What's new

Hewing axe

Nathan W

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
10,891
Golden Thread
0
Seen this sticking out and wanted to move it out of way to get a button and seen it was an interesting one. I might restore this one and put a handle on it
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3472.webp
    IMG_3472.webp
    3.1 MB · Views: 200
Upvote 28
I have 2 hatchets with heads that looks similar to yours. Both have a single bevel and neither an offset handle. They were (and still are in my shop) carpenter's bench hatchets, used for roughing out a shape from a piece of wood. I use them for rough squaring short, round sections of small tree trunks. I guess that is a type of hewing. Axes with bigger heads were used by standing on a round timber and using a long-handled axe with a big head to smooth (hew) one side.
One of my hatchets has "Plumb" marked on one side of the blade. Yours may have a maker's mark too which will be revealed when you clean it up. It looks fairly modern to me and should be a useful tool.
 
Seen this sticking out and wanted to move it out of way to get a button and seen it was an interesting one. I might restore this one and put a handle on it
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 
Cleaned it up , I can't see a makers mark any where I've looked . I was wrong earlier about both sides of blade being sharpened. Only one side is sharpened
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3520.webp
    IMG_3520.webp
    4.2 MB · Views: 61
It looks good. I really like axe heads like this. Attractive in a display and a useful tool too if you have a shop. After sandpapering mine I used a rust reacting coating on it and then shaped and fitted a handle on it. I actually used another bench hatchet of the same type to rough out the handle blank from a piece of ash tree trunk.
 
Seen this sticking out and wanted to move it out of way to get a button and seen it was an interesting one. I might restore this one and put a handle on it
That’s a good find. I love restoring these old tools. Some folks would toss it but bringing it back to what it was made for is wonderful.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom