What's new

How do I save it?

rock

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2012
Messages
14,751
Reaction score
8,933
Golden Thread
0
Location
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this laying around for about 6 months in my truck. I found it thinking it was something but wasn't sure. The patina on it makes it look greyish but its black so I wet it otherwise the flaking wont show. There is work on the edges and look as if it was damaged from use. The bit is gone and there is a huge crack going all the way around it. What can I do to keep it from breaking further? How can I seal it so it doesn't break anymore? I believe it was a flint Hoe at one time. Even thought the bit is gone Id still like to keep it. Thanks rock
 

Attachments

  • SDC11249.webp
    SDC11249.webp
    338.1 KB · Views: 135
  • SDC11250.webp
    SDC11250.webp
    341.6 KB · Views: 159
  • SDC11245.webp
    SDC11245.webp
    400.1 KB · Views: 138
  • SDC11248.webp
    SDC11248.webp
    337 KB · Views: 145
Upvote 0
I see the worked edge. It looks like a big oval scraper. Nice piece. I can't see the crack in it. Maybe a small bead of super glue would help.
 
What NC said.
 
There was dried mud on it so I scrubbed it with my brush then noticed it went all around on both sides. I stopped after I noticed the crack in it. Found it in the creek. I will try the glue I would hate for it to crumble into pieces.
 
I am no expert but there is a something called B72. It is acrylic compound. I have the bead form. You put in acetone for 24 hours to dissolve. Brush it on and it dries like glass. No air will get at it. It is clear , and can be removed in the future with acetone. It is a way to label artifacts. Paint a layer, write on it then coat that with a layer. Which will dissolve off the artifact with acetone if need be leaving no damage.

Just a thought

B72. I can get the address if need be to order. Fairly cheap and will last. You can also get per mixed quick dry formula of B72 which I also have. I use to repair pottery.

One again I am no expert...
 
Crazy glue
..... Oh sorry... I forgot I already posted
 
I have had this laying around for about 6 months in my truck. I found it thinking it was something but wasn't sure. The patina on it makes it look greyish but its black so I wet it otherwise the flaking wont show. There is work on the edges and look as if it was damaged from use. The bit is gone and there is a huge crack going all the way around it. What can I do to keep it from breaking further? How can I seal it so it doesn't break anymore? I believe it was a flint Hoe at one time. Even thought the bit is gone Id still like to keep it. Thanks rock

hey hey rock that is definately a worked piece

how do you save it?......

no disrespect to you my friend but if it is worth saving then put it in a cigar box and leave it alone
 
hey hey rock that is definately a worked piece

how do you save it?......

no disrespect to you my friend but if it is worth saving then put it in a cigar box and leave it alone

Wish I had some cigar boxes. My tobacco comes in a can.
 
Disregard my post. Just put a foreign object on it you can never remove or let it break down more like they said. I guess when you are lucky enough to find plenty of this stuff you tend to loose respect for it and caring for it "properly'. I would be happy to have the one piece like yours. Anyway, this is why I don't comment much.
.
 
Hey Glenn I'm not a fan of the cigar boxes either it damages the artifacts... And it seems a little ironic to hunt for something that's hidden only to hide it again when you find it... To each their own
 
Disregard my post. Just put a foreign object on it you can never remove or let it break down more like they said. I guess when you are lucky enough to find plenty of this stuff you tend to loose respect for it and caring for it "properly'. I would be happy to have the one piece like yours. Anyway, this is why I don't comment much.
.

Send me your addy in a PM and I will send it to you if you want it. I know you would take care of it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom