What's new

How do you dump your searched coins?

Paul in WA

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2005
Messages
726
Reaction score
23
Golden Thread
0
Location
Washington State
Detector(s) used
DFX
Just curious as to how everyone dumps their searched coins. I have a commercial account, so I seal mine up in a plastic coin deposit bag and just deposit them. I know some drop theirs in the coinstar machines, which sucks because you take the 8.9% hit.
 
Upvote 0
You only get charged a percentage if you aren't a member of the bank that has the coinstar machine. I use a coinstar, but I am a member so I don't have to pay any fees (for right now anyway)
 
Do you mean to say that your bank has a Coinstar machine or simply a coin counting machine. Coinstar does charge a percentage (usually around 5-6%) and the business it is located in receives an additional 3-4%. It would surprise me if a bank had a Coinstar unit in their facility gobbling up some profit.
 
Tabfry said:
Do you mean to say that your bank has a Coinstar machine or simply a coin counting machine. Coinstar does charge a percentage (usually around 5-6%) and the business it is located in receives an additional 3-4%. It would surprise me if a bank had a Coinstar unit in their facility gobbling up some profit.

Yes, I am telling you that my Credit Union has a Coinstar...as in registered trademark Coinstar Machine in the branch. They do charge 8.9% to non-members to use the machine, but members can use the machine with no charge.
 
Paul in Wa said:
Just curious as to how everyone dumps their searched coins. I have a commercial account, so I seal mine up in a plastic coin deposit bag and just deposit them. I know some drop theirs in the coinstar machines, which sucks because you take the 8.9% hit.
That is probably the easiest method. That's how I do it, except I don't have to deposit, just take cash.
 
Coinstars near me charge a fee unless you get a gift card to Kroger, I tunes Cabellas etc. Then it's free. I use a free one at the bank...at least for now. Dumped $993 in it today and filled up the bag 30 min after they opened.
 
Cabellas?? I need to check my Coinstar Machine again! If I could get a Cabella's card, that would be sweet. I could trade one metal (cupro-nickel) for another (lead and brass)!!

Off to the Coinstar...
 
We don't have a Cabellas within 200 miles but the Coinstar at Kroger said that was an option yesterday. I tried it with a penny and got a store credit printed out for one cent. I may make 100 transactions and pay a dollar in 1 cent coupons when I get mad at the cashier again.
 
i don't know if these are in your area, but TD Bank, which used to be CommerceBank, had coin counting machines called Penny Arcades in each branch, they don't charge a fee to use, and you don't have to have an account there to cash in the slip - or at least you didn't last time I dumped in January.
 
I dump

1. At a federal credit union machine that takes a large nuber of halves b4 filling up.
2. TD bank machines so i can get the rejects.
3. Any bank that i find to be anothers dump bank.
4. Any bank that a teller collects silver.

note that i join about a bank a month and i dump the bent ones in rolls at 3 and 4
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom