Heres one in Texas

pojotex

Greenie
Jul 24, 2009
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Here's one in Texas

In 1894, the First National Bank in Bowie, Texas was robbed by four men. After escaping with the $28,000 in stolen loot, they headed north, stopping after a long day’s ride on the south bank of the flooded Red River on the Texas - Oklahoma border. In the meantime, Lewis Palmore, a U.S. Deputy Marshal in Indian Territory ( Oklahoma ,) received a telegram from the Bowie City Marshal, that the bandits were headed his way.

Realizing that the thieves would have to cross the flooded Red River at Rock Crossing, he made preparations for a posse to be waiting the next morning. When the robbers started their departure the next day, they spied a posse quickly approaching from the south and plunged into the river, swimming beside their horses. Little did they realize that they were swimming directly into the hands of yet another posse waiting for them on the other side of the river. Palmore, along with two deputies, quickly arrested the four men, finding in their saddlebags, some $18,000 in paper money. However, also taken from the bank was $10,000 in $20 gold pieces. Of these, not a single one was found.

The outlaws were then taken to Fort Smith, Arkansas, where they were sentenced to hang by Judge Isaac Parker . U.S. Deputy Marshal Palmore was there for the execution and as one of the robbers waited to for his execution, he told the lawman that they had hidden the gold coins near their final campsite on the south bank of the Red River. On his return to Oklahoma , Palmore searched the are over and over looking for the gold coins, but was never able to find them. Later, he told the tale to his son, who also searched the site with a metal detector. Though Frank had the advantage of advanced technology to help him in his search, he too was unsuccessful.

The cache is said to be buried somewhere between the bridge on Highway 81 and the mouth of the Little Wichita.

Attachments

• Rock Crossing.jpg
    Rock Crossing.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 1,263
  • Rock Crossing.kml
    1.6 KB · Views: 125

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Here's one in Texas

I was looking on google earth and was studying the possible route from Bowie, providing they went straight due headed north, it could be possible they were at the creek 6 miles east of the bridge at 81.

I may be wrong but from many things I read up on when robbers/outlaws ran from the law, etc, they would ride up through creeks/rivers so the posse couldn't track them. It just seems the other creek to the east going into the Red River would be logic. But who knows, there is a lot of ground to cover!

mydejavooo

Oct 26, 2011
Hansen, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Spectrum XLT e-series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Time to get out the ol' detector and start swinging and walking!! ;D

DeJa

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008

Big holes in this one. The Deems account is amatuerish (Judge Parker hanged men horseback). Gary Taylor was unable to prove robbery happened. Frank Palmore's search with metal detector is unbelievable due to time frame. Say he used md in 1950's, that
would be nearly 60 years after the fact. Doesn't add up.

wx5jcp

Greenie
Feb 19, 2012
Ponca City, OK
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SharpShooter II
Primary Interest:
Other

I would also be careful to study whether or not floods and changes in the path of the river may have occured. Lots of legends of lost treasure due to shifting river beds.

ChuckGlenn

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How would you go about hunting there? isn't it all private land? :icon_scratch:

poftravel

Apr 4, 2012
Coppell, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett TA300, GTAx-1250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not too far from Dallas I did the math and the odds of finding this are about the same as Powerball.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread