Hobby? Ask yourself this question.

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
Many of you are aware of the tactics of the green movement (govt. agency's included) to define us as hobbyist or recreational gold prospectors, some are not aware.
I have thoroughly enjoyed my time prospecting in the sierras and continually look forward to each trip out. When I find a deposit of gold I try different techniques and equipment configurations to maximize my profit with the hope of freedom. This freedom I hope for is the ability to work the ground for enough money to live without having to rely upon anyone else for a period of a time, or ever. Some of you have done this already and I am envious. Some are just starting and I wish you all the luck. But if you call yourself a hobbyist or consider this a recreation ask yourself this question, if during your next trip you found a deposit you could replace your income with would you quit your job stake a clam, and start mining? If so you are a prospector period. If not for the sake of people like me who hope for freedom please refrain from using the terms hobby or recreation. Thank you.

Upvote 0

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember all prospectors are miners and don’t let anyone tell you differently. It makes sense when you think about it. One must prospect for the gold before you can mine it. Simple. Refrain from calling mining “hobby” or “recreational” mining. Our foes are trying to divide and conquer, first by separating us into two targets and labeling us as “miners” and “recreational miners,” as if to say miners who have another source of income are not real miners. In fact, there is no distinction under the law — a miner is a miner is a miner. No exceptions. The minute a miner finds a significant gold deposit, he or she becomes a full-time miner. That’s a no-brainer, but yet there are many who don’t seem to — or claim not to — understand this simple concept.
By BRAD JONES
GPAA Managing Editor. Sounds like good advice to me!! Seems pretty easy to do!

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
I would just add that hobby and or recreational miners have NONE of the rights provided by the laws passed by the US Congress. I'll keep my god given rights, and best of luck to you hobby and recreational miners keeping your privileges

Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
SO MUCH FOR FISHING WITH A TEN DOLLAR POLE:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:
PS.. MOST STATES IT IS ILLEGAL TO TAKE FISH WITH A SPORT FISHING LICENSE AND THEN SELL FISH, THAT WOULD MAKE YOU A COMMERCIAL FISHERMAN, REQUIRING A WHOLE DIFFERENT LICENSE:-(

View attachment 931400

Well,
We have mining claims, mine for gold, and only work at mining.
So far we have pulled out over 200 ounces between 5 guys in two years. We have defended our selves in court and won multiple times. Still we hear this same argument.

The rights we are born with in this country are unique, they occur in no other place and are practiced here as in no other time in history. So have a light attitude while your rights are being flushed. We will stand and be counted as our ancestors did. You can stay home and wonder

Last edited:
OP
OP
mxer47

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
For those of you who publicly deemed yourselves hobbyist or recreational prospectors are no longer protected by current mining laws. Good luck with all that.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Devilfish, there are a couple of points to your argument I think your confused about. For instance, why do we need to amend the 1872 mining laws? As a student of water and mineral rights you should be aware that the laws are already in place, they simply need to be left alone, honored, and enforced.

One other point, commercial fisheries have their own regulatory agencies, laws and regulations. Sport fisheries also have their own separate laws and regulations. Mining sees no discrepancy, we no matter what you call yourself are lumped together and protected under the same set of laws. So using fishing as an example, maybe I can explain the significance of why we don't say hobby or recreational. Let's say they decide to lump all fishing commercial and sport fishing into one set of rules. For a long period of time it works because it was written with a common sense approach. Then groups opposed to fishing, any fishing, sue the government. The result of this lawsuit is that all fisherman have to use one rod and reel per boat, no more nets or pots. For whatever reason like now they are able to impose this on a technicality of nomenclature- recreational vs commercial. How would this effect the one boat family operation that could make a reasonable living when they were allowed to use nets, an efficient proven method for harvesting their Catch? The weekend sportfisherman doesn't care the new law doesn't effect him. Then the same folks that sued to rid the fishing industry of nets decides that it was such a success that now they'll sue to stop using broadcasters, or metal lures because they rust and on and on it goes. This is what's happening now to mining.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And for those of you that pan only, watch out!
Here in my hometown ,they designated most of the Chetco river "wild and scenic"
Not even panning allowed....

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
7 of those that responded are either self proclaimed hobbyists, recreational prospectors, or indifferent to the whole Ordeal.

Maybe 6 of these so call hobbyist are not who we think they are and the 7th has lost his marbles.

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
Devilfish, there are a couple of points to your argument I think your confused about. For instance, why do we need to amend the 1872 mining laws? As a student of water and mineral rights you should be aware that the laws are already in place, they simply need to be left alone, honored, and enforced. One other point, commercial fisheries have their own regulatory agencies, laws and regulations. Sport fisheries also have their own separate laws and regulations. Mining sees no discrepancy, we no matter what you call yourself are lumped together and protected under the same set of laws. So using fishing as an example, maybe I can explain the significance of why we don't say hobby or recreational. Let's say they decide to lump all fishing commercial and sport fishing into one set of rules. For a long period of time it works because it was written with a common sense approach. Then groups opposed to fishing, any fishing, sue the government. The result of this lawsuit is that all fisherman have to use one rod and reel per boat, no more nets or pots. For whatever reason like now they are able to impose this on a technicality of nomenclature- recreational vs commercial. How would this effect the one boat family operation that could make a reasonable living when they were allowed to use nets, an efficient proven method for harvesting their Catch? The weekend sportfisherman doesn't care the new law doesn't effect him. Then the same folks that sued to rid the fishing industry of nets decides that it was such a success that now they'll sue to stop using broadcasters, or metal lures because they rust and on and on it goes. This is what's happening now to mining.
dont get me wrong I am all for keeping mining laws static. Wouldn't want to see more regs. My fishing analogy is just that. We had to put regs in place on fishing because there were a few who exploited it. Just like the buffalo we killed by the millions. My point is these regs mining were bound to come but your right is the job of all of us in the prospecting community to protect our rights and that's why I give my dies to GPAA and am going to attend local clubs whom do take action. I'm not bashing anyone or downplaying prospecting. Just pointing out that every resource in the USA was exploited to a criminal extent at some time in it's history and it sucks were paying for those mistakes now. But fight I will for the right lobby the right protection and the right to prospect but I won't stop using words like hobby or recreation. Not until I get used to not using them. Asking a lot from a lot of part time prospectors. Lol. Chill on the hobby word thing I trust our lawmakers are smart enough to understand what we want without single words messing it all up.

OP
OP
mxer47

mxer47

Jul 28, 2013
I trust our lawmakers are power hungry enough to use one word against us. Especially the ones who aren't elected.

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I trust our lawmakers are smart enough to understand what we want without single words messing it all up.
Really!!! I quit trusting any law makers long ago when jobs went out the window, were importing 6 to 1 what were exporting to China. Healthcare is a joke, SS is going to be a bust, Interstate is a mess, 30,000 bridges are need of work, We are like 25th in the world in education, were 17 trillion dollars in the hole and you think the lawmakers are SMART? What crystal ball are you looking into?

Last edited:

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Remember all prospectors are miners and don’t let anyone tell you differently. It makes sense when you think about it. One must prospect for the gold before you can mine it. Simple. Refrain from calling mining “hobby” or “recreational” mining. Our foes are trying to divide and conquer, first by separating us into two targets and labeling us as “miners” and “recreational miners,” as if to say miners who have another source of income are not real miners. In fact, there is no distinction under the law — a miner is a miner is a miner. No exceptions. The minute a miner finds a significant gold deposit, he or she becomes a full-time miner. That’s a no-brainer, but yet there are many who don’t seem to — or claim not to — understand this simple concept.
By BRAD JONES
GPAA Managing Editor. Sounds like good advice to me!! Seems pretty easy to do!

Above is well stated. A very good point considering not a one of us would not mine after a successful prospecting find. The distinction of recreational was not something we came up with but the label stuck none the less.

"And for those of you that pan only, watch out!
Not even panning allowed...."

I feel your pain neighbor...I'm in Fort Dick. When I started, I was initially told by the FS that not only was prospecting forbidden, so was metal detecting. When pressed further, he said I could detect but not dig. Really? We deserve better, and I found better, but it's all going to be uphill from here. But yes... tis no hobby to me and there is nothing recreational about filling buckets.

Oregon Viking, we should plot our own strategy for "the border" war soon.:icon_thumleft:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Above is well stated. A very good point considering not a one of us would not mine after a successful prospecting find. The distinction of recreational was not something we came up with but the label stuck none the less.

I feel your pain neighbor...I'm in Fort Dick. When I started, I was initially told by the FS that not only was prospecting forbidden, so was metal detecting. When pressed further, he said I could detect but not dig. Really? We deserve better, and I found better, but it's all going to be uphill from here. But yes... tis no hobby to me and there is nothing recreational about filling buckets.

Oregon Viking, we should plot our own strategy for "the border" war soon.:icon_thumleft:
Hell Yeh!
You can pan the Smith can't you? And the tributaries?
If the GPAA Managing editor (and many others) Ask that we don't say Hobby, and/or recreational... I can!
Its not complicated, in fact it's very easy to understand!

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some folks have had Land , mineral and riparian rights from waaay back when.
unless you have a bottomless bank account, your days are numbered.

Your enemy is given grants from the federal government (enviros, tree/kelp huggers) in order to fight your state! literally and figuratively

I have the stretch marks to prove it!

Last edited:

Pirate George

Greenie
Dec 31, 2013
SLC, Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett at gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

I am so dang tired of political correctness and the tired of the up in arms attitude of people take so easily. The laws are laws even when they are wrong. I find most people will only ***** and moan over the little things and do not or will not make any effort to change what they are grumbling about. I have followed and read a lot of posts on this site and this thread is a large waste of time. Going back to my beer and complain.....dang I am just like the majority!!!

Jeff95531

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2013
Deep in the redwoods of the TRUE Northern CA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hell Yeh!
You can pan the Smith can't you? And the tributaries?
If the GPAA Managing editor (and many others) Ask that we don't say Hobby, and/or recreational... I can!
Its not complicated, in fact it's very easy to understand!

The Smith is my sanctuary but it does not give up gold easily. The Smith and it's tributaries are open to a point. No sluice, pans and hand tools, nothing allowed from Oct to Jun. Oh yes, then there's the part that says since it's recreational, you can't sell it. No, I'm not making that up.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In response to your plight in California and other states, I absolutely believe that you should keep fighting hard to maintain your rights to mine.

Losing them or having your State override them is in no way right whatsoever.

I hope none of you ever misunderstands how I feel on the issue.

I posted what I did in the hopes of reuniting you as a group instead of watching a splintering action based on divisive disagreement. In this matter, healthy discussion, even argument, is necessary and essential as you hammer out your common direction.

You all have a common interest, a common passion perhaps for some. I believe you can find a way to come together as was mentioned earlier, a way to unite to fight the good fight for what the Federal Government has claimed to be your right.

Every empire that's ever existed under the sun has found and used the power of divide and conquer, precisely because it works, and it works well at getting rid of opposition. The Great State of California is engaged in that opposing action against you right now, and it's spreading to other states as well (as you all know).

Find a way to come together nationally (a national lobby would be fantastic) to support your desire to continue to do what you love. You are much more powerful as a whole than you'll ever be as single-minded parts--full-time, part-time, recreational or whatever miner brand you brand yourselves with.

All the best, and I have nothing but respect for your great country,

Lanny

Last edited:

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well put Lanny, wish I could write as eloquently, my passion overrides my writing ability on a regular basis.

ssdevilfish

Jan 8, 2014
Nice post. Maybe the GPAA should be our lobbyists. I give them money in hopes they can protect our rights. Don't know who else can. Tell me and I'll send donations. But lanny is right got to come together as some type of group.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread