What's new

Hill Billy and Buckleboy Tear Up Kentucky

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All,

I am on vacation this week visiting Old Kentucky and stopped in to visit with my good buddy Hill Billy and do some hardcore diggin. 8) HB wanted to take me to a good spot that he had located in the middle of a giant soybean field. The temps were in the 30s for the highs, but we got out there in the early a.m. when it was 17 degrees. :icon_pirat:

We pounded the site for a while, digging some old buttons, including some "dandy" buttons and a few tombacs too. I got one really big tombac that I like a lot (with shank). I dug a really nice relic--a bone-handled, 1850s folding dirk (large-sized knife, with a scepter-like end on one side).

Pretty soon HB had a good find or two in his pocket, including this interesting stamped brass figure:

Head.webp

Then ole HB yelled "Coin!" and I came running with the camera. I saw a small cent in the dirt and took a photo:

FE dirt.webp

The coin was thick, and we were thinking either early IH or a FE. It was an 1858 Flying Eagle cent. :headbang:

FE hand.webp

We kept digging, getting some bits and pieces of brass and a few more buttons. HB got a nice mid-19th c. heel plate and a butt plate from a musket. As the hunt wore on, we moved into an area that seemed like horses were tethered. We dug horseshoes, and I got a two-holed oval strap guide made out of pewter or similar material. HB dug a really nice dandy button with a design:

Dandy.webp

Then I got a great signal that overloaded my machine. I swept the soybean stubble aside with my foot and I was looking down at a complete spur! Now, I have dug bits and pieces of spurs, and watched HB dig two complete spurs, and Rodeo dig several more complete spurs, but I have never dug a whole one. (My last spur was dug in six pieces strewn across the site by the plough.) This type attached to the boot in an unusual way, and I am looking for information to date the spur. It is unmarked.) Here it is, freshly dug:

Spur1.webp

Spur2.webp

What was great about this site is that we knew we could angle for some early Large Cents, Coppers, or some Spanish, due to the number of large-sized, unmarked buttons and tombacs that we found. The early coins were not to be found this trip, but I'm sure the site will get a re-hunt. ;D Here is a photo of the finds, before cleaning:

Finds All.webp

And after:

Finds All Clean.webp

HB's finds:

HB Clean.webp

And my finds (before cleaning):

BB Dirty.webp

The tombac buttons we dug:

Tombacs.webp

MORE photos in the first reply below:
 
Upvote 12
romeo-1 said:
Great hunt...I really like that spur!

Romeo,

That means a lot coming from a digger as good as you. Thank you for your kind reply. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Thank you all for your kind replies. :thumbsup:

Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Hey BB,great to see a post from you.Great bunch of relics!! I see one of the mystery brass oval shaped relics right below the spur.Were those ever positively identified in the "what is it" forum? I know the post went on for months and we've all dug a bunch of them.Great digs!! HH,Jerry
 
Hey Will Congrats to you and Hillbilly on a really nice hunt with a great variety bud. I bet your loving it being back home for vacation. I hope you guys continue to tear it up until you have to leave again! :headbang:
 
Ohio Jerry said:
Hey BB,great to see a post from you.Great bunch of relics!! I see one of the mystery brass oval shaped relics right below the spur.Were those ever positively identified in the "what is it" forum? I know the post went on for months and we've all dug a bunch of them.Great digs!! HH,Jerry

I am satisfied that these ovals, and their companion "u-shaped pieces" are strap guides from saddles. The UK finds database does not have the u-shaped pieces identified correctly, so it was tough for us to get an ID--but hopefully someone will notify the archaeologists of our findings in the post here on TreasureNet. Here is a link to the 4 pages of commentary it took to ID these pieces:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,175963.0.html

It's great to hear from you. Don't be a stranger, my friend. :icon_sunny:

-Buckles
 
Great Post with some nice finds!
congrats on all!
love the dirk and spur, Heck I love em all :thumbsup:
 
Also that Spur is Awesome Buck! Looks like the odd variant that used chains to attach across the front of the boot! Very Nice find my friend.
 
You're making me want to head back to KY and hunt!
Kudos!
Carl
 
CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
You're making me want to head back to KY and hunt!
Kudos!
Carl

It is a startling story, isn't it? ;D
 
WOW! some nice finds there, I've never seen a spur like that one, any idea how old it is? HH
 
MKnTenn said:
WOW! some nice finds there, I've never seen a spur like that one, any idea how old it is? HH

I feel certain that it is 1860s or earlier. Probably not much earlier than a few decades though. Looks like chains held it on the boot.

Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Hello All,

I am on vacation this week visiting Old Kentucky and stopped in to visit with my good buddy Hill Billy and do some hardcore diggin. 8) HB wanted to take me to a good spot that he had located in the middle of a giant soybean field. The temps were in the 30s for the highs, but we got out there in the early a.m. when it was 17 degrees. :icon_pirat:

We pounded the site for a while, digging some old buttons, including some "dandy" buttons and a few tombacs too. I got one really big tombac that I like a lot (with shank). I dug a really nice relic--a bone-handled, 1850s folding dirk (large-sized knife, with a scepter-like end on one side).

Pretty soon HB had a good find or two in his pocket, including this interesting stamped brass figure:

View attachment 486838

Then ole HB yelled "Coin!" and I came running with the camera. I saw a small cent in the dirt and took a photo:

View attachment 486839

The coin was thick, and we were thinking either early IH or a FE. It was an 1858 Flying Eagle cent. :headbang:

View attachment 486840

We kept digging, getting some bits and pieces of brass and a few more buttons. HB got a nice mid-19th c. heel plate and a butt plate from a musket. As the hunt wore on, we moved into an area that seemed like horses were tethered. We dug horseshoes, and I got a two-holed oval strap guide made out of pewter or similar material. HB dug a really nice dandy button with a design:

View attachment 486841

Then I got a great signal that overloaded my machine. I swept the soybean stubble aside with my foot and I was looking down at a complete spur! Now, I have dug bits and pieces of spurs, and watched HB dig two complete spurs, and Rodeo dig several more complete spurs, but I have never dug a whole one. (My last spur was dug in six pieces strewn across the site by the plough.) This type attached to the boot in an unusual way, and I am looking for information to date the spur. It is unmarked.) Here it is, freshly dug:

View attachment 486842

View attachment 486843

What was great about this site is that we knew we could angle for some early Large Cents, Coppers, or some Spanish, due to the number of large-sized, unmarked buttons and tombacs that we found. The early coins were not to be found this trip, but I'm sure the site will get a re-hunt. ;D Here is a photo of the finds, before cleaning:

View attachment 486844

And after:

View attachment 486845

HB's finds:

View attachment 486846

And my finds (before cleaning):

View attachment 486847

The tombac buttons we dug:

View attachment 486848

MORE photos in the first reply below:

I know it's an older post, was looking something up .
but hey I like it.
Davers
 
Cool bunch'a finds.

congrats on what appears to be a really fun hunt.
 
UNFROGGING REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!vanzutphen
 
Nice variety of finds there! some really cool pieces there!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom