devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great game. I was pulling for the Wolverines. I never thought that this Georgia, (SEC) fan would say this, but this was true. TRIVIA question: does anyone know how Michigan came about being dubbed" the "Wolverines"? 🇺🇸

smr1000

Aug 20, 2023
Northeast Ohio
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 300
I was raised on the Buckeyes in Canton, Ohio. Never thought that I'd cheer for Michigan!.
However, when you are paying for three kids to attend school in Ann Arbor, you learn that it's OK to change ;)
Can't imagine that now Washington will be in the Big 10 next year!

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great game. I was pulling for the Wolverines. I never thought that this Georgia, (SEC) fan would say this, but this was true. TRIVIA question: does anyone know how Michigan came about being dubbed" the "Wolverines"? 🇺🇸
Michigan is called the Wolverine State due to its rich fur trading history. During the 18th and 19th centuries, wolverine pelts were highly valued for their thick, warm fur, which was used to make clothing and blankets. Furs that were sold in Michigan included wolverine pelts from Canada and other states which may have been referred to as “Michigan Wolverines”
Another theory is that Ohioans referred to Michiganders as wolverines because of their strength and determination. Or Ohio thought of them as greedy and gluttonous, like the furious wolverine 2.
The most popular origin of the nickname comes from the 1835 Toledo War between Michigan and Ohio. Since a wolverine has a reputation of being ornery, Ohioans called Michiganians “wolverines” as the two sides struggled over who owned the disputed Toledo Strip 2.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes. You went further back than what I was referring to. I was referring to General George Armstrong Custer's famed Cavalry during the American Civil War. It was said that General Custer could be heard to yell "Go You Wolverines" during a cavalry charge. He would go on to experience a little "Injun" problem some 11 years after the war in 1876 at a place called the "Little Big Horn".

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. You went further back than what I was referring to. I was referring to General George Armstrong Custer's famed Cavalry during the American Civil War. It was said that General Custer could be heard to yell "Go You Wolverines" during a cavalry charge. He would go on to experience a little "Injun" problem some 11 years after the war in 1876 at a place called the "Little Big Horn".
In 2007. I fished the Bighorn...

1704814403152.jpeg
We stopped at the Little Bighorn Battlefield on the way to the airport. Surprisingly, some of Custer's reinforcements were late getting there because they stopped to do some trout fishing.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was a neutral observer and to me there appeared to be a lot of miss calls for holding by Michigan, I was seeing them even before the announcers said anything.

I'm not a basketball fan so now I have to wait for baseball spring training.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In 2007. I fished the Bighorn...

View attachment 2125172 We stopped at the Little Bighorn Battlefield on the way to the airport. Surprisingly, some of Custer's reinforcements were late getting there because they stopped to do some trout fishing.
It's a beautiful area. I have never been fortunate enough to visit the area myself, but a good friend of mine visited the battlefield some years ago. Nice pic.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They definitely brought down the house, but a bit sad the Huskies couldn't find a way to make it more of a slug-fest.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most popular origin of the nickname comes from the 1835 Toledo War between Michigan and Ohio. Since a wolverine has a reputation of being ornery, Ohioans called Michiganians “wolverines” as the two sides struggled over who owned the disputed Toledo Strip. Years later, the University of Michigan adopted the wolverine as its school mascot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread