What's new

Hill Billy and Buckleboy Tear Up Kentucky

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am on vacation this week visiting Old Kentucky and stopped in to visit with my good buddy Hill Billy and do some hardcore diggin. 8) HB wanted to take me to a good spot that he had located in the middle of a giant soybean field. The temps were in the 30s for the highs, but we got out there in the early a.m. when it was 17 degrees. :icon_pirat:

We pounded the site for a while, digging some old buttons, including some "dandy" buttons and a few tombacs too. I got one really big tombac that I like a lot (with shank). I dug a really nice relic--a bone-handled, 1850s folding dirk (large-sized knife, with a scepter-like end on one side).

Pretty soon HB had a good find or two in his pocket, including this interesting stamped brass figure:

Head.webp

Then ole HB yelled "Coin!" and I came running with the camera. I saw a small cent in the dirt and took a photo:

FE dirt.webp

The coin was thick, and we were thinking either early IH or a FE. It was an 1858 Flying Eagle cent. :headbang:

FE hand.webp

We kept digging, getting some bits and pieces of brass and a few more buttons. HB got a nice mid-19th c. heel plate and a butt plate from a musket. As the hunt wore on, we moved into an area that seemed like horses were tethered. We dug horseshoes, and I got a two-holed oval strap guide made out of pewter or similar material. HB dug a really nice dandy button with a design:

Dandy.webp

Then I got a great signal that overloaded my machine. I swept the soybean stubble aside with my foot and I was looking down at a complete spur! Now, I have dug bits and pieces of spurs, and watched HB dig two complete spurs, and Rodeo dig several more complete spurs, but I have never dug a whole one. (My last spur was dug in six pieces strewn across the site by the plough.) This type attached to the boot in an unusual way, and I am looking for information to date the spur. It is unmarked.) Here it is, freshly dug:

Spur1.webp

Spur2.webp

What was great about this site is that we knew we could angle for some early Large Cents, Coppers, or some Spanish, due to the number of large-sized, unmarked buttons and tombacs that we found. The early coins were not to be found this trip, but I'm sure the site will get a re-hunt. ;D Here is a photo of the finds, before cleaning:

Finds All.webp

And after:

Finds All Clean.webp

HB's finds:

HB Clean.webp

And my finds (before cleaning):

BB Dirty.webp

The tombac buttons we dug:

Tombacs.webp

MORE photos in the first reply below:
 
Upvote 12
A buckle that I dug turned out to be a Colonial-Era Shoe Buckle! :headbang:

1.webp

2.webp

And here's the Bone-Handled Folding Dirk that I dug. The knife is 6 1/2 inches long as-is, appears to be of German manufacture, and dates from the 1850s--special thanks to Tnet member Kuger for the ID! A photo of a similar antique knife, with german silver fittings, appears below the photos of my find:

3.webp

4.webp

folding dirk.webp

Here's HB's 1858 Flying Eagle:

5.webp

The stamped brass "head" that HB dug:

8.webp

And the spur I dug, front and back (in the photo of the back, it is propped up on a peculiar little brass tag that I found that has the number "16" on it.)

6.webp

7.webp

Looks like the weather is gonna get colder now, and I don't know how much digging we'll be able to do, but I want to thank Hill Billy for taking me to such a great site of his, the great company, the good Bourbon, and his wife's Fine Cooking.

Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Great Finds BB. The "King of old homesites" as I have dubbed you is back in business with HB. I know how good it felt to get back with your good friend and have a fantastic hunting day. Educate me on what the oval shaped brass piece with two holes in your cleaned up finds is??? WTG and welcome back to posting, Quindy.
 
Very nicely done boys.As always told extremely well thank you !
 
Looks like a beanfield bonanza for you both :thumbsup:
Congrat on you first complete spur
Nice hunting fellas...
Soup
 
What an awesome day! 17 degrees!!! That is dedication. :notworthy:
Thanks for sharing,
Bunker
 
Looks like a lot of fun digging! The site definitely has relics that stretch back to the 1790s, which makes it surprising you didn't turn up any coppers, Large Cents, Half Cents, or Spanish. Maybe next time :thumbsup:
 
congrats. looks like a good hunt
 
Sure is great to see another excellent Buckleboy post, its been way too long since the last one. The two of you found some wonderful relics! :hello2: :icon_thumright:
 
great feild hunt :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF
 
That site definitely dates to the late-1790s. :icon_thumleft: Great hunt, guys, and I particularly like the 18th century shoe buckle frame. I also have a spot in my heart for tombacs. It is cool to see a quality hunt in Kentucky at this time of the year. I am surprised a King George copper did not pop. :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Keep the passion high!

Kirk :hello:
 
awesome finds guys, still lookin for a honey hole like that, wtg.

Todd
 
Nice finds BuckleBoy and Hill Billy, love the pics :thumbsup:
HH...Miner
 
Sure did :laughing7: Congrats 8) 8) :icon_thumleft:
 
Nice bunch of relics. Congrats on the spur.
 
great hunt bb! you know theres gotta be some coppers there. willy
 
Nice hunt and finds, congrats! HH, Mike
 
Great hunt...I really like that spur!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom