How DO you do it?!?!

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. I found a nice artifact last spring and I'd get a real kick if I could find another one. Here's my question:

Let's say there's a piece of property you'd like to hunt on. . . do you just find a time and waltz out there? Or do you look up the property owner and ask permission? Or do you do neither?

AND what KIND of property do you typically look for?

How do you do it?

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go up to the door and knock. Most places around here the neighbors know who own the property and if unsure I find them that way.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK. I found a nice artifact last spring and I'd get a real kick if I could find another one. Here's my question:

Let's say there's a piece of property you'd like to hunt on. . . do you just find a time and waltz out there? Or do you look up the property owner and ask permission? Or do you do neither?

AND what KIND of property do you typically look for?

How do you do it?

I ask permission like today I knocked on a door but the answer was no. I get probably 5 no,s to every yes. Im due soon for a yes

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several ways to do it. You can go to the court house and look at a plot map, you can go on the web to sites like acrevalue and find owners name and address or you can just knock on a door of a house that is close to the land. In my years of getting permission there is nothing any better than a face to face to ask. Like it was said always and I mean always ask permission, it will save you a bunch of trouble and it won't put a black eye on this hobby.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Once you get permission, you need to hunt when conditions are best. Field must be worked up and have had rain on them. The more the better. Unworked fields, fields that are worked but have had no rain...you're wasting your time. Also, hunt on a cloudy day when the ground is damp if possible. Those are the best conditions you can ask for. Gary

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Having premission makes you swing slower:laughing7:

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter what,regarding PRIVATE land,you ALWAYS have to know who’s land you’re on and you ALWAYS must have permission to be on it. All else STOPS until permission is granted from the landowner or a representative of the landowner. Make sure you know the property lines if you do gain permission and leave a buffer between the land you’re hunting and the adjoining land so there’s NO question as to whether you’re overstepping boundaries or not.
HUNTING SEASON IS HERE! ALL DETECTORISTS WHO HUNT IN THE WOODS SHOULD WEAR BLAZE ORANGE!!
More at 10....

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go up to the door and knock. Most places around here the neighbors know who own the property and if unsure I find them that way.

I also use the ones I have permission with now as a reference for my charter if the new owners want to call them and ask about me.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
even shore lines have a lot of restrictions....and forget about BLM lands

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are good points and I'll ask owners. I'm just wondering if they freak out or are so suspicious that nothing happens, but will give it a shot. I've lived here all my life, so I'm not foreign or anything.

ALSO, I'm guessing creeks are great places, and to do this you just wear old tennis shoes. And look at creek bends.

Any digging situations?

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always ask permission! I'd rather be told rudely h@#$% NO, if it will prevent me being cussed out, shot at, arrested, or confronted in some way!! Btw, I've never been told no.

OP
OP
S

Siwash

May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've got a point about getting shot at.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are good points and I'll ask owners. I'm just wondering if they freak out or are so suspicious that nothing happens, but will give it a shot. I've lived here all my life, so I'm not foreign or anything.

ALSO, I'm guessing creeks are great places, and to do this you just wear old tennis shoes. And look at creek bends.

Any digging situations?

Tennis shoes for a few more days around here anyways than better get the muck boots out and yes creek bends are a good spot and pretty much any gravel beds if you find one with a lot of flakes or a few points than it’s worth doing some digging and sifting also if you do find artifacts in a creek than it would definitely be worth getting permission to walk any fields close to it chances are points are washing out of the fields into the creek

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always get permission as stated above several times. Also, check your local / state laws in insure that you don't have a run in with the game wardens or other authority.

I hunt in plowed fields after a good rain here in Southwest Georgia. I am looking for higher ground with sandy soil near an old water source. (Swamp, Creek, or River) Once you get into an area like that, start looking close for flakes of flint and/or pottery shards. If you start seeing this, it means your likely in the right area to find points and tools. If your hunting in a creek or river, I look for an area that has collected gravel. Use a mask and fan though the material or if it is too shallow, use a sifter. Stay safe and good luck!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know your in trouble when a couple pit bulls are runninv full bore at ya find a tree

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread