What's new

Hill Billy and Buckleboy Tear Up Kentucky

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am on vacation this week visiting Old Kentucky and stopped in to visit with my good buddy Hill Billy and do some hardcore diggin. 8) HB wanted to take me to a good spot that he had located in the middle of a giant soybean field. The temps were in the 30s for the highs, but we got out there in the early a.m. when it was 17 degrees. :icon_pirat:

We pounded the site for a while, digging some old buttons, including some "dandy" buttons and a few tombacs too. I got one really big tombac that I like a lot (with shank). I dug a really nice relic--a bone-handled, 1850s folding dirk (large-sized knife, with a scepter-like end on one side).

Pretty soon HB had a good find or two in his pocket, including this interesting stamped brass figure:

Head.webp

Then ole HB yelled "Coin!" and I came running with the camera. I saw a small cent in the dirt and took a photo:

FE dirt.webp

The coin was thick, and we were thinking either early IH or a FE. It was an 1858 Flying Eagle cent. :headbang:

FE hand.webp

We kept digging, getting some bits and pieces of brass and a few more buttons. HB got a nice mid-19th c. heel plate and a butt plate from a musket. As the hunt wore on, we moved into an area that seemed like horses were tethered. We dug horseshoes, and I got a two-holed oval strap guide made out of pewter or similar material. HB dug a really nice dandy button with a design:

Dandy.webp

Then I got a great signal that overloaded my machine. I swept the soybean stubble aside with my foot and I was looking down at a complete spur! Now, I have dug bits and pieces of spurs, and watched HB dig two complete spurs, and Rodeo dig several more complete spurs, but I have never dug a whole one. (My last spur was dug in six pieces strewn across the site by the plough.) This type attached to the boot in an unusual way, and I am looking for information to date the spur. It is unmarked.) Here it is, freshly dug:

Spur1.webp

Spur2.webp

What was great about this site is that we knew we could angle for some early Large Cents, Coppers, or some Spanish, due to the number of large-sized, unmarked buttons and tombacs that we found. The early coins were not to be found this trip, but I'm sure the site will get a re-hunt. ;D Here is a photo of the finds, before cleaning:

Finds All.webp

And after:

Finds All Clean.webp

HB's finds:

HB Clean.webp

And my finds (before cleaning):

BB Dirty.webp

The tombac buttons we dug:

Tombacs.webp

MORE photos in the first reply below:
 
Upvote 12
Great bunch of finds BB...congrats on the spur :thumbsup:
 
WoW .. You guys tore it up! Looks like some mighty fun digging!
 
some nice relics there! very cool knife!
 
Great field find's Guy's....I knew you would have to get out soon there Buckle's.Nothing like a big open field and relic's :icon_thumright:
 
Oh come on now, you guys surely dug up some of those stinking rivets that conveniently
chime in like a penny or a dime. That's usually about 80% of my take on an old site.
Please tell me you dig them from time to time, or am i the only crazy one??
 
Well done guys. Very nice haul. :thumbsup: Great to see another post from the Iron Brigade.
Congrats on the spur BB and that stamped "head" piece HB.
Is that TWO heel plates I am seeing there? Wasn't sure about the piece in the upper right corner of you cleaned relics. :icon_scratch:
Can't wait to see what comes out of that spot next.
-Doug-
 
Congrats on some great relics and finds. Getting out when it is 17 degrees is some dedication!!!
 
I found this buckle in Virginia at a well documented battle site back in the 1980s. Have not been able to id it yet. The oval is hooked onto the plate with 4 small tabs. I am very interested to see what you find out about this. I have been told that it may be a sash buckle but not sure.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0001.webp
    IMG_0001.webp
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,263
  • IMG_0002.webp
    IMG_0002.webp
    57.6 KB · Views: 1,278
kuger said:
I would def. say early to mid 1850's on the knife Buckles.I have seen very similar folding dirks.That is a stellar find my friend!

One similar:http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-G-CROOK...975?pt=Collectible_Knives&hash=item2c59d6f247

Awesome! I suspected it was more than a simple pocketknife due to its size. Very cool! I really appreciate your great information, kuger! :hello2:

ruffneck said:
Oh come on now, you guys surely dug up some of those stinking rivets that conveniently
chime in like a penny or a dime. That's usually about 80% of my take on an old site.
Please tell me you dig them from time to time, or am i the only crazy one??

I don't seem to dig many of those rivets. I've dug tent grommets at CW sites. They look like lead, are fairly fragile, and ring fairly low if they are deeper than a few inches. :icon_scratch:
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Very very nice....glad to see you and HB got out and dug some good stuff, that shoe buckle is nice...to bad it took a hit.
 
i am not a professional knife ider but i have been in the collecting biz for anout 25 of my as of next tuesday 42 years. i would say late 1700 to early 1800s i know that is about a 50 year span but that is as close as i can get with my knowledge of knifes. my self i probably have the largest collection or usa made gerbers usa made sharades and case and case xx and buck hunting knifes in the 4 state area outside of a retail store. the 4 state area is missouri, iowa, nebraska and kansas.
 
Great frozen assets. The folding dirk is a beauty along with the spur. Arty
 
Looks like a fun day of diggin'. :icon_thumright: Glad I got to dig with you a little while on Saturday. I know there's an early 1800's house site on that property somewhere in the briars. :icon_scratch: Have a safe trip back!

HH!!
Cm2db :hello:
 
Nice finds and congrats on braving the 17 degrees! :icon_thumright: Breezie
 
Well Buck, it was great to see you for a couple days. I'm sorry the other sites weren't as old as this one, but this one made up for that I think. The knife was one of the first things you found there and as you said your favorite find of the hunt. I'm glad I found this site and had the patience to hold out on hunting it without you. I will go back at some point and look for those early Spanish and Coppers ;D. It's unfortunate the weather is getting ready to turn for the worst as far as digging goes, but if your still here, and theres an opportunity, let me know.

PS. Make sure I get my GPS back before you leave sucker.

Hill Billy
 
A surprise it was to see BB and HB hitting the fields again. Nice over all hunt with plenty of relics to hold you all over till spring. Hope to see you guys together and finding and displaying all Ky has to offer.
Chris
 
Looks like HB will have another great year! BB, I like that knife also and to get some info on it is icing on the cake. Glad you two got out for a hunt and hope you enjoyed the vacation away from your new area.

Don
 
Nice spur yoke :icon_thumleft:
Too bad it's missing the rowel and heel chains.

Great finds though, and way to brave the temps :notworthy:

Happy New Year BB !
GG~
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom