Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ordered a sand scoop. 4 1/2 lbs. thinking that is nothing. WOW ON THAT WEIGHT. No way I can carry that and my detector for hours on the beach.

I have to return and get a 2 lb scoop :laughing9:

scoop is beautifully built and solid as can be and I hate to return but no way this is going all day with me. won't make it :)

hey all you gals, what are you carrying for sand scoops into the water?

Upvote 0

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I carry a 4 1/2 lb aluminum scoop with a welded stainless steel lip. It is H E A V Y!, but necessary for the type of terrain on which I hunt here in CT.

That's why I load up on Aleve 2hrs. before heading for the beach.

I'm hoping that some company will come out with a lighter weight, yet sturdy scoop that will serve my purpose.

Lorraine

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: I can understand having the Aleve to help.

Well the 2 lb scoops are aluminum and 'don't seem' as sturdy as the stainless.

So I opted for a smaller stainless. It is a little more than 3 lbs. So while I dropped about 1 1/2 lbs it might help a bit but I bet that 3 lb scoop is going to just as heavy just as fast. But those 'cute' ones with the wire mesh bucket I believe would crush easy. I do want something that will last and has power.

my beach hunting is sporadic. Live 5 hrs from the beach so I get there about only 5 times per year. (not enough for me :) )

but this lighter 3 lber should be good in the lakes here.

well exchanging so I shall see what happens. Off to post office to send back the big boy. Very good quality tho. I was surprised of the heft of that thing.

hey Lorraine should I be taking out stock in Aleve LOL, yes I should because I believe Aleve is in my immediate future also carrying around a heavy detector and heavy scoop :laughing9:

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmm, Lorraine, that sounds just like the RTG I recently ordered, complete with stainless lip. Hope it is not a big issue. I had two lumbar disks replaced in late February ...
Farmerchick, I live about two hours from our coast, so I feel your pain about not getting nearly enough beach time.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UT OH Bill.......mine had the lip also. it is super quality. I really want to keep it but have to shut down that weight a bit. whew

what I liked was the way the front was cut for digging deep. but sadly it has to go back.

I hope it is ok when you get it! One second out of the box and I said, oh heck no. I can't handle this :laughing9:

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
FarmerChick: I will simply look at the extra weight as part of my physical therapy program. I'm actually more concerned about humping around our cold 52-degree Oregon beaches in heavy waders than I am about the scoop, at least at this point.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have the big aluminium one, but I would like to have a titanium lip put on mine, its a hell of alot lighter then the stainless steel ones. wish some fellows would sell them.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoulder strap....I'm sure you've carried purses heavier then that scoop! :laughing7: But seriously,....no wait...., I was being serious! :laughing7:

Just drag it behind you....that's what I do most of the time. Leaves a nice little trail so you know where you've been. I know what you're thinking, "men are like that, always needing guidance."

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigscoop, I'd be curious to see your strap arrangement.

I don't use a shoulder strap...but, (as long as the bucket wasn't too big), at one time I did use a belt and one of those steel loop-type hammer holders. I just slid the handle of the scoop down through the loop and carried the scoop at my side. It was great when hunting those places where targets were very scarce. The handle just sort of drags behind you. :thumbsup: It was a lot like carrying a sword...which is why I still call my scoop my "saber" to this very day. :laughing7:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bent the basket on my back up stainless scoop - digigng in the rocks
heavy gauge aluminum takes the beating

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoulder strap....I'm sure you've carried purses heavier then that scoop! :laughing7: But seriously,....no wait...., I was being serious! :laughing7:

Just drag it behind you....that's what I do most of the time. Leaves a nice little trail so you know where you've been. I know what you're thinking, "men are like that, always needing guidance."
I drag mine too...7 to 8 hours, no problem.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FarmerChick: I will simply look at the extra weight as part of my physical therapy program. I'm actually more concerned about humping around our cold 52-degree Oregon beaches in heavy waders than I am about the scoop, at least at this point.

oh I have been in waders before and yes it all gets heavy !! I like bathing suit beach hunting better :laughing9:

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok the vote is for dragging it around. I can loop some rope onto the the thing and tie it to my waist. :laughing9:

I will figure out something. everyone at some point comes up with some genius idea to make that weight easier to handle

I didn't do aluminum because I read here that people said their hands turn black from holding so I went stainless.

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you guys/gals hunting on the beach itself or in the water? If you're hunting on the beach, couldn't you use a small 1-2lb aluminum scoop that you just hook to a belt loop with one of those huge carbiners from Home Depot? I have the scoop but haven't bought the carbiner yet.. I bought my scoop from Woodland Detectors here on the forum. If you don't mind bending down each time it seems like a good solution? I don't know, just curious. I've only hunted the beach a couple times.

large-snap-hook-aluminum-carabiner-red-with-soft-grip-30869n.jpg

lorraine

Silver Member
Dec 15, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT; Sov Elite
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Those carbiners are handy for carting the scoop around, but I didn't use it for too long a time.

They are very good for holding the scoop in place and allowing the drag marks to show so that you can see the line of your grid pattern , but I got tired of having to unclip it so many times ..I dig everything.

I just drag the scoop with my free hand, or place it over my shoulder at intervals.

Lorraine

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those carbiners are handy for carting the scoop around, but I didn't use it for too long a time.

They are very good for holding the scoop in place and allowing the drag marks to show so that you can see the line of your grid pattern , but I got tired of having to unclip it so many times ..I dig everything.

I just drag the scoop with my free hand, or place it over my shoulder at intervals.

Lorraine
I do the same thing.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am water hunting so the long handle scoop is important right now. for beach hunting in the past I used a strainer....yes a regular old plastic kitchen strainer and it worked wonders, a whopping $2.99 at the dollar store :) in fact, I will continue to use it in soft sand but wanted the big boy cause I am going into the water now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions