What's new

How did they?

Spike

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2013
Messages
28
Reaction score
15
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize in advance if this is too off topic, but does anyone know how the American Indians grooved solid rock? All these axe heads I have seen are obviously tooled / grooved in very specific areas, but do we even know today how they did it?

Thanks!
 
Upvote 0
I apologize in advance if this is too off topic, but does anyone know how the American Indians grooved solid rock? All these axe heads I have seen are obviously tooled / grooved in very specific areas, but do we even know today how they did it?

Thanks!

Definitely not of topic!i can't help with your question but welcome to tnet!
 
time and patience, something I lack
 
pecked and ground/abraded with another rock using UncleMac's recipe:icon_thumleft:
 
No TV, Radio, books......long winter days and nights in the hut, trying to take your mind off your hunger.

I bet they could accomplish a lot pecking and grinding on a rock.:dontknow:
 
No TV, Radio, books......long winter days and nights in the hut, trying to take your mind off your hunger.

I bet they could accomplish a lot pecking and grinding on a rock.:dontknow:
I have also read that compared to us they had a lot more "leisure" time....
 
That is a very good question. I bet some dont have a true pecking stone in their collection. I have never found a grooved ax but I have found a pecking stone which I will show you. I took this to a museum where their was a expert doing IDs on artifacts for people for free. I showed him this one and he said most dont know what it would be but it is a true pecking stone. Its the only one I have ever found.
 

Attachments

  • 100_3252.webp
    100_3252.webp
    205 KB · Views: 104
  • 100_3253.webp
    100_3253.webp
    157 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_3254.webp
    100_3254.webp
    181.4 KB · Views: 103
That is a very good question. I bet some dont have a true pecking stone in their collection. I have never found a grooved ax but I have found a pecking stone which I will show you. I took this to a museum where their was a expert doing IDs on artifacts for people for free. I showed him this one and he said most dont know what it would be but it is a true pecking stone. Its the only one I have ever found.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a pecking stone?
 
Pecking stones are what they used to get the grooves intact on the ax and also make the artifact smooth and in the shape they wanted.
Hammer stones were used also but usually made from flint which is very hard. They would use the hammer first then use the pecking stone to finish it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom