What's new

how clean old gold with stones??

4helements

Jr. Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2013
Messages
21
Reaction score
3
Golden Thread
0
Location
middle of Italy
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250 & Exc. 10"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, some days ago i found a gold ring with stones and upon its surface there is a layer of hardened sand, i just cant remove it by scraping...
is there some way to get it clean??

thank to all for your help


2014-03-04 23.04.41.webp
 
Upvote 0
I'm sure someone will offer a sound method, can't wait to see the cleaned picture. Looks like a very pretty styled ring. Well done
 
In my opinion The best way to clean that ring would be an ultrasonic cleaner with a mild cleaning solution.

Dig until your arm falls off
 
Depending what the stone(s) are you should not use an Ultrasonic cleaner.
If you have access to electrolyses I would try it for 15-30 seconds.
If not, take it to a jeweler. Usually most will clean a ring for nothing. They would also know if the stone(s) were safe to be U-S cleaned.
I use Never-Dull or a jewelry polishing cloth to bring the shine back after the sand is removed. Good luck and let us see the ring after it is cleaned.
Thanks
 
You can clean anyring with an ultrasonic. Now for the type of stone means different ultrasonic solutions. Try a toothbrush with soap and warm water or ultrasonic clean it and look up what to clean whatever stone you have with
 
Thanx to everyone for your help, i hope to have it clean soon..and let you see its face..

Thank you
 
You can clean anyring with an ultrasonic. Now for the type of stone means different ultrasonic solutions. Try a toothbrush with soap and warm water or ultrasonic clean it and look up what to clean whatever stone you have with

It is a definite no-no to put opals or pearls in any ultra sonic cleaning machine. This is a jewelry repair 101 lesson. It is OK for most faceted stones, so it should work on 4helements' ring. It is also possible that a couple day's soak in soapy water will loosen the encrustation so it can be removed with a toothbrush as you mention, and is one of the best options.
 
Electrolysis. You can't clean the crud off because it's corroded metal mixed with sand to form a concretion. Electrolysis will break it up quickly.
 
I've found vinegar to do a fair job with no risks to the stones.
 
I've found vinegar to do a fair job with no risks to the stones.

I can't imagine vinegar doing harm to any natural stone, except perhaps opal & pearls. I often find junk jewelry with concretion (sand/metal mix). After a few minutes in vinegar the sand falls away. I found a 10k white gold ring with blue sapphires. It had some green tarnish built up on the ring and a soak in salt mixed with vinegar, which produces a stronger acid than vinegar alone, took the tarnish off. Your ring, your call, but I would try a soak in vinegar first, then vinegar and salt if the vinegar did not get it off. Beach Papa
 
2014-03-09 14.20.46.webp2014-03-09 14.20.58.webp2014-03-09 14.21.25.webp

Hello, this is it...
I had to stop cleaning because of a loss of a diamond, the result is not so good.
The surface seem to be white gold, is it possible that it has been corroded??

Thanx for looking
 
Last edited:
Hello, this is it...
I had to stop cleaning because of a loss of a diamond, the result is not so good.
The surface seem to be white gold, is it possible that it has been corroded??
Thanx for looking

How did you end up cleaning it? There were a number of answers here.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom