How do you guys like the ATX?

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been wanting to upgrade to a PI detector for awhile because most of the areas I detect in Arizona have been pounded to death by VLF (and some PI) detectors for years. I need more depth.
How do you guys like your ATX's?
Is it a heavy monster that's hard to swing?
I like the Deepseeker package because of the big coil and hard case.
If the weight is an issue is it worth just saving up more money for a Minelab GPX series or maybe buy a used Minelab SD or GP detector?
I don't detect in water so the ATX's waterproof feature isn't necessary for me.
Thanks for your opinions.

Steve Herschbach

Apr 1, 2005
Nevada
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the GPX 5000 and Garrett ATX. The ATX has great performance for the price but the waterproof design is 100% extraneous for a guy like you. In fact it is an impediment because it adds weight and complexity you do not require and makes accessory coils way more expensive than they need to be. The bottom line is if on a budget you can get a lot of bang for the buck getting an ATX but it certainly will not be replacing my GPX 5000 as my primary prospecting detector. I will use my ATX where it makes use of its most important design feature; being waterproof to 10 feet. I plan one using it for mask and snorkel sniping for gold in streams and in water jewelry detecting. Out of water I will use my GPX 5000.

I was just at a gold show and only one vendor was hawking the GPX 5000. Everyone else was selling the Garrett ATX and it seemed to be selling very well. There is no doubt the price difference is important for most people. From a straight up performance perspective the ATX is delivering a good chunk of the GPX performance for a fraction of the price.

OP
OP
GreyGhost

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes the price is the main factor for me right now. I've got the cash saved up to get an ATX right now but if I wanted a GPX 5000 it'd take me a lot longer to save up. It'd also be kind of a tough pill for me to swallow dropping $5700 on a metal detector. I'm just a weekend prospector. I could use that kind of money to purchase a new car (which I need). I don't plan on prospecting on a level anytime soon that would "pay off" my detector. I just want to find a little gold out here in Arizona.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATX is a good option for small gold. Quite a bit more affordable than the GPX 5000 for good performance. It does go deep, a little heavy, but comes with a strap. The DeepSeekers are now finally in stock in the states.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread