Hi from North Carolina

D

Dirtypaws

;) HI everyone.

This is my first day posting on Treasurenet and I've been enjoying reading lots of you guys posts this evening.
I tried to get onto a popular metal detecting forum on Yahoo and meet some fellow detectorists but was kind of ran off by my use of a Discovery 3000 metal detector and not a more expensive brand . I have never really talked to anyone else with a metal detector and got a bad impression...so just to satisfy my curiosity I came here. My history with metal detecting goes back a few years when I used to live in Florida and acquired an old Garrett 1000 built for the NTHL back in the late '60s from my late Grandfather. I used it alot down there and managed to find lots of coins at the beach down by the boardwalk in Daytona, and some jewelry in local parks. I then bought a new White's Coinmaster Classic II from a dealer down there, which I had up until a couple of years ago when I moved to Michigan and stopped detecting due to lack of time. Now after a couple of more moves I'm settled down a Little south of Raleigh, NC and getting back into detecting full throttle. I pulled that old Garrett out and started hitting some local parks here. I now have a little ceadar treasure chest with over $40 in change for my troubles :) My budget for a detector was next to nothing so I got on Ebay and bought a used Discovery 3000 for a hundred bucks recently and after a week or so It came in and Ive been using it alot over the last few weeks. Ive noticed the pain in my arm has left after using that old Garrett. The new detector is SO much lighter MUCH easier to swing. And it's a killer on dimes. been finding 10 - 20 almost every outing. It's a little hard to read nickels but that could be my lack of experience with this model. I have not found any old coins yet but lots of clad and jewelry popping up. Found a nice womans silver ring at 3" at a local park two weeks ago, and a few Sterling hoop earings here and there. I'd love to hear from others that have used this model or other models of BH metal detectors and tell me what youve found. I'm thinking of upgrading to a BH Time ranger in the future and would like to find out if they perform ok. I also enjoy Bottle hunting, arrowhead hunting, and exploring old buildings. Just got pemission to check out an 1880's one room schoolhouse out in the country, but it's quite overgrown and hard to detect. we'll see how it turns out :) ..Thanks for reading my post and Happy hunting!!

Dirtypaws

Upvote 0
T

TimeDog

Well Welcome to being back to detecting and it looks like you are finding things so keep on going on and keep digging. As to your detector, hey as long as you get to know it and under what it's telling you then you will really find things.

Good Luck and Finding More...

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
Welcome Diirtypaws,
You'll meet some of the nicest and most helpful people in the hobby here at TresureNet. There is a wealth of information available on any subject you wish to post. Everyone is treated as an equal and no one is going to judge you on how expensive or inexpensive your detector is. Whatever detector works for you, then that is the one to use.
I believe that the first detector that I owned back in 1968 was a BFO Bounty Hunter. It would be considered antiquated by todays standards but it did get me started in the hobby. It was a good machine in those days.

Keep digging in the dirt and keep posting your finds (and questions).

Best of luck,
BRD

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Dirtypaws,

Welcome to the forum. There's good and bad apples no matter where you go, so just hang with the good ones when you can :)

Sounds like we live pretty close. I live in the Fuquay-Varina area. Maybe we can hook up and hunt a few spots together. Feel free to email me directly. Hope you have a blast hunting!

Darren in NC

detectoman

Jun 7, 2004
Southern California
Welcome Dirtypaws,I think your going to like it here. Everyone is pretty cool and they love to metal detect. I'm new here, but have been reading the forum for a while. I have an old Compass relic magnum 6 automatic, metal detector and a Bounty Hunter Prospector. I picked up a Garrett GTA 350, and all were inexspensive. The compass I got in 1974, still works good. I like the Bounty Hunter for coin shooting, it's quick and easy and cost only $100. So it does'nt what it cost as long as you like it and it works for you. Good hunting and find lots of treasure...Jim

trgams

Apr 21, 2003
Columbia, SC, USA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Welcome!!! The first detector I got was a Radio-shack version of a Bounty Hunter machine. It actually works really well. It won't detect below about 6" or so, at least I haven't found anything below this depth with it, but I have made alot of finds with it. It seems to me the whole point is to get outside, and get some exercise, and hopefully you will find something you really think is cool, who cares what anyone else thinks!!! Anyways, welcome to the forum, and Happy Hunting!!! :)

OP
OP
D

Dirtypaws

Hi to everyone for the more than warm welcome!! I've definatly found the place for me! Darren, yes you are VERY close to me and I'd enjoy getting out with you sometime ;D Anyone who wants to contact me direct it's [email protected] Feel free to IM me if you see me online! Thanks again all

Dirtypaws

elkboy

Jan 29, 2004
Muncie, IND
Detector(s) used
whites XLT Spectrum
If it works for you that's all that counts. Good luck and Hope you hit it big some day. HH Dave ;D

sssnake31

Dec 27, 2004
Northwest Indiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought I'd jump in and say Welcome also, new myself and usually am just reading not posting. Let us know how the abandoned building turns out.

C

Charles,Oak Island

Dirtypaws
Welcome to treasurenet. you will find a bunch of nice folks here even one or two up in your area.I see Darren is already on the ball.
enjoy

C

czman

Hey welcome and it does not matter the brand or cost of the machine you use...learn to use it and listen to what its telling you..as for those other guys that ran you off, screw them you just keep hunting and digging...again welcome and happy hunting.

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
agoodman......

Heres a link to Compass Electronics website. It has a number that you can call to get manuals.

http://www.compassmetaldetectors.com/

Heres some contact info

Compass Electronics E-Mail:
[email protected]

Phone/Fax: 503-357-2111
(Pacific Time) Remember the time when calling please.
Toll Free: 888-257-5794

Compass Electronics 397 SW Stringtown Rd.
Forest Grove, Oregon 97116

Compass Electronics P.O. Box 543
Forest Grove, Oregon 97116

(Owners manuals for new and older model Compass detectors)
$11.00 per manual, $3.00 shipping. Checks or money orders only.
Send only to the P.O. Box above with info where to ship manual.

Maybe this will help you.

arcmk7

Dec 26, 2005
Hi,

I'm also new to treasurenet, and am glad to see a bunch of tarheels around here. I'm in Carrboro, and am about to buy my first MD (yes, am fishing for advice, and hoping to try out a few MDs before buying). So if anyone around the Chapel Hill/ Raleigh/ Durham area would care to have some MD fun with a newbie, then please contact me here. Best wishes to all, and looking forward to getting some huntin' in...

NCHermit

Dec 15, 2005
Glad to see more NC folks getting involved.Don't worry about what machine you use.Use what you have and have fun with it!As with any tool,it's all in how you use it,not what you're using.There are many neat spots all over the state to hunt.Try to hunt them all!

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
welcome to the forum, keep hunting ur find them old coins, tnks or ur post,,

JAG

Nov 16, 2005
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Hi arcmk7:

I sent you an email, lets get together and go hunting. I'm still looking for some good spots in the Raleigh/Durham/Chaell Hill area and I would also like to take a trip out to the beach.

Jerry (JAG)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread