What's new

Home made Beach scoop

jesse09

Banned
Joined
Jun 25, 2012
Messages
119
Reaction score
63
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cancun, Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's PI Dual Field
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has anyone here made a homemade scoop before and had good success? I just left my Home Depot with a piece of wood and mosquito net to make a floating sifter. I would like to make my own scoop since they cost around 150, do you guys think it is possible to make a effective Home Depot scoop ? I watched a youtube video on how to make it but the guy talked way to fast and never reviewed if it worked well. Hopefully my fellow forum members might have good insight!
 
Upvote 0
Sent you a PM with link to article I did on scoops - might help
there are other ones there that might interst you too
 
If you go back to page 3 here in the beach and shallow water forum you may find a thread that Hamiddetecting posted on june 14. "Big scoop by Hamid detecting". There he posted some photos of his homemade scoop. I've got a homemade scoop I made from scrap stainless steel that I picked up at a junk yard and had a shop weld it. Alltogether it cost me about 25 $. Sorry no photo.
 
your scoop is as important as your detector when you are in the water - don't skimp on it and it will pay you dividends - I use a Stavr scoop - just google stavr scoops - they rip and are high quality - tell him the type of sand you are facing ( e.g fine or with shells etc) he has a model to suit. I got a Krepish and love it in and out of the water.
 
After your detector your scoop is you most important tool.....If your hunting dry sand it doesnt matter, but if your in the surf or hunting the wet sand, a good scoop pays for itself quickly....The quicker you recover that target the quicker you move on to your next target..... My first scoop was a used beach brute, bought it used for $100, sold it several years later for $75, bought the Beach Brute II, paid $200 with taxes, I could sell it now easily for $140-$150 if I wanted to. Just becasue you spend $200 on a scoop doesnt mean the moeny is gone, it is still there...........

If I spend $200 on a scoop and sell it 4 years later for $150 then that scoop cost me $12.50 a year to use.... If I sell it for $140 it cost me $15 a year to use.......Can't beat that...

Rent a top of the line scoop for $12-$15 a year..........
 
I would love to buy a brand new scoop but importing into Mexico is a no go (Long Story), customs luckly won't mess with my new White's Surf PI Dual Field. The nice thing about Mexico is everyone here is a handyman, i bumped into a welder at Home Depot who i showed pictures of the Stealth 8'' Scoop. I showed him the pictures of all the pieces needed and he said he could make one for me very similar with the same materials for what is about 15 dollars of labor plus material costs. He is going to buy a piece of Galvanized Aluminum and drill much smaller holes than 5'8 most likely 1'4 since the beaches here are clean with extremely fine sand. I will update and post pictures tomorrow after he finishes!

I also made my own sifter which i will post pictures of also but i don't think i will be using it since 1'4 holes in my scoop is more than plenty to catch whatever treasures come my way !

Thank you everyone for all the responses and educating me on the importance of a GOOD larger mouth scoop!
 
I made myself a scoop last year out of aluminum and stainless for my first beach trip. I don't have any pictures of it but I'll see if I can find it and take some pictures of it.
 
Here is my scoop. After using it for a while I've decieded to add a handle part way down the handle to make it easier to shake the sand out.
 

Attachments

  • 008.webp
    008.webp
    506.3 KB · Views: 737
  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    214.6 KB · Views: 451
  • 011.webp
    011.webp
    200.1 KB · Views: 506
Here is my scoop. After using it for a while I've decieded to add a handle part way down the handle to make it easier to shake the sand out.

Man that's not a bad looking scoop at all, good job! I will post pictures of mine as soon as the welder finishs it up. I hope it turns out nice!
 
How do you use a scoop in grass?
 
Man that's not a bad looking scoop at all, good job!

Thanks, it does the job. The piece on the back helps when I kick it into the sand. I went with a heavier handle so I can pry the scoop thru the sand without worrying about bending it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom