Hit a hunted yard and got Silver#50fty!! The owner just about took it. Story below the pics.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped at an older rock home with a good sized back yard and front. When I first approached the guy he said, “ Oh My Brother already hunted it”, and as I always do, “ Well do You mind if I give it a shot anyway?” He said, “Sure, why not”. Off I went!!!!
Only found a Canadian Cent and one Wheat Cent in the front. A lot of swinging for that😳.
I moved onto the back and about 30 minutes into the back yard , I got a nice 89 on the Deus2. I was thinking Dime. About 4” down the first thing I pulled out was a large rusted nail.
The next scoop about 7” I saw what I was least expecting, a 1942 Walker! Checked the hole again and got another large rusty nail. Checked the hole again and there was still something in it. Turned out to be an old lead printing plate about 11” down. That’s a lot of stuff masking the Half!! Great signal. Glad I dig all the good signals!!! Also got an old buckle , maybe a sash buckle🤷🏼‍♂️.
Walker-1942
Wheat-1913
Canadian Cent-1982
Silver#50fty!!!!
08B8A285-CC57-4252-A529-6B07A64C132B.jpeg
4CDAEBF3-7299-4D4D-8585-5A6ECD08AB2E.jpeg
6DDB2A9F-C999-482D-96CE-3FC897813F55.jpeg
C95E84E1-EA0C-4BB3-B672-89B7AF1617D6.jpeg

Ok so I go inside after the guy invited Me in, and specifically made sure to say” ok so I can keep all the coins I found right?”
He said “ oh yeah for sure”. So I laid everything out on his little table. He liked the old printing plate so
I just handed it to him to keep. After he saw the clad, Wheat and Canadian Penny then I got the Walking Liberty out, and as soon as I sat it down, he grabbed it up, pulled his wallet out and threw a $5 bill back on the table. I’m like” Hey, No that’s not gonna work!” He said” I’ll give You $20”!
I was like “no that’s not the agreement that We made before I even got it out”
After talking through it and trying over and over finally he said” ok, I wouldn’t have even known it was there and You did ask before You laid it out” He handed it back after he took pictures of it. I thanked him, and eventually left. He was a nice guy, just at that moment 😳
I stress this because I’ve found that most people once they see an old Silver coin, their minds change pretty quick, so take this with caution. Sometimes you can tell they’re like that and it’s best not to even show them the Silver after You get the permission to keep the coins. But sometimes not!! I’ve actually lost a few keepers due to this.
Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!!!!
11E378CE-4AC7-4E1B-B8A6-FF0503B8354D.jpeg
B8DABFE9-A480-4882-9BEA-AFDD27038ECD.jpeg
28FD0217-97FC-4921-9FA7-A133DC2A4217.jpeg

Ladies Victorian Era Sash Buckle. I straightened it out.

Last edited:
Upvote 31

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since it isn't a rare date/MM, and I have found plenty of Walkers, I would probably have taken the $20 and made the land owner happy. With $20, I could buy one in better shape and probably get a burger on the way home.

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver, a real nice keeper.

Honesty is the best policy they say, and you did good.
Monetary gain is one thing if there was a pre-agreement.
In your case the permission was getting a tad greedy.

I was approached to detect a school house, and the church across the road in a hamlet near me.
The author/historian owns both-never been detected as they've owned for 50+ yrs.
Here is what she said:

"I'd be really interested in you detecting our properties-one small condition-I get to keep everything.
I'll follow you around to watch the recoveries"
My reply:
Oh thank You
But I'm really busy right now-maybe sometime in the future.

What I was really thinking:
You daft .....
Do really think I want to spend my hard earned time working for you.
In your dreams
I still have 8000+ acres of open invitation-where they don't care what I find.
So when I'm done those acres I'll detect yours.
What a thing to say...I might have countered with something...but probably best to move on...

OP
OP
Digger RJ

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh there was a bit more added to the thought but it is mostly :censored:
😂🤣
Beautiful walker, good thing you stuck to your guns, congrats!
Are those wick trimming scissors? Very cool.
Since it isn't a rare date/MM, and I have found plenty of Walkers, I would probably have taken the $20 and made the land owner happy. With $20, I could buy one in better shape and probably get a burger on the way home.
It’s just the point.
If he would have asked Me and it was presented differently, or if he said he wanted any old coins before I broke them out when I asked. I probably would’ve caved and got a burger..

OP
OP
Digger RJ

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped at an older rock home with a good sized back yard and front. When I first approached the guy he said, “ Oh My Brother already hunted it”, and as I always do, “ Well do You mind if I give it a shot anyway?” He said, “Sure, why not”. Off I went!!!!
Only found a Canadian Cent and one Wheat Cent in the front. A lot of swinging for that😳.
I moved onto the back and about 30 minutes into the back yard , I got a nice 89 on the Deus2. I was thinking Dime. About 4” down the first thing I pulled out was a large rusted nail.
The next scoop about 7” I saw what I was least expecting, a 1942 Walker! Checked the hole again and got another large rusty nail. Checked the hole again and there was still something in it. Turned out to be an old lead printing plate about 11” down. That’s a lot of stuff masking the Half!! Great signal. Glad I dig all the good signals!!! Also got an old buckle , maybe a sash buckle🤷🏼‍♂️.
Walker-1942
Wheat-1913
Canadian Cent-1982
Silver#50fty!!!! View attachment 2055057 View attachment 2055058 View attachment 2055059 View attachment 2055060
Ok so I go inside after the guy invited Me in, and specifically made sure to say” ok so I can keep all the coins I found right?”
He said “ oh yeah for sure”. So I laid everything out on his little table. He liked the old printing plate so
I just handed it to him to keep. After he saw the clad, Wheat and Canadian Penny then I got the Walking Liberty out, and as soon as I sat it down, he grabbed it up, pulled his wallet out and threw a $5 bill back on the table. I’m like” Hey, No that’s not gonna work!” He said” I’ll give You $20”!
After talking through it and trying over and over finally he said” ok, I wouldn’t have even known it was there and You did ask before You laid it out” He handed it back after he took pictures of it. I thanked him, and eventually left. He was a nice guy, just at that moment 😳
I stress this because I’ve found that most people once they see an old Silver coin, their minds change pretty quick, so take this with caution. Sometimes you can tell they’re like that and it’s best not to even show them the Silver after You get the permission to keep the coins. But sometimes not!! I’ve actually lost a few keepers due to this.
That's an interesting take too...
Thanks Everyone!!

KodyB

Aug 28, 2022
Walker-1942
Wheat-1913
Canadian Cent-1982
Silver#50fty!!!! View attachment 2055057 View attachment 2055058 View attachment 2055059 View attachment 2055060

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver, a real nice keeper.

Honesty is the best policy they say, and you did good.
Monetary gain is one thing if there was a pre-agreement.
In your case the permission was getting a tad greedy.

I was approached to detect a school house, and the church across the road in a hamlet near me.
The author/historian owns both-never been detected as they've owned for 50+ yrs.
Here is what she said:

"I'd be really interested in you detecting our properties-one small condition-I get to keep everything.
I'll follow you around to watch the recoveries"
My reply:
Oh thank You
But I'm really busy right now-maybe sometime in the future.

What I was really thinking:
You daft .....
Do really think I want to spend my hard earned time working for you.
In your dreams
I still have 8000+ acres of open invitation-where they don't care what I find.
So when I'm done those acres I'll detect yours.
If you do get a bit of free time & want a laugh, take her up on the offer.
Only dig Iron signals & pass them all over, see how long she does this for until she losses interest, & when she does, state that you haven't finished getting her to dispose of all your rubbish yet.

OP
OP
Digger RJ

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m in agreement. Since you asked before hand and after about being able to keep all coins you find and he said YES then I wouldn’t feel bad about keeping it.
Awesome Walker btw! How many is that
I’m in agreement. Since you asked before hand and after about being able to keep all coins you find and he said YES then I wouldn’t feel bad about keeping it.
Awesome Walker btw! How many is that now?
Thanks KodyB!! I’m at 2 Walkers for the year!

OP
OP
Digger RJ

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do get a bit of free time & want a laugh, take her up on the offer.
Only dig Iron signals & pass them all over, see how long she does this for until she losses interest, & when she does, state that you haven't finished getting her to dispose of all your rubbish yet.
Thanks CRUSADER!! That’d definitely Bore them gone🤣

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Walker-1942
Wheat-1913
Canadian Cent-1982
Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!!!! View attachment 2055346 View attachment 2055347 View attachment 2055348
Congratulations on the big silver 👍🏻

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
50 silver coins for the year is a wonderful thing. When that 50th coin turns out to be a beautiful walker...even better!
Congrats....now get back out there and see if you can up your silver total before the end of the year!

OP
OP
Digger RJ

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50 silver coins for the year is a wonderful thing. When that 50th coin turns out to be a beautiful walker...even better!
Congrats....now get back out there and see if you can up your silver total before the end of the year!
Thanks!! I’m headed out tomorrow for coins, and Thursday morning for CW bullets. Hopefully I can find some of both😁

GDub62

Feb 2, 2022
Georgia
Walker-1942
Wheat-1913
Canadian Cent-1982
Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!!!! View attachment 2055346 View attachment 2055347 View attachment 2055348
How in the world did you straighten that out. Everything I try to straighten breaks, especially brass. Good job

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread