Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am on vacation this week visiting Old Kentucky and stopped in to visit with my good buddy Hill Billy and do some hardcore diggin. 8) HB wanted to take me to a good spot that he had located in the middle of a giant soybean field. The temps were in the 30s for the highs, but we got out there in the early a.m. when it was 17 degrees. :icon_pirat:

We pounded the site for a while, digging some old buttons, including some "dandy" buttons and a few tombacs too. I got one really big tombac that I like a lot (with shank). I dug a really nice relic--a bone-handled, 1850s folding dirk (large-sized knife, with a scepter-like end on one side).

Pretty soon HB had a good find or two in his pocket, including this interesting stamped brass figure:

Head.jpg

Then ole HB yelled "Coin!" and I came running with the camera. I saw a small cent in the dirt and took a photo:

FE dirt.jpg

The coin was thick, and we were thinking either early IH or a FE. It was an 1858 Flying Eagle cent. :headbang:

FE hand.jpg

We kept digging, getting some bits and pieces of brass and a few more buttons. HB got a nice mid-19th c. heel plate and a butt plate from a musket. As the hunt wore on, we moved into an area that seemed like horses were tethered. We dug horseshoes, and I got a two-holed oval strap guide made out of pewter or similar material. HB dug a really nice dandy button with a design:

Dandy.jpg

Then I got a great signal that overloaded my machine. I swept the soybean stubble aside with my foot and I was looking down at a complete spur! Now, I have dug bits and pieces of spurs, and watched HB dig two complete spurs, and Rodeo dig several more complete spurs, but I have never dug a whole one. (My last spur was dug in six pieces strewn across the site by the plough.) This type attached to the boot in an unusual way, and I am looking for information to date the spur. It is unmarked.) Here it is, freshly dug:

Spur1.jpg

Spur2.jpg

What was great about this site is that we knew we could angle for some early Large Cents, Coppers, or some Spanish, due to the number of large-sized, unmarked buttons and tombacs that we found. The early coins were not to be found this trip, but I'm sure the site will get a re-hunt. ;D Here is a photo of the finds, before cleaning:

Finds All.jpg

And after:

Finds All Clean.jpg

HB's finds:

HB Clean.jpg

And my finds (before cleaning):

BB Dirty.jpg

The tombac buttons we dug:

Tombacs.jpg

MORE photos in the first reply below:

Upvote 6

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
WoW .. You guys tore it up! Looks like some mighty fun digging!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
some nice relics there! very cool knife!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great field find's Guy's....I knew you would have to get out soon there Buckle's.Nothing like a big open field and relic's :icon_thumright:

ruffneck

Apr 3, 2009
Kansas
Detector(s) used
DFX/M6, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh come on now, you guys surely dug up some of those stinking rivets that conveniently
chime in like a penny or a dime. That's usually about 80% of my take on an old site.
Please tell me you dig them from time to time, or am i the only crazy one??

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done guys. Very nice haul. :thumbsup: Great to see another post from the Iron Brigade.
Congrats on the spur BB and that stamped "head" piece HB.
Is that TWO heel plates I am seeing there? Wasn't sure about the piece in the upper right corner of you cleaned relics. :icon_scratch:
Can't wait to see what comes out of that spot next.
-Doug-

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Congrats on some great relics and finds. Getting out when it is 17 degrees is some dedication!!!

trainermick

Jul 15, 2009
Chatham, Ontario
I found this buckle in Virginia at a well documented battle site back in the 1980s. Have not been able to id it yet. The oval is hooked onto the plate with 4 small tabs. I am very interested to see what you find out about this. I have been told that it may be a sash buckle but not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,252
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1,263
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
I would def. say early to mid 1850's on the knife Buckles.I have seen very similar folding dirks.That is a stellar find my friend!

One similar:http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-G-CROOK...975?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item2c59d6f247

Awesome! I suspected it was more than a simple pocketknife due to its size. Very cool! I really appreciate your great information, kuger! :hello2:

ruffneck said:
Oh come on now, you guys surely dug up some of those stinking rivets that conveniently
chime in like a penny or a dime. That's usually about 80% of my take on an old site.
Please tell me you dig them from time to time, or am i the only crazy one??

I don't seem to dig many of those rivets. I've dug tent grommets at CW sites. They look like lead, are fairly fragile, and ring fairly low if they are deeper than a few inches. :icon_scratch:

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very nice....glad to see you and HB got out and dug some good stuff, that shoe buckle is nice...to bad it took a hit.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i am not a professional knife ider but i have been in the collecting biz for anout 25 of my as of next tuesday 42 years. i would say late 1700 to early 1800s i know that is about a 50 year span but that is as close as i can get with my knowledge of knifes. my self i probably have the largest collection or usa made gerbers usa made sharades and case and case xx and buck hunting knifes in the 4 state area outside of a retail store. the 4 state area is missouri, iowa, nebraska and kansas.

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great frozen assets. The folding dirk is a beauty along with the spur. Arty

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Looks like a fun day of diggin'. :icon_thumright: Glad I got to dig with you a little while on Saturday. I know there's an early 1800's house site on that property somewhere in the briars. :icon_scratch: Have a safe trip back!

HH!!
Cm2db :hello:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds and congrats on braving the 17 degrees! :icon_thumright: Breezie

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Well Buck, it was great to see you for a couple days. I'm sorry the other sites weren't as old as this one, but this one made up for that I think. The knife was one of the first things you found there and as you said your favorite find of the hunt. I'm glad I found this site and had the patience to hold out on hunting it without you. I will go back at some point and look for those early Spanish and Coppers ;D. It's unfortunate the weather is getting ready to turn for the worst as far as digging goes, but if your still here, and theres an opportunity, let me know.

PS. Make sure I get my GPS back before you leave sucker.

Hill Billy

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra
A surprise it was to see BB and HB hitting the fields again. Nice over all hunt with plenty of relics to hold you all over till spring. Hope to see you guys together and finding and displaying all Ky has to offer.
Chris

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like HB will have another great year! BB, I like that knife also and to get some info on it is icing on the cake. Glad you two got out for a hunt and hope you enjoyed the vacation away from your new area.

Don

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice spur yoke :icon_thumleft:
Too bad it's missing the rowel and heel chains.

Great finds though, and way to brave the temps :notworthy:

Happy New Year BB !
GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread