Kookiemonsta

May 6, 2013
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Minelab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on a park that was built in the 50's. Prior to that the area was all farmland like 1940 and before. I found this by a tree with my beeper. It has taken nearly an hour of a toothbrush and water to get it this clean. Any ideas on what would clean it further without destroying? I think its brass of some sort. It appears to have a rams head on it... you can definitely see the horns. I honestly have no clue anything of actual names of old farm equipment... but doesnt it look like something where a horse would attack to an old fashioned plow or something?

Any ideas?? I cant believe someone hasnt dug this thing up already... I thought it was very cool :)

Iron Thing 2.jpg
Iron Thing 3.jpg
Iron Thing1.jpg

It fits in my hand, but it weighs a TON.

Last edited:
Looks like a hitch of some sort. Creskol and BosnMate will be able too help clarify more! Good luck.

Upvote 0
Looks similar to this door knocker?

Attachments

• knocker001.jpg
    knocker001.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 106
Upvote 0
My uncles old Dodge ram pickup had a hood ornament that resembled that. The wings on the sides were for lifting.Not sure if that is what it is and couldn't find an exact match so just a guess.His truck was from the late 40's so time frame fits.

Upvote 0
You have it upside down...Its a bottle opener that helps you stop drinking. Just before the cap comes off, the bottle hits the safety stop. LOL :drunken_smilie:

Iron Thing1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I tried to the best of my googling abilities to find anything most of last night but I foundddd nothing lol. I am thinking it DEFINITELY had a strap of some sort that would loop through and be able to latch on by the "bottle opener" part lol. A strap about an inch wide would fit through. And if then pulled forward it would make the rams head appear to be facing up and moving forward. I just dont know how the two arms on it would hook onto anything... or what they would gook onto....

Or I might be completely off still!

Upvote 0
I am thinking it DEFINITELY had a strap of some sort that would loop through and be able to latch on by the "bottle opener" part lol.

I think your right about that. I posted this in a tractor and farm forum I'm a member of. Although no one identified it, they suggested the same thing. A strap, rope or cable goes through the opener. I thought about wire. Maybe fence wire and the "arms" were used liked handles to twist and tighten the fence?

Upvote 0
I've never seen one, and have no idea. It looks horse harness related, and I can think of a couple of places it might have been used regarding harness, but I'm far from an expert on harness, having only used or been around just a few sets of work or driving harness, and that item wasn't on any of them.

Upvote 0
All the pictures are from the same side. What does the other side look like?

Upvote 0
All the pictures are from the same side. What does the other side look like?
Sorry! I dont know why I only posted from that view...
Here all sorts of angles. The fact that others dont know what it is makes it more intriguing!

I put my fingers in the slits to show how big the slot is. I could probably fit my pink barely through, but that would be a THICK strap.
N1.jpg
n2.jpg
This is from the back
n3.jpg
This pic is maybe a bit useful. The arms are both are the same angles
n4.jpg

Upvote 0
The size makes me re-think what I thought it was, looking at it from a different angle makes me think of a boat cleat for tying off at the dock is there a pond or small lake on the property?

Upvote 0
The size makes me re-think what I thought it was, looking at it from a different angle makes me think of a boat cleat for tying off at the dock is there a pond or small lake on the property?

Not within a couple miles. I should also note I have searched all sorts of Dodge Ram hood ornaments and tractor pieces etc but nothing is even close to the style... They always emphasize the horns SO darn much..

Upvote 0
Part of it looks like horse harness and other part looks like a boat cleat.

Attachments

• horse trace carrier.jpg
    horse trace carrier.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 298
Upvote 0
Yeah this is a good whatsit.I enjoy doing the research trying to find the item.But it is the rams head that intrigues me it has to represent the company or what would be the use of having it on the item.

Upvote 0
Maybe we should revisit the harness theory. Check out this photo of a singletree end. It has some of the same features as the "whats-it". Although I cant see how the "Whats-It" would attach to a tree end.

We had quite a few sets of harness through the years but, like BosnMate said, I don't remember ever seeing these parts on ours. The ends on our trees were basic metal straps and hooks. Ours were fairly modern though.

30BA8F9A-1E21-4B75-B143-828215051540.jpg

Upvote 0
Maybe we should revisit the harness theory. Check out this photo of a singletree end. It has some of the same features as the "whats-it". Although I cant see how the "Whats-It" would attach to a tree end.

We had quite a few sets of harness through the years but, like BosnMate said, I don't remember ever seeing these parts on ours. The ends on our trees were basic metal straps and hooks. Ours were fairly modern though.

View attachment 805410
This is very interesting! Its got the same 2 pronged arms thing that seems to maybe hook into something. And the same gap/node where a strap may go through. There are some VERY old (100+ year old) oak trees here that date back to any aerial photo (1920) I have found of the area. Im 100% sure this was farmland also. So its very possible something like that could have been used cutting/moving some of these behemoths?

Upvote 0
So its very possible something like that could have been used cutting/moving some of these behemoths?

If we speculate that this was used for moving felled trees then maybe it was used like a quick connect. If you have two ropes, each with a loop on the end, one to the horse and one to the log. The loop to the horse is passed through the "opener" and over the "rams head". Now we have a "T" at the end of our "horse side" rope. Then pass the loop tied to the log over the metal arms and cradled by the cup in the "rams head" for a quick temporary union. Just a guess...

Upvote 0
Idea! does anyone know of a solution I could clean this with? Maybe it says something under there....
I just dont wanna bathe it in some unknown concoction and have it dissolve away lol

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back