What's new

How do you search your rolls?

ChicagoCubsWS

Greenie
Joined
May 31, 2009
Messages
15
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Hi all, I was just a little curious of how you all search the rolls you get?

I tear it in half, dump all of them on my table, then look at every front and back.


Just a little question :)

Adam
 
Upvote 0
First i have them all in my hand, and look at the edges, then lay out and look at them all.
 
I open the roll on 1 end and push the coins out into my hand. I check the edges first and then check dates. I put all the 74-Ds aside to check for doubling and check for missing FG on the years the error is known. Also save the Proofs and 87 P&D.
 
Machine Rolls: Rip them around and check the edges. I then quick check them for proofs.

Hand Rolls: Dump em out and look for the silver shine. Then I check them for proofs.
 
Dimes: I tear each end and unroll the wrapper so all the coins are still on their sides...then I check for silver. I drop them on my desk and spread them out, quickly looking for anything unusual.
Pennies and nickels: bust the rolls open in the middle (usually using other rolls) then push the coins out of the two halves and search every coin.
Quarters: I don't bother with.
Halves: I very rarely get rolls of halves.
 
First I lay out the rolls on the table. I get the lighting just right, turn on a little Barry White music, slip into something comfortable, pore myself a glass of cavasier liquor. Crack them open roll by roll look them up and down and touch them all over. Some say that I may have taken the hobbie a little too far. What do you guys think??

Golden Silver
 
Ok there have been some really funny comments lately. But that one by FAR takes the cake.
 
Hahaha, I simply crack the roll open and take all of the coins out in one fell swoop. I quickly scan for silver, and if I don't see any, I drop them into the bag and listen for any missed silver. If I hear that ring of silver, I pull out the coins on top of the bag, and usually find a 40%'er that I missed.


-Paul
 
Well the way I used to do it was crack open the roll pull out the clad, put the silver in th eroll and save them for later... but of course that was in 1971...

now...I take them down to Father Patrick Fitzjohn and have him say a couple blessings, the look for a the local Hari Krishna chant some happy thing over them, them I open them in front of an old bhudda ashtray I swiped from my grand parents hotel.
 
After many years my technique has gone from picking it open from one end and pushing them out from the other side too, Cutting them in half to what I do now.

I hold the roll up right firmly in my left hand with one end exposed and sticking out about 1".

With a ordinary Steak knife in my right hand I stick the point under the ridge from the inside (From Center of top of roll) push through till about 1 inch of the knife is protruding. (be carfull. I have cut myself 3 times now when getting careless or tired)

Then twist and pull and rip the entire curled over edge....ring. This will leave the end of the roll completely open and unobstructed.

Set that roll down and grab next roll & repeat. after the entire box has had it's tops popped your steak knife should look like a skewer with 50 rings of paper stacked on it.

It takes some practice but after 1 box you should have this technique mastered.

You may not shear the entire ring off but if you manage to rip 1/2 of it off you should be able to push them through..

Which brings me to the next step.

Set the knife down. Grab a roll with left hand and grasp it again the same way but instead of it sticking out you will be holding it halfway in or the sheared end in the center of your palm.

And with your right hand push the coins out using your thumb. off center as to force the coins to tilt. This will make it easier to slide / push through.

As a matter of fact your really not pushing them through but loosening them to the point where you can now slide the paper roll off of the coins with your right hand into your left in a cascading motion which clangs the coins together and is the first step in your search. (listening for that sweet sound of silver) this should still leave the stack of coins lined up in your hand for the edge check.

Than pass the coins from left hand to right hand in a cascading motion letting them fall into your right hand and once again listen for the ringing of silver.

Try this method. I can Search a box in less than 15 minutes this way.

Mojo
 
Some of these are pretty funny......GS, you cracked me up buddy!

My technique is very similar to Mojo. The only difference is after I pop the seal, I grab the end of the paper on the roll on popped seal end and tear it a little bit to loosen because I don't have the strength to push them through the roll with my thumb without doing that.

If there is silver in that roll, you will hear that distinctive sweet sound. Then once in the palm of my hand, I grab them and kinda like a slinky, I let them drop into my other hand from about an inch high listening once more time for the sweet sound.

About 15 minutes and I am done with a box.
 
handrolls
these are easy, i just find the easiest end and open it, then i run my finger around the inside of the wrapper until it is almost round. then i give the roll a little shake and slide all the coins into my right hand. i edge check all at once then use my thumb to slide each coin to my left hand for a quick date check.
machine rolls
i slice the machined end with a razor knife and peel the wrapper around to about half way then pour the coins in my right hand and continue just like the above.
[quoteFirst I lay out the rolls on the table. I get the lighting just right, turn on a little Barry White music, slip into something comfortable, pore myself a glass of cavasier liquor. Crack them open roll by roll look them up and down and touch them all over. Some say that I may have taken the hobbie a little too far. What do you guys think??

Golden Silver][/quote]
i dunno.....whats wrong with that? :icon_scratch:
 
All fed rolled coins I slice with a box cutter. I just edge search the halves. Dimes,I now check to see if they are 2009's. If not I slice the rolls real hard so that it cuts into the reeds. This will show th copper in dirty or questionable coins,but won't cause damage to the silver edge. Then I edge search, but more carefully. I've gotten good enough to tell by the edge if it is a Merc,Rosie,1/2 Swiss Franc,Canadian,or other foreign.I use a magnet to check the 67 & 68 Canadians.
Nickels,the least coin I search,I softly slice the edge of the roll. Then lay the coins on a table and quickly go through them.
 
golden silver said:
First I lay out the rolls on the table. I get the lighting just right, turn on a little Barry White music, slip into something comfortable, pore myself a glass of cavasier liquor. Crack them open roll by roll look them up and down and touch them all over. Some say that I may have taken the hobbie a little too far. What do you guys think??

Golden Silver

I do similarly only sip some cheap wine and do not particularly careto touch them all over, have found them to be quite dirty; thinkin bout doing the LJ thing with gloves. Have read where some put hem on the carpet & roll in them, so no you probably have not gone too far quite yet but please be cautious here; wonder what the "official" psychological designation will be for this type of thing?
 
I'm starting to see a correlation here. :sign13: Perhaps you can tell a lot about a person and what kind of lover they are by the way they open their rolls. Some scan the edges, rip right thru them, and some take their sweet time, covering all the details.....

Just a thought.
 
Similar to Mojo, I use a knife, but my pocket knife. I take the roll, stick the knife through the coiled wrapper on one of the ends and then with a quick circular cut I slice off the paper end and fling it in the wastebasket. Then I pour the roll into my hand and edge search before putting them on the desk to date search.

Man, I just got to get back into roll hunting like I used to. I read these stories every day during my lunch but I have had so much work to get caught up on this summer my CRH-ing has been few and far between.

Happy Hunting,

Scott (MI)
 
"I'm starting to see a correlation here. Perhaps you can tell a lot about a person and what kind of lover they are by the way they open their rolls. Some scan the edges, rip right thru them, and some take their sweet time, covering all the details.....

Just a thought."

-Wharghoul- Now this made me laugh. It scares me a little bit how you noticed that. LOL.


"I do similarly only sip some cheap wine and do not particularly careto touch them all over, have found them to be quite dirty; thinkin bout doing the LJ thing with gloves. Have read where some put hem on the carpet & roll in them, so no you probably have not gone too far quite yet but please be cautious here; wonder what the "official" psychological designation will be for this type of thing?"


"Some of these are pretty funny......GS, you cracked me up buddy!"

LJ, Girl you know thats how I roll!! (Pun intended)

Golden Silver


Obediah....dirty is alright you can't be afraid of getting a little dirty it's all part of the game :wink:
 
Like Mojo, I use a steak knife! I use that damn thing for EVERYTHING! Well, I go to one end of the roll and pry up the paper, then go to the other end and do the same, then I unroll it and edge search, without even touching the coins. Then I roll them back up and tape the machine roll shut. I can do a box in about $20 or so. While doing this I either watch a movie, TV show on DVD, or listen to music! I usually let my coins ferment, then make a day out of doing all of them, ends up a $250 day usually! ;D
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom