What's new

How do you do it?

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2010
Messages
1,984
Reaction score
483
Golden Thread
0
Location
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CRH that is.... :laughing9:

I have just started looking at the entire roll for silver instead of each individual coin. Takes roughly a quarter of the time. Hell, I can probably tell you that the 74's normally have reeded edge worn smooth, the 2000's are smaller in width then the others, the bi's are a little thicker and so on. I have yet to spot a "good" one in the wild but I am not giving up. Once summer is over I think I am going to look at three to four boxes every two weeks instead of two a month.
 
Upvote 0
I have been doing this for awhile and people know me as a silver hoarder. I have a silicone meatloaf pan which rides next to me while I drive and search. When I dump a handful into the pan, the silver gives its characteristic ring. I don't search for errors,NIFCs,etc. just silver. My 81 year old "Shotgun" who rides with me does edge searches cuz his eyeballs are better than his ears. He can't hear the ring. Between the 2 of us,we can knock out 14 boxes in pretty short order. We are lucky in that we just canvas bag the culls and drop them at the dump bank. My dump bank unloads the bags from my truck and deposits the totals into my account. Gotta love that Texas Hospitality. Cheers, Jim
 
I am still on the learning curve, but one does see patterns. I can spot (or 90% of the time) certain coins--as most learn to do. When I open a roll, I spot check first, then go thru every coin. Some do this while others do not. The reason I do is that I would have missed a few along the way and since my silver scores are meager at best, I elect to view each and every coin. I have added one or two along the way that I certainly what have thrown back into the dump pile if I had not taken my time.

Happy Silver Hunting!
apush :read2:
 
I'm real good at edge searching, and don't miss anything. I'll bet I missed a lot of copper looking edged 40's when I first started though. I still take a close look at a suspicous edge,but never caught one that way.
I don't trust my hearing,too much shooting and fireworks dulled my ears a bit. So I don't bother with the sound test.
Speaking of fireworks, on the morning of the 4th, before I even have my first cup of coffee,I toss a pack of firecrackers out the back door,and it doesn't stop till midnight. My favorite holiday.

Happy 4th of July !!!
Rich
 
It's fun for sure!!

Wait until you open a roll that has 4 or 5 silver edges! That is a rush.

When I open a roll of halves, I checked the rims first, then do a quick fan of the roll on a canvas coin bag. If I miss one while rim searching, I easily find when they are fanned out on the desk. Silver has a very distinct look.

Good luck next time!
 
The best feeling is when you open a full roll of silver mine was last month when i got two full rolls of quarters i was on the biggest high that day good luck . RON
 
Rich

Just bought $50 worth of fireworks for the kiddos. Can't wait for tomorrow!
 
i search the edges, then search each individual coin like apush does...i have never missed a rim! but, still just to b sure i date check, and cuz i collect nifc & proofs (altho most can b rim searched, some of them have such a dirty edge it is hard to tell, and i even save impaired proofs just for the heck of it [and to fill up the proof spots in my folders]), and i also look for errors and varieties. good luck, hh, and happy 4th!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom