Homesteading

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
It is now in the 20's today. Yesterday was only 11 or 12. Went out and shoveled the driveway again. Suppose to snow here again tonight. Seems this driveway shoveling is becoming a habit every 2 or 3 days now. Supposed to get warmer this weekend by a few degrees, maybe in the 30's. Still will be at or below freezing for a few days. Maybe the weather will get warm enough to rain instead of snow, then there is the possibility of flooding with what snow is on the ground already, plus any rain that would fall. About 6-7 inches here in my yard. Luckily I live on top of a hill, so flooding is not very likely here, but the road is lower down along a creek which does flood occasionally. I don't have to go anywhere for the next few days do I can wait it out, no matter what it does. Good Luck. rockhound

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I notice here in Mi. many of the old homesteads have the house on high ground.
A dry basement where applicable, a drier foundation, and in spring the thaw is faster where snow blows off hill instead of piling up.
Southern exposure fronting site a bonus when shaded by trees that allow the sun in after leaf drop.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nasty out there! Sleet & snow, and I have to drive to Greensboro - normally 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The weather report wasn't kidding :(

At least my daughter has a washer and dryer. We do too, though the heating element in the dryer seems to have given up the ghost. But I like hanging my clothes on the old clothesline up above the house anyway, and we haven't had the weather for that. I get plenty dirty wrestling with the wood supply and all the other activities I dig into. I won't load her up, just enough for the week down there with the kids.

My son hasn't seen me since before the surgery. I'm about 50 lbs lighter now and getting orangutan fit.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My son's flight just got cancelled, and re-scheduled for tomorrow :(

At least I don't have to drive to Greensboro is this stinking weather!

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep, throw some more wood on the fire, and get comfortable for a while...sounds like time for a hot cup of tea, I'll join you. Just finished reading the complete thread, and my admiration for how you are handling your retirement is rising...live large my friend...later...Gary

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Gary! Every time I go to the basement to feed the stove (my brother named it Cleopatra) I piddle around. Re-stacked my firewood, picked through and got some fast burners out which were buried. I'd like a cup of hot chocolate! In the warm house on a nasty day!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I hadn't done that before, but I just went through and read the entire thread of 17 pages. Thank you all!

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I tour Craigslist fairly often looking for those things I'm needing, or expect to need. I've thought about solar power for quite a while.

Ran across this ad, and looking for input here:

Off-grid Solar Power Systems

Don't get caught without power during the next natural disaster! We offer a wide range of solar power systems for home backup and completely off-grid living. These solar power generators connect directly into your house electrical panel/circuit breaker box, allowing you to use your existing power outlets and wiring!

2,500W Home Solar Generator (includes 2x 250W solar panels, charge controller, inverter, and deluxe control board) - $1995*

This is a small off-grid solar power generator that can run basic appliances including refrigerators, laptops, TV's, and indoor lights. This system produces 120V power only. A good place to start for the off-grid homeowner on a budget!

4,000W Off-Grid Essentials Kit (includes 4x 250W solar panels, charge controller, inverter, and deluxe control board) - $3295*

This is an medium-sized off-grid solar power generator designed to power essential home appliances including deep well pumps, refrigerators, freezers, indoor lighting, portable electronics, etc. This power station produces pure sine wave power with both 120 and 240V (split phase) on the same set of lines, just like utility-supplied electricity.

6,000W Home Backup Solar Generator (includes 6x 250W mono solar panels, charge controller, inverter, and deluxe control board) - $4995*

This is a home backup solar power generator sufficient for handling larger home appliances including water heaters, deep well pumps, air conditioners, etc. This power station produces pure sine wave power with both 120 and 240V (split phase) on the same set of lines, just like utility-supplied electricity.

12kW Solar Power Station: Please call for current pricing.

All solar power systems qualify for 30% federal income tax credit!
North Carolina residents are eligle for an add'l 35% rebate!
South Carolina residents are eligle for an add'l 25% rebate!
Maryland residents are eligle for an add'l $1,000 clean energy grant!

Our licensed master electrician specializes in renewable energy systems. We handle all installation, internal wiring, and roof, ground, and pole-mounting of solar panels

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If it includes batteries it's a pretty good deal. Those deep cycles get priceless real quick. I would love to have some solar cells.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If it includes batteries it's a pretty good deal. Those deep cycles get priceless real quick. I would love to have some solar cells.

Yeah, I started looking last night after posting that. Minimum $100 each, and I saw one where the guy said he needed 32 batteries....

That's a HUGE negative!

Bullet:Mich.

Mar 20, 2003
Michigan USA
Still hasn't warmed up much, it is -4 degrees. Some Amish use 2 small solar cells to charge their deep cycle 12 volt buggy light batteries and hot wire fence batteries.

joncutt87

Nov 2, 2014
concord, nc
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If you're handy with a soldering iron, you cay buy bulk cells and solder then in series to get the voltage you want and then in parallel to get your wattage.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
With the battery bank in the golf cart I can expect 650 charge/ discharge cycles before performance declines enough to consider replacement, based on variables.
Batteries are a subject in their own but one note that stands out is, due to those cycle life rates, have the same hours and preferably similar number of previous chargings on each battery.
Meaning new ones take time to "break in" and should a battery in an existing used bank need replaced a battery of similar hours use is better than adding a new one.

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
2 more inches last night. Now we have about a foot of snow on the ground. More predicted tonight or tomorrow. My building collapsed from the weight of the snow. Shoveled it off and covered with a tarp until I can get it fixed, it broke all the roof supports. I am going to jack it up and put a support beam in it until spring. I may end up building a complete building. Good Luck. rockhound

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
3 more inches last night. Now we have over a foot, more like 14-15 inches on the ground. Suppose to warm up this weekend, above freezing anyway. I'm glad I live on a hill. Can you imagine what will happen if it all melts fast, all at once? The low lying areas will be flooded or washed away. Stay safe, warm and dry. rockhound

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
deepseeker,

Those deep cycle batteries that are sold for solar power have a life off about 5 years IF, and I do mean IF, they are not discharged more than 50% on a regular basis. I found out years ago that the batteries for an electric forklift have a lifespan of around 25 years with 80-90% discharge rates. Granted there is a bigger up front cost, but it saves money in the long run.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been away for about a week, returned home to the stove yesterday afternoon. Now my son is back in Detroit safely, and my daughter had a date last night with a new fellow = I'm certainly interested in that!

As with all of us here in this thread - the weather keeps coming = sleet and freezing rain today. Getting up my driveway to the house yesterday was NOT a thrill. That continuous snow had turned hard packed and icy, but my 4WD came through, a couple of tough hills to climb had me on the edge of my nerves. Mom said I arrived just in time for the heating. She couldn't keep the fire going in the stove, and she was rationing the kerosene heater and covered herself in blankets. I guess I'm home now.... I think I'll go back to bed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread