What's new

historic maps

rex

Full Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2012
Messages
203
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whats the best website for historic maps?
 
I wish someone would reply other than me I'd like info to
 
Check The national map.com
 
Library of Congress, Washington, D. C. -map room.
What maps are you guys looking for, specifically?
Don.....
don, i am looking for historic maps of new england. small towns. 1700 and 1800s. thanks.
 
I have been disapointed. Google Earth historic view, does not go back very far, but good for recent birdseye view, Penn Pilot a little better. Keep hearing about over laying old map with recent, never works for my area. I'm listening
 
Historic Map Works.com
 
Historic Map Works.com

Agreed.....I've been taking hi res mid-late 1800s maps from HMW and overlaying them (big pain in the keister) on satellite imagery from Google Earth....get it as close as possible and "save as" a .kmz file. All your geo data is saved then too...transfer to a Garmin 62 series compatible (or other) GPS and go find the foundies where modern sat image and old map structure show where something was, but isn't anymore...
 
we have a old map section on the forums with a few links that are good
 
HistoricAerials.com or ya could go to the library
 
A link to this site was posted on TNet a few days ago....several files to check and they aren't specifically labeled but you can download each file (PDF) and scroll through them. Pretty good stuff! Think there is a bunch for your area.....just gonna have to dig through them.

Maps | Treasure Illustrated
 
In New Hampshire there was commisioned County maps (dated 1858 +_) for most countys---showing all homes as of that date--I have Merrimack cty hanging in the kitchen // this was also done in 1894 ish--there is a webb site that sells these by county ( www.old-maps.cpm ) Perry
 
I don't normally hunt sites where I need old maps. But I've bookmarked this thread for future reference.
 
The Official Military Atlas of The Civil War
 
Try this:

Google

It's a really powerful tool; more stuff coming on line all the time, and once you can "talk Google", you'll find stuff you can't bookmark fast enough.
 
Try and find a reprinted copy of Abby Hemingways gazeteers. They were originally printed in the 1870's. I have a couple from Vt, and they come bycounty. They show all the roads, parks, churches, schools businesses,houses and property lines with the owners names . I paid under $20 for them, but if you find an original, keep it, it's worth quite a bit.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom