What's new

Holes

hbrown22

Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2013
Messages
385
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
north Middle Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone have a close up example of a drilled hole? The examples I've seen online look countersunk. Are the holes even on both ends? Are there any ridges/grooves within the hole or is it smooth? Any websites detailing how it was done?

Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
Depends upon what material was drilled. Here is 3 types of stone drilled. Hope this helps.

photo copy 3.webp

photo copy 4.webp

photo copy 5.webp
 
All the pieces I have found drilled is broken at the drill entry. But Tnm gave some nice examples.
 
Quatra concave Adriana gorget. Drilled from one side.
 

Attachments

  • image-2997917345.webp
    image-2997917345.webp
    58.7 KB · Views: 108
  • image-940024756.webp
    image-940024756.webp
    24.5 KB · Views: 101
Those are some great examples:thumbsup:stone bead 001.webpstone bead 002.webpThis is a stone bead.
 
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=189357891241090"
Not sure if this is going to work or not cause I've never tried to load a video.:icon_scratch: Had to get my wife to use her facebook account.Really It's the only way to see the beauty of this piece/gorget as it will really light up & flash from all the crystals in it.Dad found it many years ago here on the coast.I think it's a type of schist with some type of crystals in it.Don't think they are garnets which are one of the common types but not sure myself what they are.Anyway I know they had a hard time drilling through this piece cause of them.It's really something to look at in the day light under the sun very cool.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
 
Last edited:
Great video Timekiller. Excellent piece. Thanks for the view.
 
Great video Timekiller. Excellent piece. Thanks for the view.
Yea you can't get it to show right from just a pic. it has to be moved around to catch the light.I tell ya it puts on a show in the sun light.Also pretty cool to see that when they drilled it & ran into those crystals going through that they were so hard the hole had to be kinda drilled around them.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:
 
If you think it will help you, I can show you what the holes should NOT look like. I got burned a while back. If the fake can help someone, I'll feel like I got some money refunded. Let me know if you want to see the holes. I don't want to confuse you at all.
 
https://www.facebook.com/video/embed?video_id=189357891241090"
Not sure if this is going to work or not cause I've never tried to load a video.:icon_scratch: Had to get my wife to use her facebook account.Really It's the only way to see the beauty of this piece/gorget as it will really light up & flash from all the crystals in it.Dad found it many years ago here on the coast.I think it's a type of schist with some type of crystals in it.Don't think they are garnets which are one of the common types but not sure myself what they are.Anyway I know they had a hard time drilling through this piece cause of them.It's really something to look at in the day light under the sun very cool.
Take Care,
Pete,:hello:

Very cool! Must have been made to impress a woman ;)
 
Thanks! I like the piece in the middle.

Thank you. It is like a soap stone. A local material we have. I was happy to find a whole one.
 
How did you find out it was fake? I don't think I'd be able to tell a difference.

It's quite a long story. I started comparing this piece to others online and noticed it just wasn't right. I posted the here and others noticed that this piece did not look right. If you notice,the holes all taper the same on the top. The taper is a perfect fit for a drill chuck also. The patina is wrong and around the holes a scar from the drill chuck can be seen. The slate is frail also.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom