Hi Folks; Does Anyone here make custom knives ???

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; I want a digging knife custom made for me. Here are the basic specs.. I want the blade 10" long from the tang to the point. I want it 4" wide. I want razor saw teeth on both sides of the blade from point to tang that will tear through "ANY" tree roots I may encounter when I'm digging. I want a groove in the center of the blade to act as a shovel / dirt groove. I want the blade marked with 1/2" measurement marks the length of the blade. And lastly it must stand up to ANY type of digging I may be doing. Including moving small rocks.
If you know of anyone please respond here and then we can talk via the PM mode ok. Thanks. PEACE:RONB

PS: I'm not hunting for bear. I want to skin a Rhino.!!!! :evil6:

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was a custom knifemaker once long ago. It paid the bills for a few years and I grew bored, so I moved on to something else.

I have a sweet hand digger design all drawn out, but no desire to make it right now. I actually find the Lesche to be all I need. If roots are a problem, I have a small sharpened shovel.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What he said! Love the first two drop point hunters. Beautiful work Higgy!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Higgy , Those knives are beautiful - nice work ! That folder with the Damascus blade is Sweet ! Barker , when a custom knife maker
tells you he's happy with a Lesche , I think you that tells you something .

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must be one rock of a rhino! Sounds like you've had it with reg. market knife diggers.
Let us know if you get what your looking for.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went to a local metal shop and spoke with the owner. He called over one of his guys and I told him what I wanted. The whole job cost me $125.00

OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks; Thanks. YUP, I'm tired of the market type digging knives. I want one that will tear through anything. I get a lot of tree roots because I dig in the woods a lot. I'm tired of playing games with them. I like terry's idea. I'll check that angle out ok. I'll let you guys know how I make out.
Hey Higgy; Want to fire up your old knife making gear ?? Let me know.
PEACE:RONB

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Folks; Thanks. YUP, I'm tired of the market type digging knives. I want one that will tear through anything. I get a lot of tree roots because I dig in the woods a lot. I'm tired of playing games with them. I like terry's idea. I'll check that angle out ok. I'll let you guys know how I make out.
Hey Higgy; Want to fire up your old knife making gear ?? Let me know.
PEACE:RONB

I was thinking of a hori hori-style knife with a stainless 154CM or 440C stainless blade. It would have a linen micarta handle, and a saw-tooth edge on the side of the buyer's choosing. It would be a superb choice for a digging tool, but there is a little problem...

I'd have to charge an arm and a leg for it. Maybe some balls too.

The steel aint cheap and it takes a while to make it and heat treat it and get everything right. I'd have to charge $150 for them, and I don't think that would be right. The big killer here is that you'll only be shoving it into the dirt, and it will only get dull and scratched and start looking like every other digger you've ever bought.

I'm of the opinion that if you want a decent tool, then you need to look no further than any decent quality Japanese hori-hori. The blade steel is Japanese, and for carbon steel, it is spectacular. Strong, reliable and cheap. Win.

Of course, I like my Lesche, but its now become commonplace. If you want a Lesche on steroids, I would like to suggest an Ironclad Viking, made by our own TNet member, Goldmoon.

In the end, there is no secret digger out there. its a matter of knowing the limitations of what you have in your hand. I always hunt with my Sampson on my left hand, and my Lesche on my belt. Best of both worlds. Keep your blade sharp, and roots give it up.

I apologize if this sounds like I am trying to talk you out of your dream for a custom digger, Barker, but the reality is that what you are looking for really isn't practical, but the Ironclad Viking comes as close as you can get to what you describe.

I hope this helps.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember if someone offers to make one for you they are making a digger, not a knife.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OP
OP
B

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys;; Higgy, Thanks for the advice. Boatload, that knife is close but no cigar. I want one that has teeth on BOTH sides and not the small tiny little teeth I see there ok. I want one where when I push it in it with RIP through anything in its path. I've had 50 diggers with the tiny teeth on them. Please pardon my language but they BEEEEP. !!! I'm tired of them. You spend more time sawing than is necessary or practical. That's frustrating. I also want one that will go 10" down on the first push. That way I "know" I'm below my targets depth most times. I'm just plain tired of fooling around.
Granted the Letsche is a nice tool but I just want something better and "all in one" you know what I mean ?? PS: I don't mind the price either higgy. "A servant is worth his keep." I don't mind paying for something I want ok. I await your replies. PEACE:RONB

PS: How do I reach goldmoon about the Ironclad Viking ?? Maybe some pictures of it as well ok. Thanks.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread