What's new

Hillsboro cache

GatorBoy

Gold Member
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
14,812
Reaction score
6,156
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back a metal detectorist posted an amazing cache of Hillsboro points found in north Florida. He and his father were digging musket balls when he found them. I remember a guy asking to buy them right here on Treasurenet in the thread he posted.
Well looks like it didn't take him long to sell them.
Maybey they will go to a good home.
Here they are.
www.primitivepast.com/catalog/artifacts
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Got you some advertisement anyway.......the early nineties ...the beginning of the end.. the beginning of www.all of it... where is Jimmy Carter?
 
Last edited:
You are one of few who offer these guys...that's actually what caught my eye first.

ForumRunner_20130216_080905.webp
 
Good stuff!
 
Nice to meet you Primitive. Welcome to the site.
 
Hi Jon, it seems that the best discoveries are always questioned and rightfully so. It takes years of the right experience to know a reproduction when you see it. In the case of my cache it is real. I hunted the site for years where the cache was found and I know from my own personal finds that the material, workmanship, patina and style are all correct.

I have not examined the famous "batwing" cache but I know the finder and believe that they are real. The site that produced those wonderful spears is an exceptional place where the finest points were recovered in large numbers.

Hopefully this helps to address your questions.

Glad to hear it!

I was hoping all the caches from that site were legit! I imagine some of those same guys that were telling me they doubted them, were saying I was full of it once I walked away!!

They are a lot more pretty than mine, but I wouldn't trade mine for any of them because of what they mean to me...finding them with my dad and all....
 
Seeing yours in found condition with the dirt still on them in the environment they were found..with your first hand account was a real treat!
 
welcome Primative Past are you also calusa31? ZF?? you set up at the Tampa Fossil show right? To the board here this guy and his wife are legit and he has been a long time active collector as well and well know in our comminity of collectors.......it is hard to know and remember all these website names and who runs what when you are deep in the woods with your spoon pushin a ledge,lol
 
Just got home, so I just used a flash on a couple.....

Points001.jpg


Points002.jpg


Points003.jpg
 
Seeing how the Batwing Cache was multiple caches maybe Jon Phillips there are more in the area where you found yours. Hoping you can checkit out ?
 
Last edited:
jeff-gordon said:
if I found anything like that, I would always treasure it. ever wonder why they hid them in caches?

I was told they stored them in caches because to them it was as good as money or like
 
Hello centfldigger, I am calusa31 on ebay, my name is Zach Frignoca and I will be set up at the Tampa show again this year. Thank you for taking the time to post the above centfldigger.


Welcome to t-net and thank you for taking the time to stop by and clear things up. It seems you enjoy artifacts and bring a lot of knowledge. We appreciate that and hope you will have time to continue to post and share.
Good luck!
 
I have some huge spears or points I inherited from my grandfather they are perfect if I post a pic could u tell me more about them?

image-1096162255.webp
 
Soooo..glad I started this thread! I should screw up more often..
 
Welcome to t-net and thank you for taking the time to stop by and clear things up. It seems you enjoy artifacts and bring a lot of knowledge. We appreciate that and hope you will have time to continue to post and share.
Good luck!

Thank you Tnmountains. This is an outstanding website and I am happy to be a member.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Primitive Past said:
Are your spears from Ohio?

Yes that's where my grandfather was from but I have no idea where he got these he had a lot of points and pots and pipes
 
Get-the-point said:
Those points are what we call Grey Ghosts. The points were made off a saw slabs of mostly Edwards chert, but also made with other flint and cherts.................GTP

Arrowheads Indian Artifacts Frame of Old Gray Ghosts | eBay

Image Search Results for grey ghosts artifacts

I could believe the brown one is but the white one my brother took to a big collector in Indiana and he said it was an amazing piece and tried to buy it from him for somewhere around 3500.00 which made my brother upset because he only wanted info and we would never get rid of it or any of our pieces
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom