HOLY HUSTLE BATMAN!

Frodov

Bronze Member
May 24, 2007
Lexington, KY
Detector(s) used
Whites Prism IV / Bullseye II pinpointer
Good afternoon all. And yes, it WAS a good afternoon. The morning was a little draggy, but the afternoon was DEFFINATELY "good". First day off of my three day cycle. I work three days and am off three days... barring any need for overtime or emergencies that is. Today was supposed to have been for relaxing and unwinding, that's what I had planned on doing. But then I woke up early. *sigh* Don't you just HATE that? Waking up early on your day off without planning to do so. What the hell I was up already so I made breakfast for my missus and me. Bacon, eggs, toast, all the things that my doctor says I should NOT eat, or not much of it anyway. I sat down with my darling wife to enjoy our morning repast in a leisurely manner and before the first bite is take, she asks me what time to tell her mother we are coming over to pick her up.?
* ? * ? * There I was paused, forkfull of egg halfway to my opened and now salivating mouth, looking sideways at my wife as she begins dialing her mother's number on the phone. <rolling eyes> So much for a liesurely meal and relaxing over the paper for a bit.. now I have to not only fall in line with a schedule of events, but I have to MAKE the schedule.. or at least the first portion of it. *sigh*
I'd forgotten that we were going to the farmers' market this morning, but I didn't know we were picking up my mother-in-law first. Oh well, it's not like it's a big deal or anything, I'm lucky, I have a rather pleasant mother in law. Besides, my wife was going to go shopping with my MIL this (late) morning and afternoon. So, I loaded up the metal detector in the trunk of the car along with the cooler for produce purchases from the market and some water to drink, then we headed off to market.. well, to MIL's then to market.
After perusing the produce, and contemplating candles, fawning over fresh flowers and banquetting (nasally) over the fresh baked goods, we made our way back to the car and from there to MIL's apartment. I dropped off the ladies and made a beeline for one of our big parks here in town.. one where the city puts on free movies every Friday night, outdoors, on the side of a hill where people come and spread out blankets and lawn chairs to watch the movies and be feasted upon by the mosquitoes and other crawly critters in the grass. Last week I found a good amount of change, a bunch of promotional stuff that was lost or abandoned in the grass and even a still working cell phone.. which by the by has made it's way back to its rightfull owner who was thrilled that anyone would be so kind as to return it.
So I'm pulling up to this little gem of a detecting spot and I see someone else has already beat me to the site. There's a guy halfway up the hillside just a swinging away to beat the band.. his young "son" was busy hunting by eyeballs back and forth across the viewing area. I'll call this detectorist "Mr. Hustle" What with his no shirt, running shorts and running shoes and out of the gates speed hunting style. And certainly not a very considerate detectorist either. He didn't refill or barely bothered many of the holes he dug on the hillside. As I was parking my car, I saw another detectorist pulling his rig out of the back of his truck as he was gearing up to search the very same site. *sigh*
This guy was a little older than Mr. Hustle and definitely more considerate, and a lot more thorough in his searching techniques. I could tell that this guy had been detecting for a while and was serious about it. I figured I'd let them have the hill and I'd just detect along the shaded grass and tree lined edge of the field where the picnic shelter was and the picnic tables along the parking lot. And I did pretty well. I was finding a LOT of pennies, no old ones mind you, but lots of them, and occasional dimes and a nickle, even a few quarters.. I found LOTS of pull tabs and some older twist off metal bottle caps. I was in the process of digging one of these targets when the older gentleman.. and I don't mean he was terribly aged or anything by that, <grin> just can't remember the guys name. Anyway, he stopped and we struck up a conversation for a few minutes, checking out each other's detectors.. kind of like any other enthusiasts.. car junkies check out other cars, bikes to bikes, and we detectorist.. each other's magic wands..er.. metal detectors!
As we were talking, Mr. Hustle and his sidekick took their leave of the hillside and the search. The older guy, too, commented on how some people are sloppy about filling in their holes after digging. He spied my Bulls eye with an envious glance and said he wished he had one today. That comment would come back to me later, but for the moment I was happy to show it to him and brag on it's helping ME find stuff more easily. I asked my new friend if he was online or had heard of TreasureNet, and he hadn't so I gave him the URL and as he headed towards his truck to call it a day we wished each other good luck. I now had the whole area to myself, sometimes patience pays off. .. ALWAYS pays off!
Not really expecting to find much of anything following along behind two other detectorist in the same day, I started slowly crossing the viewing area in a grid pattern, "mowing the lawn" so to speak. Working my way up the hill, I started finding stuff right off the bat. I was beginning to wonder if perhaps both of the other guys had hit this portion of the hillside, but then I'd seen BOTH of them with my own eyes sweep this area. <shrug> Oh well. Before I started up the hill, from searching the treeline and the edge of the parking lot I'd accumulated about a dollar maybe a little more in all buried change. mostly pennies as I said before. AS I started up the hill in the grid, I began finding change both buried and right on top of the grass or just at the roots, on top of the soil. And the usual junk, pull tabs, cans, batteries.. ?? batteries? <shrug> I found one last week, and another one this week. I also came across a cross.. a crucifix carved from hematite on a necklace of hematite beads, my detector only picked up the clasp I think, but most of the chain or necklace was right on top of the grass. Cool find!
I happened upon one of the partially filled holes dug by Mr. Hustle and as I went by I got a hit on my detector. <raised eyebrow> So, I backed up and waved over it again.. hit hit hit hit.. hmmmmm.. hasty, perhaps TOO hasty? My Prizm IV said the target was on the surface or nearly so, so I went for the bulls eye and sure enough, there was a nickle, just under the edge of the grass roots, in the plug that Mr. Hustle dug. I plucked Mr. Jefferson out and stowed it in my find pouch, then out of habit I filled the hole and stood up and waved my detector over the hole again.. hit hit hit hit!! Another target? In the SAME hole that the other guy dug?? Sure enough.. a penny, and another penny and a dime on the outer edge of the far side of this hole, and one more penny just an inch or two outside of his original hole. Hmmmm.. I'm thinking that Mr. Hustle might just have been running laps rather than serious detecting this morning. With that in mind I began sweeping not only my grid, but any other hole I saw that was dug.. and of course filling them back in as I went.. someone needed to do that. I remembered the older guy saying that he wished he had a bulls eye.. So now I'm thinking that I've got pretty good odds of finding more change and treasure than I had originally thought. So with a smile on my face and a slow and steady stride, I swept the rest of the hill from one side to the other from bottom to top and ended up with a pouch full of coin and nick knacks and junk.
I must admit that at least two "finds" were multiple coins and they were all on the surface.. pocket spills no doubt from someone lolling around on a blanket watching the movie. Bot of these "spills" were over a dollar each, quarters, dimes and nickles... and a few pennies.
I'll take it though, buried or NOT.. they were still finds and they will spend just as readily as anything I've dug up. <grin>

Here are some pics of my finds for today.

July14th 001.jpg

July14th 003.jpg

July14th 002.jpg

All told it was a good day, $5.22 in clad, some of which didn't even have to be dug up.

14 Quarters
12 dimes
2 nickels
42 pennies

for 70 coins

I wonder if I can get out again tomorrow?.. <raising eyebrows>

Frodov

Happy Hunting all!

Attachments

• July14th 001.jpg
    July14th 001.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 553
  • July14th 003.jpg
    July14th 003.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 547
  • July14th 002.jpg
    July14th 002.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 563
Upvote 0

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul you got there. I hate to follow somwone who doesn't fill holes back in. They will eventually make it impossible for us all to enjoy the sport. All public areas will be off limits. Thanks for sharing the goodies....I bet you can sneak out the back door for a bit tomorrow, lol.... ;D

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
Nice haul and good going filling in the holes. I have a Sun Ray probe on my Whites and wouldn't trade it for anything. Congrats on the finds.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Looks like a great afternoon to me and hope you make it out again soon!!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CarolinaDigs said:
Frov I don't know which I enjoy more > your story or your digs :) You are a great writer > very descriptive and interesting ;D

I totaly agree with CD. Keep em coming Fro.

;) RR

R

RUDY2003

Great story frodov. Always intresting.
You have some great huntin' sites there.
Good job on the hole replacements......

Keep diggin'...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread