how can I say this without offending anyone ?

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
ok before I start this isn't aimed at any individual or group this thread is based on observation only and I'm only posting with the aim to encourage open and frank debate.

Reading though a lot of the posts it seems to me that because in a lot of peoples eyes public means just that open public ownership or at least the use of the land is assumed fit for public use. I personally think metal detecting on land should it be a church,public park,or so called public land IE a school playing field should always be with the permission of the public body controlling or charged with the role of governing the piece of so called public land as by definition even public land has it state institutions looking after the best interests for the said piece of land.

One but wonders how many finds are found without first seeking permission to search public land based on the above assumption public=mine. This I believe to be fundamentally flawed and damaging to the hobby of metal detecting and its future.

If you follow public=mine to its ultimate conclusions doesn't that mean any finds found on public land belong to the public isn't this where public becomes private can you imagine the scene if I saw someone in a public park finding a valuable find and walked up ad said "hey I'm the public too I want a share" just a thought.

And here's another land deeds define the areas/between public and private land here in the UK land declared as public is as such owned by a council. And if a council owns a piece of public land doesn't that mean it its purpose is declared as public not its ownerhip so to say its public land is a missrepresentation its actually privately owned.

And lastly if metal detecting was contained to truly private land with the proper permissions sought and indeed public land was also hunted under the same premise what do you think would happen to the find ratio I suspect it would be greatly reduced

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thought here.... I agree--but the find ratio would only be reduced in "public" property...all of us that hunt private land with permission would continue to enjoy the same great finds as we always have.

-Buckleboy

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
Interesting thought here.... I agree--but the find ratio would only be reduced in "public" property...all of us that hunt private land with permission would continue to enjoy the same great finds as we always have.

-Buckleboy
yes but doesn't that mean that more people seeking permission to search public land and denied would then move on to seeking permission to hunt private land=Many more people chasing fewer clean pieces of private land.

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
warsawdaddy said:
I think you have entirely too much time on your hands.
Does that mean you agree or disagree. Contrary to popular beliefs I hope I can post sensible and thought provoking threads once in a while :)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strike it rich said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckleboy
yes but doesn't that mean that more people seeking permission to search public land and denied would then move on to seeking permission to hunt private land=Many more people chasing fewer clean pieces of private land.

Let's put this into perspective, strike it rich.... What is the ratio of private to public land? I don't think it'll be a problem. ;)

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
strike it rich said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckleboy

Let's put this into perspective, strike it rich.... What is the ratio of private to public land? I don't think it'll be a problem. ;)
Another good point BuckleBoy. For that to be tested we would need the ratios for finds on public land to finds on private land ratios. I believe the finds on public land should outwiegh those on private due to the amounts of people passing though. :D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
strike it rich said:
BuckleBoy said:
strike it rich said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckleboy

Another good point BuckleBoy. For that to be tested we would need the ratios for finds on public land to finds on private land ratios. I believe the finds on public land should outwiegh those on private due to the amounts of people passing though. :D

Maybe in terms of QUANTITY of finds...but not in terms of quality, dude! And I wasn't talking about the ratios of finds here anyhow...I was talking about acreage.

-Buckles

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
I am glad I don't live in the UK where I wouldn't dare hunt public lands. Are you the only one who is scared to hunt public land or is it normal? Are you afraid of getting ridiculed and having others see you metal detecting?

I had a park maintenance guy come and tell me not to metal detect in the public park I was in. I asked if there was an ordinance against it and he said no, but he didn't want anyone detecting in the park. I had my 15 year old son with me so instead of just leaving I decided to make a point. I called the police dept to make sure there were no ordinances against detecting, and there wasn't. The police dispatcher gave me the number of the man over all the parks in the city, which is probably 10 parks. I called him and he said he had no problem with anyone metal detecting in the park, and couldn't imagine why any city worker would try to kick us off. I went right back to detecting and the man came back over that had tried to take away my rights. He wasn't very happy of course and I told him the name of his boss who had just given the OK. He went off in a huff calling his boss and left us alone. I didn't want to give him the idea he could randomly make the parks off limits to people doing something he didn't like, when no damage was being done. I saved the next detectorist the same trouble and taught my son not to sit idly by when anyone wants to take away my rights.

I couldn't imagine anyone in the US being idiotic enough to try and claim my finds in a park or on public lands and beaches. A big cache where I didn't keep my mouth shut or wasn't careful not to be seen is a different story. Public areas are for public recreation, and unless forbidden by law we have as much right as anyone to use the park. Period. Just my thoughts

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
BuckleBoy said:
strike it rich said:
BuckleBoy said:
strike it rich said:
BuckleBoy said:

-Buckleboy

Maybe in terms of QUANTITY of finds...but not in terms of quality, dude! And I wasn't talking about the ratios of finds here anyhow...I was talking about acreage.

-Buckles
In terms of acreage I would have to agree as for the quality vs quantity yip round 1 to you I think ;)

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
utah hunter said:
I am glad I don't live in the UK where I wouldn't dare hunt public lands. Are you the only one who is scared to hunt public land or is it normal? Are you afraid of getting ridiculed and having others see you metal detecting?

I had a park maintenance guy come and tell me not to metal detect in the public park I was in. I asked if there was an ordinance against it and he said no, but he didn't want anyone detecting in the park. I had my 15 year old son with me so instead of just leaving I decided to make a point. I called the police dept to make sure there were no ordinances against detecting, and there wasn't. The police dispatcher gave me the number of the man over all the parks in the city, which is probably 10 parks. I called him and he said he had no problem with anyone metal detecting in the park, and couldn't imagine why any city worker would try to kick us off. I went right back to detecting and the man came back over that had tried to take away my rights. He wasn't very happy of course and I told him the name of his boss who had just given the OK. He went off in a huff calling his boss and left us alone. I didn't want to give him the idea he could randomly make the parks off limits to people doing something he didn't like, when no damage was being done. I saved the next detectorist the same trouble and taught my son not to sit idly by when anyone wants to take away my rights.

I couldn't imagine anyone in the US being idiotic enough to try and claim my finds in a park or on public lands and beaches. A big cache where I didn't keep my mouth shut or wasn't careful not to be seen is a different story. Public areas are for public recreation, and unless forbidden by law we have as much right as anyone to use the park. Period. Just my thoughts
some excellent point here thats the main difference between the UK and USA you have the consitution whilst we have I would guess the european human rights but that a whole new debate in itself. My point about public finds being public property are an perhaps overstating a point. Another difference about our people is that in general we here are much less likey to complain than say citzens of the USA might we have a lesson to learn here?.

mtntrekr2

Jul 15, 2007
berks county, pa.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 1000, Xterra-70 x3, Garret ace 250,
This thread seems to go back to the whole reason why the U.S. fought against the U.K. I do not know which thread I saw it in but I remember reading if something of value was found in the U.K. it had to be turned over to the authorities with documentation as to where it was found and how and why. Here in the U.S. we only have to turn it in if we previously agreed to with the owner or if we want the glory of the story. But in the same thought how many MDr's in the U.K. really report their finds as is the law there. Parlament is still taxing and taking here Uncle Sam only taxes.

Just my thoughts
Joe

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Re: how can I say this without offending anyone ?
« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:12:11 AM »
You can't and now I'm offended. >:(

Only kiddin ;D :D
Your comparing apples to oranges. The modern men from both countries differ not only in laws but in idea. We think fundamentally different from each other. We believe in public spaces as being held in trust by the various groups organizations etc... This means that we the people retain all rights as owners but give them the authority to care for and protect those places in our stead. As for shared claim to finds on public spaces, those claims can and do happen but another basic tenant of our law says in its' most basic form that the holder has 9/10ths of the law on his side. so if someone wants a penny for my dime find they'll have to stand in line and wait along with the rest of John Q Public. cause they'd have an equal share in that penny. And since the treasury dept here sets the value of such currency by marking it the value cannot exceed 10 cents. ;D

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
MD Dog said:
Re: how can I say this without offending anyone ?
« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:12:11 AM »
You can't and now I'm offended. >:(

Only kiddin ;D :D
Your comparing apples to oranges. The modern men from both countries differ not only in laws but in idea. We think fundamentally different from each other. We believe in public spaces as being held in trust by the various groups organizations etc... This means that we the people retain all rights as owners but give them the authority to care for and protect those places in our stead. As for shared claim to finds on public spaces, those claims can and do happen but another basic tenant of our law says in its' most basic form that the holder has 9/10ths of the law on his side. so if someone wants a penny for my dime find they'll have to stand in line and wait along with the rest of John Q Public. cause they'd have an equal share in that penny. And since the treasury dept here sets the value of such currency by marking it the value cannot exceed 10 cents. ;D
hmm can we export you views/laws please lol :D

OP
OP
S

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
MD Dog said:
hmm can we export you views/laws please lol
Apparently our Govt has been trying to do just that world wide for a long time now. :D
cool roll on the new world order if it means I can detect like you and your fellow citzens can note to the fbi and cia my thread in the rants section you know the war on terror thing can we like forget about that. I love my future Uncle Sam

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Ferget it strike they've probably got you on the no fly list already. No biggie though they've got me an lotsa good, fun lovin people on the, do not pass go, do not collect $, go straight to jail lists and I'm still her............... :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread