What's new

Hewing axe

Nathan W

Silver Member
Joined
Jan 14, 2023
Messages
3,469
Reaction score
10,891
Golden Thread
0
Seen this sticking out and wanted to move it out of way to get a button and seen it was an interesting one. I might restore this one and put a handle on it
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3472.webp
    IMG_3472.webp
    3.1 MB · Views: 200
Upvote 28
It does look like a old Hand Hewing Axe - cool find !

I'd also consider restoring it.
There are some good rust removers on the market - paint - new handle - done.
Even if you never use it - it would make a great looking wall hanger.
 
It does look like a old Hand Hewing Axe - cool find !

I'd also consider restoring it.
There are some good rust removers on the market - paint - new handle - done.
Even if you never use it - it would make a great looking wall hanger.
Yeah I like displaying my things , no room in cabinet now so wall it is lol
 
Nice.
I have one almost exactly like that.
Clean it up and use it.
 
Thanks for the photo, while it's is a very nice broadhead axe, it's not a hewing axe, while you can hew a log with a regular axe it just doesn't as good a job and not as easy as it is with a true hewing axe, true hewing axes are flat and beveled only on one side of the blade so one can get a more flat cut when squaring up a log, here's a photo of a left hand hewing axe.

1770868265761.webp
 
Thanks for the photo, while it's is a very nice broadhead axe, it's not a hewing axe, while you can hew a log with a regular axe it just doesn't as good a job and not as easy as it is with a true hewing axe, true hewing axes are flat and beveled only on one side of the blade so one can get a more flat cut when squaring up a log, here's a photo of a left hand hewing axe.

View attachment 2244132
Ok, I see what your saying from that angle , thanks for the clarification. I'm still excited.
 
Thanks for the photo, while it's is a very nice broadhead axe, it's not a hewing axe, while you can hew a log with a regular axe it just doesn't as good a job and not as easy as it is with a true hewing axe, true hewing axes are flat and beveled only on one side of the blade so one can get a more flat cut when squaring up a log, here's a photo of a left hand hewing axe.

View attachment 2244132
It's normally a shorter handle like a hatchet correct? I was going to get one but didn't want a standard long handle like on newer axes
 
It's normally a shorter handle like a hatchet correct? I was going to get one but didn't want a standard long handle like on newer axes
Yes hewing axes have a short handle, like a hatchet, also many of them had an offset/bent handle so your knuckles didn't get banged up while using, here's photo showing an offset socket and a bent handle, and also a link explaining a bit more about hewing axes.

1770896710640.webp
 
The eye on that axe appears to be off set, but it is too small to be an axe. I'm calling it a hewing hatchet.
 
@Nathan W
Your axe/hatchet head does appear to have an offset eye and a single bevel.
They can be set them up as right hand or left hand, depending on which side the handle is.
Here's another angle-
96877a_1200x.jpg
 
Last edited:
I still don't see it being offset enough and I can't even see the edge.

Nathan is it flat on one side and only sharpened on the other side?
 
Last edited:
I still don't see it being offset enough and I can't even see the edge.

Nathan is it flat on one side and only sharpened on the other side?
I got it soaking. I agree with you it's offset but not by much. I think the edges are the same on both sides
 
i've often wondered how those off set handles were made.
steam, perhaps?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom