Last edited:

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think you have gold ore. The area you were honeymooning is decomposed granite for the most part, and that has lots of small flecks of mica that reflect the light and kind of look like gold. Kuger will know when he sees it, that's his country and he's prospected a bunch in those mountains.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mellylou

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the reply! We thought it may have been too good to be true, but it sure was an exciting thing to see! I'm moving this post to the Gold Prospecting forum, as I didn't see it before.

Upvote 0

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Welcome to TreasureNet Melissa and congratulations on the happy occasion beginning in September. :occasion14:

The rocks you have there, are not the known type of host matrix for containing gold in the Sierras. As BosnMate has described, the shiny shimmering flecks are very likely mica.

A sample of gold bearing quartz rock is attached, with surface gold showing.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• Gold2 - Demo.jpg
    Gold2 - Demo.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 151
Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep,as Bosn,and CC stated its very likely Mica....take a needle and poke and lift at a piece of it....bet it flakes :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mellylou

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you CC Hunter! I know it's probably a lost cause, but would you mind looking at some other pictures I'll post later tonight? Your specimen looks similar to some of mine, but I'm probably just clinging to a golden dream. We had a beautiful honeymoon and so it doesn't matter if it's not in fact gold, but it would have been pretty funny and some serious newlywed luck. Afterall, as a Californian growing up only a few hours from the Mother Lode, I think it's secretly a dream of mine to be a prospector. ;) My husband was laughing at me as I caught "gold fever"...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mellylou

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Kuger! I just picked at it with a dressmakers needle and it scratched, but did not flake.

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember finding rocks like these down by the Rappahannock river one time, thought it was gold.. till i pulled the gold testing kit out.. you should go buy one...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mellylou

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks HugSiteDigger! I will buy one from Amazon and see how it goes. I thought I had to pulverize a sample and then get a crucible--happy there's an easier route!

Upvote 0

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always swing by a pawn shop and have them test it for you... Some stores do carry them also.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Melly,as CC stated......not always but the majority of the time gold is associated with quartz....very rarely is it not.Your pieces sure do not appear to be quartz....I am very familiar with all of the obsidian bearing areas you describe.While I wish I could tell you I was positive it is indeed gold,I dont think it is...%99 sure its not....

also it is hard to discern from pictures.Here is a thread that touch's lightly on that
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/hard-rock-mining/338120-pyrite-gold.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mellylou

Tenderfoot
Oct 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, thanks everyone for all of the great info! Here's my last attempt to show a bit more information before I decide to just appreciate the rocks as pretty relics of a great time had.
IMG_3132.jpg IMG_3133.jpg IMG_3135.jpg IMG_3136.jpg

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep,mica,but the memories are what count:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions