OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting "Family" in my area who went "Off the Grid"

When Suzanne Crocker and her husband made a move to disconnect their family from technology — they went all out.

The pair moved their three children, ages 10, 8 and 4, to a remote part of the Yukon where they lived for nine months without road access, electricity or running water.

"The kids, they just thought it was a big adventure. They thought we were going camping and I don't think the reality of nine months in the bush really, really, really hit them," Crocker, who made a documentary about the experience, told The Early Edition.

Here are five things she learned while living in the wilderness:

1. All the supplies had to be hauled in ahead of time

Before setting out to the cabin, Crocker had to pull together all the supplies the entire family would need for the entire nine months.

"Simple things like how many rolls of toilet paper does a family use in nine months — those are things that are hard to find," she said (the answer was 134 rolls).

2. The frenzy melted away with the freeze

Crocker said the fall was extremely busy, as the family prepared a cache of food to get them through the winter.

"I was questioning the whole decision ... because I felt like we were just trading one set of distractions for another, but once freeze-up starts in the Yukon … you really cannot go get any more supplies. You're just there. That was when it really started to relax for us and we just started to living in the moment."

All the Time in the World/Crocker
Suzanne Crocker switched careers from rural family physician to filmmaker in 2009. (allthetimeintheworld.ca)

3. Her family got closer, literally

The first thing to do every morning was to heat the cabin. Until it warmed up, the family relied on each other to stay warm.

"We would all snuggle together in one spot in the cabin and then one of us — usually my husband — would get up to get the wood stoves going and boil the water for tea and then we would read out loud for who knows how long — probably for a good hour or two — while the cabin warmed up," she said.

Crocker said she was a bit worried about how her children would get along, but said they actually fought less during the nine months.

4. Time became irrelevant

The family's days weren't dictated by a schedule.

"Because we didn't have clocks or watches, we would eat when we were hungry and get up when we were rested," she said.

5. The comforts of home weren't really missed

"I occasionally dreamed about a hot shower or a hot bath and that was basically it. I really could have stayed there forever," said Crocker.

Her family is now back in Dawson City, and she said she still lives by the lessons she learned in the bush.

"The experience acts as a touchstone now. I do better at living in the moment. I'm not perfect by any means but it's easier for me to see when I'm getting back when I'm getting caught in those old traps, and easier for me to pull out again. It did make me realize what my true priorities are."

Crocker will attend a screening of her documentary, All The Time In The World, at the Vancouver International Women in Film Festival on Sunday, March 8 at the Vancity Theatre in Vancouver.

To hear the full interview with Suzanne Crocker, click the audio labelled: Family living off the grid.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for posting that Robot. That's pretty interesting, incredible actually. I caught the trailer and went through the news articles. Listened to the audio too. I can't really compare it to what I'm doing. It's like I'm playing where they jumped in and did the real deal. I admire what they did. Maybe I should be more like them.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Mud! Yes. Thaw all week . Finally.
Been at old Dads with no internet after he took a turn again.
Now to try to catch up....or not.
Tear it up Deepseeker. Spring is knocking at the door.
That saw dullin locust makes some good fence posts. Pegs too if your joining any timbers.
Chicks for sale at supply store here. Peep, peep, peep, peep.:icon_thumright:
Green beer day coming up soon, it's spring comin for sure.
Work safe there. Take time to savor the homesite at days end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Mud! Yes.

Yes, I understand that. Finally got my shot into a city compost pile today, all set up for me. The front end loader was waiting for me. Had my truck setting there, and he went over to get a scoop full, and the loader almost got stuck on that side, so he got out of that mess and went over to the other side. And my oldest friend Ron, who set the whole thing up, and I stood and watched the loader working into the other side, and saw all 4 wheel spinning with no effort. He was deep stuck and needed a bigger piece of equipment to pull him out of there. His wheels on that loader he had were up to my chin in size.

We've had so darned much rain, and it's forecast to Sunday here. The guy there is going to try to get me a load out set aside for me, and I may be able to get it Friday

Not a lot of progress going on my gardening, kind of frustrating of course.

In the story of Paul Kaiser on the gardening thread, he said he used 100 yards of compost every year. I need to step up my plans and get more compost piles going. Unless I get a big dump truck load up here, I'm going to have to put serious personal attention to composting, using every possibility I stumble into, even down to a small kitchen composter, Vermiculture, and even digging up the soil in the forest and working with that as well.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's the way I've evolved in methods for my wood stove. Since I'm dealing with an enclosed compartment I do put some smaller dry wood on top of the existing coals or tender for starting the fire, then layer that with the larger hard long burners, and then a layer of of slightly smaller long burners, and then a level above that of dry hot burners. My fire burns up, and it burns down creating a really good base of hot coals. I'm careful to "honeycomb" it so there's good circulation.

Two nights ago, I finally achieved a hot 6 hour burn - quite an achievement in view of my burns over the past 3 months. Lot's of hours tending the fire to get there, and a very careful selection of what goes where. I gather pieces of wood for each level and decide one by one where each piece goes.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a cheat to speeding up compost. Adding commercial fertilizer. Good bye organic....
I'm not sure what gets added , available nitrogen might be what needs accelerating. Still, a month to six weeks probably if all goes well.
Ratio of nitrogen would need to be calculated based on what's being composted.
Like firewood though, it's better to be working next years source rather than trying to rush things along.
Your soil ,depending on acidity ,having rested a while should have some life restored to it. In range of maples without their shade, should test better than oaks for example.
Congrats on the six hour burn. Quite a gain through effort; and being willing to experiment within reason vs risk..
G6956 Making and Using Compost | University of Missouri Extension

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my questions about compost is in the use of kitchen scraps. I'm taking the approach that any of the scraps which were prepared with grease, or with meats (like in a stew) wouldn't be a good thing to add to a compost heaps. I did add 3 chopped up uneaten baked potatoes to the new drum I started 3 days ago.

And, how about that lemon pie Mom made last night which didn't turn out well....

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, no meat or bones or grease. Not unlike a proper working septic system digesting waste.
I used a miniature plastic trash can in the kitchen for veggie scraps/spoiled produce.
About a quart capacity and when tossed on pile ,pile got turned.
If you have a town or farmers market ect. nearby ,outdated or spoiled/ damaged produce from anyone who handles bulk or sells it might exist.
Competition may also exist though.
When I raised hogs few places did not already have containers someone provided to save edible scrap for them.
A lawn service company can have an abundance of clippings on some jobs, and in the fall leaves.
Depends on if lawns were fertilized though if going organic.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
It has been a while since the last update.

I have two truck loads of compost sitting in my yard now :) It's likely I'll go get more, but not for the time being.

The garden area seems to be a super highway for the deer herd here. I have T-Posts in the ground. This morning, before the rains come I'll go around adjusting the post heights, and then I'll start putting the chicken wire fence up. And then I will begin the beds and planting.

I'm thinking I need a solar electric fence - pondering that.

I've ordered a wood chipper and that should be here soon, and those brush piles will become mulch.

After weeks of the frustration over what I considered very little progress, now there's a ton to do.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Oooo deer. Yum, I mean darn..
One source put peanut butter on the hot fence wire to educate deer.
Possums, woodchucks. coons, skunks,squirrels,rabbits, birds and more will also like your efforts at growing food. A black bear will void most fencing.
Laying a couple three feet of wire outside your fence flat and maybe covered with a couple inches of dirt will slow some digging in and save digging trenching to bury fence.
Won't stop climbers though. That plastic bird netting tented over some seedlings may help sensitive sprouts if birds find the mischief of tugging seedlings out entertaining.
There is plastic mesh/ netting fencing now too to keep deer out, to a point.
Not sure of life span but it could perhaps be re purposed to cover grapes just before they are ripe and most appealing to critters as it ages.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Went out for groceries, and now the farm day begins!

0318151549b.jpg

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I had 37 posts set for the fencing, but I hadn't leveled and completely tamped them down. Just got myself a heck of an arm & chest work out, took me over an hour to do it. But now it's time to start putting the fencing up. It's snowing here and has been through that entire exercise, not sticking though. I be resting right now....

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found myself a Craigslist deal today. Luckily I had the cash to pickup a chipper, dethatcher, and aerator for $195.

BIGSCOTT

Jul 19, 2013
spring texas
Detector(s) used
fisher 1265
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Im all planted up, exept for sweet taters and peanuts will plant them on april 20th, '' I plant by the moon'' bout that same time I should be picking green beans and digging a few small new potatoes.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
After steady rain until late afternoon yesterday, I see the sun peeking out and my plan was putting up the fencing wire.

However, having my first cup of good strong coffee, Lowe's called. My wood chipper is here. So I'll be fetching that! Picking it up is a priority, but won't be using it yet. That fence must go on! But I'll be chipping away soon :) Those brush piles will become mulch. And that mulch will become rich black soil. And that rich black soil will provide abundant nutrition to the table. Another plan falling into place.

Congrats BIGSCOTT, You're ahead of me. But maybe my Fall crop will be by the moon. Certainly next year's crop will be.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread