Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My buddy and I went to an old bottle dump that we were at last year , there was some recent dumping on top - lawn furniture, microwave , rusty gas grill , ...and this big horn . It is definately not from a Maine deer . We figure it's from out west .
My friend found it , but he gave it to me ( his wife would kill him if he brought it home) Mrs. mojjax loves it ! It's over 3 feet long .
Is there some type of oil or preservitave we can put on it ? It still has some sheetrock screws in the holes from the people that threw it away . Looks like it would make a good hat-rack .
Found some good bottles too !

mojjax

Attachments

• Picture 008.jpg
    Picture 008.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 434
  • Picture 009 (2).jpg
    Picture 009 (2).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 435
  • Picture 016 (2).jpg
    Picture 016 (2).jpg
    47 KB · Views: 428
Those look like elk antlers.During the early Spring, the elk begin to shed their antlers. The largest bulls normally begin to shed their antlers in early March. The younger bulls begin to lose their antlers in April. The amazing thing about the the elk's antlers is that once they have fallen, the elk almost immediately begins to grow a new set of antlers. By August, the elk have fully regrown their entire rack of antlers.

Upvote 0
Definitly an old shed, they are not usually as wethered as that when they have been harvested,

Skydiv is right they can be worth some dollars on ebay ...really sought after be knife makers and the like.

OD

Upvote 0
Thats a big horn you have there.

Upvote 0
That looks like a Long Island Whitetail shed to me....I have shot several just like it. I will dig up some pics here tomorrow.

Upvote 0
Great elk antler.
When the antler has been weathered like yours you can either leave it as is if you are keeping indoors or spray a coat of polyurethane on it. Once it has been outside it can pick up bugs that can nest inside and eat away at it. You can also spray with sealant and then brush a stain over it to renew the true colors and then wipe it off. If its pitted you might need a couple of coats of spray.

Upvote 0
gypsyheart said:
Great elk antler.
When the antler has been weathered like yours you can either leave it as is if you are keeping indoors or spray a coat of polyurethane on it. Once it has been outside it can pick up bugs that can nest inside and eat away at it. You can also spray with sealant and then brush a stain over it to renew the true colors and then wipe it off. If its pitted you might need a couple of coats of spray.
I agree. antlers don't spend much time on the ground before being devoured by vermin and bugs.

Upvote 0
codycat said:
I sure would have worn gloves handling those bottles.
the antler also...might make you horny :-\ :P ;D

Upvote 0
You can get some color back by wrapping it in rags soaked in strong tea. Minwax stains also can darken it up if you so desire. When dry, a coat of wax will help seal them. Once they get sun-bleached and weathered they'll never regain the original polish they had on the animal.

Good and weathered is a lasting finish if you keep it indoors.

Upvote 0
Charlie is right,

If you don't seal it up it will continue to deteriorate a shed white crumbs all over your place.
Not pretty. a drag to step on with bare feet too.

OD

Upvote 0
If you do decide to stain use Aged Oak by Miniwax the gel kind.Put it on real thick for a few minutes avoiding the ivory tips. Then take mud and rub them down ,then rinse outside with the hose.Rub the ivory tips to a nice polish when done with soft cloth.
Here was a great set on ebay that has good color and accents the ivory.

Attachments

• elk.jpg
    elk.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0
[“Dr. Baker's Specific will cure Gonorrhea, glett stricture, seminal weakness, chordee, diseases of the Kidneys, Bladder, and all diseases of the genital organs. Reader, have you a private disease? Delay is dangerous. Dr. Baker's Specific is a safe, speedy and radical cure. With Baker's Specific you can cure yourself, and prevent exposure as plain directions for use accompany the medicine. Price $1.50 per bottle”

Glett stricture ??? Yep, gloves may be a good idea :o

Upvote 0
a good taxidermist can restain them for you but i wouldnt spray them with poly. they have great character just the way they are. those bottles are cool too!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back