rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had this laying around for about 6 months in my truck. I found it thinking it was something but wasn't sure. The patina on it makes it look greyish but its black so I wet it otherwise the flaking wont show. There is work on the edges and look as if it was damaged from use. The bit is gone and there is a huge crack going all the way around it. What can I do to keep it from breaking further? How can I seal it so it doesn't break anymore? I believe it was a flint Hoe at one time. Even thought the bit is gone Id still like to keep it. Thanks rock

Attachments

• SDC11249.JPG
    SDC11249.JPG
    732.5 KB · Views: 107
  • SDC11250.JPG
    SDC11250.JPG
    742.7 KB · Views: 137
  • SDC11245.JPG
    SDC11245.JPG
    783.2 KB · Views: 109
  • SDC11248.JPG
    SDC11248.JPG
    730.9 KB · Views: 118
Upvote 0

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I see the worked edge. It looks like a big oval scraper. Nice piece. I can't see the crack in it. Maybe a small bead of super glue would help.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was dried mud on it so I scrubbed it with my brush then noticed it went all around on both sides. I stopped after I noticed the crack in it. Found it in the creek. I will try the glue I would hate for it to crumble into pieces.

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am no expert but there is a something called B72. It is acrylic compound. I have the bead form. You put in acetone for 24 hours to dissolve. Brush it on and it dries like glass. No air will get at it. It is clear , and can be removed in the future with acetone. It is a way to label artifacts. Paint a layer, write on it then coat that with a layer. Which will dissolve off the artifact with acetone if need be leaving no damage.

Just a thought

B72. I can get the address if need be to order. Fairly cheap and will last. You can also get per mixed quick dry formula of B72 which I also have. I use to repair pottery.

One again I am no expert...

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Crazy glue
..... Oh sorry... I forgot I already posted

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had this laying around for about 6 months in my truck. I found it thinking it was something but wasn't sure. The patina on it makes it look greyish but its black so I wet it otherwise the flaking wont show. There is work on the edges and look as if it was damaged from use. The bit is gone and there is a huge crack going all the way around it. What can I do to keep it from breaking further? How can I seal it so it doesn't break anymore? I believe it was a flint Hoe at one time. Even thought the bit is gone Id still like to keep it. Thanks rock

hey hey rock that is definately a worked piece

how do you save it?......

no disrespect to you my friend but if it is worth saving then put it in a cigar box and leave it alone

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey hey rock that is definately a worked piece

how do you save it?......

no disrespect to you my friend but if it is worth saving then put it in a cigar box and leave it alone

Wish I had some cigar boxes. My tobacco comes in a can.

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Disregard my post. Just put a foreign object on it you can never remove or let it break down more like they said. I guess when you are lucky enough to find plenty of this stuff you tend to loose respect for it and caring for it "properly'. I would be happy to have the one piece like yours. Anyway, this is why I don't comment much.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Glenn I'm not a fan of the cigar boxes either it damages the artifacts... And it seems a little ironic to hunt for something that's hidden only to hide it again when you find it... To each their own

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disregard my post. Just put a foreign object on it you can never remove or let it break down more like they said. I guess when you are lucky enough to find plenty of this stuff you tend to loose respect for it and caring for it "properly'. I would be happy to have the one piece like yours. Anyway, this is why I don't comment much.

Send me your addy in a PM and I will send it to you if you want it. I know you would take care of it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread