What's new

Hey Guys!

Miroku

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2013
Messages
57
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys! I just bought my first metal detector. A Garrett Ace 250?

Anyway, I live in Elkhart County and will call today to see about metal detecting. It seems like parks are good but I heard old houses can be great too.

The question I have for you veterans is how can I find old homes/properties?
I know I will have to knock and ask permission but I have no idea where to go other than a few parks and that's only if it's legal to go to them. Otherwise I am at a loss. I haven't received my metal detector yet, won't be here for a week, but I plan on doing my house and a family property. After that I am lost. Thanks guys!
 
Do you have a historical society in your county? if so look for old maps, plat maps are good for locating stuff and old news papers will probably be there as well. Look for old church camps, old boy scout camps, old picnic groves, old meeting places for(masons, odd fellows, ect), old baseball diamonds, old home sites, if you find an old picnic grove in an old paper it will probably only say at so in so's land then you will need to go to an old plat map close to that year to see where so in so's property was at. Make sure to look up a video on how to cut a nice plug so you won't damage any grass when you dig someone yard( that way you'll be invited back and they might know someone else to let you detect) and use a hand towel to put the extra dirt on so you won't leave dirt on the grass and makes it easier to locate a deep coin your digging. Good luck and HH
 
Theirs a few of us in elkhart county, you can hunt the parks, just make sure you fill your holes in and remove the trash you dig.

Greg
 
Thanks Greg, I actually didn't know there were people in Elkhart on here. I saw some for Indy and stuff. I am just gonna return my MD because I just don't have a lot of time to dig, plus the cops around here give me looks. I figured all the good places have been done before. I am kinda late into this. I do like CRH but my banks get people returning halves all the time so I am afraid I am getting other people's returns. I just wish I started this stuff years ago.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom