How do you deal with impenetrable brush/briars?

C3plants

Oct 17, 2022
Upvote 2

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brush Hog? Chainsaw? Gasoline and a Bic? :laughing7:

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found the enormous celler hole and foundation of a revolutionary period inn. Getting to it is extremely difficult and detecting it is virtually impossible because of all the briars around the foundation and in the cellar. Using a machete barely got me to the edge of the cellar hole. Any suggestions or insight on how to deal with this?
Use some plywood, so its crushed and you can get on top of the brush, then swing over it all...
No good signals, move on, but if get a good hit, DIG!
Yes, down thru it all, and be sure, very sure about that signal to commit to "digging"...! :laughing7:
You can carry a small pruning clippers, and use leather gloves....!
Good luck!
Happy Hunting!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There are many options if you can obtain permission to cut them down.
Weed eaters with string, are only good on soft stem plants, bushes.
Anything that is established go to a bush blade type of cutter. This would look like a horizontal saw blade.
The 3 or 4 wide tooth blade will cut better than the nylon cord, but not like a saw blade type.
Usually the bush cutters have a 2 grip handle, (similar to an up turned bicycle handle.
I have even used a small chainsaw, but I have found that vines can entangle also

From cutting weed, sapling, small brush for 10 yrs and owning 10 devices that cut stuff, one gets a bit of knowledge.
I have used them on permissions to open a site up to detect.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Billy
20201212_203619.jpg

OP
OP
C

C3plants

Oct 17, 2022
Use some plywood, so its crushed and you can get on top of the brush, then swing over it all...
Yes, down thru it all, and be sure, very sure about that signal to commit to "digging"...! :laughing7:
Good luck!
Happy Hunting!
Love this idea! Now how to get the plywood a mile into the woods.🤔

Ed144

Apr 27, 2015
Saddlebrooke, Pinal County, Az.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom and XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pruning cutters, hand cutters and a 4-tine pitch fork. The pitch fork is the most important tool. When you use one for clearing cut brush you will never again need to bend over to pick up the brush nor handle any more brush by hand. Furthermore it is easy to toss the brush well out of the way. Lastly, it is a free health club pass. Good luck.

Beech7

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2020
Anchorage
Detector(s) used
Previously MXT
In the market for new machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck!
Happy Hunting!
Brilliant!
Love it

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rent a heavy duty brush wacker and go to town on it. Heck the owner of the property might be thrilled your willing to get in there and clear up the property free of charge with only the terms of medal detecting the area.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Love this idea! Now how to get the plywood a mile into the woods.🤔
I drove to the berry patch, which by the way, was a log cabin site (1840's) and found a 1869 Indian Head Cent there...!

michael NY

Nov 4, 2007
USA
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Coinstrike, F70, Explorer XS, Sovereign XS, Spectrum, IDX PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found the enormous celler hole and foundation of a revolutionary period inn. Getting to it is extremely difficult and detecting it is virtually impossible because of all the briars around the foundation and in the cellar. Using a machete barely got me to the edge of the cellar hole. Any suggestions or insight on how to deal with this?
Consider waiting until the cold weather the plants die down some. I’ve gone Rambo into those lovely thorns a few times and got cut up nicely. I’ve carried the pair of cutters in my bag a few times and cut them down small. Good luck to you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions