How do you swing?

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I see a lot of posts that comment on steel toed boots and I don't understand?????

That's all I hunt in and have never had a problem with them? infact I use the steel toe to check on my detector from time to time.

The question is how do you swing close to your feet elbow bent or arm straight and away from you feet?

I swing with my arm straight and away from my feet to maximize on the search covered by each swing.

The biggest NO NO I see others do when sweeping is at the end of their sweep they raise the coil up off the ground before moving it back in the opposite direction.

Onion

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I swing by keeping my coil on the ground & "SCRUBBING" However I have to keep my hand with my trawel behind my back to keep from getting a signal off it, so I know for a fact I would be getting some kind of interfearence if I wore Steel Toed Shoes. I wouldn''t be supprised if I'm getting a little something from my belt buckle Or the trash in my apron. But I havn't found a way to take care of them yet, short of using a Rope For a Belt & dragging My Trash/coin Bag behind on a rope. like Beach hunters do their sand scoops while using Minelabs

C

czman

Close to my feet and in a semi circle and scurb the ground...Don

jeremiah212

Jan 23, 2005
kahnawake, Quebec Canada
awayfrom my feet...
i keep my arm pefectly straght and swing from the hip, not the elbow or shoulder..
you'l never get sore like that

i too wear steel toe and also use it to check my machine..bt my land star in all metal mode is extremely sesitive and does on occasion pick up my foot steps if my feet get too close..

LOL i remember the first time i discovered this..i spent hours in the field one day cursing my machine before i realized it was my boots making my rig go nuts..

OP
OP
OnionRings

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
It must drive you crazy to have your sensitivity that high Jeff, your detector must pickup very pinhead in the ground. :) I guess that would be good for relic hunting in area's that aren't trashy.

Onion

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I'm on "AUTO" sens ALL the time. It's My W.O.T. Coil. I havn't found a place yet I can use Max. Sens. Without it Driving Me BATTY

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15" Coiltec Coil W.O.T. stands for Wounderful Orange Thing. Made Exclusively for Minelab Detectors I believe. Extremely Sensitive & DD

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Onion, first you have to undestand how a coil radiates a signal. MD coils are NOT directional. A directional antenna or coil would probably be very cost prohibitive on a metal detector. Some say they are "shielded" but this often refers to a type of extra winding that reduces or nulls out certain types of inteference that is common. So the combination of those two factors do figure into interference from boots or shoes with high metallic content in sensitive or more powerful metal detectors.

Now add to that the bigger coils, Jeff's WOT is a monster coil that gets super depth on just about everything. I often use the 10.5 inch coil on my CZ-7 and there are a range of lage coils out there that many use including those whites users who have those Bigfoot coils and large aftermarket coils in a number of configurations. All those big coils make it hard to keep the swing path of your coil away from your feet in a lot of circumstances.

D

Darod

Well,

By reading this post it sounds like most everyone is detecting with pretty good technique. I'm new at this so I have learned some good pointers. I've probably been guilty of all the shortcomings of bad swing technique mentioned here by you guys. However, here is my 2 cents on MY swing technique.

I constantly find myself wanting to cover more ground and thinking of rushing my swing speed and my forward progress. I'm not sure if it's due to my eagerness to just hurry up and find something or if it's because I'm always dealing with limited time and therefore want to cover as much ground as possible.

I try very hard to control these urges and keep my swing even in speed, arch, and overlap. I try to relax my arm and keep the fatigue issue at bay so I tend to bend my arm a bit at the elbow. When I find a "good" target I just love the pinpointing process. It has become a favorite part of the hunt, being able to look at the ground and say to myself, "it's right,......there", and then to dig the spot and low-and-behold it's right there :)

Anyway, that's my 2 cents for what it's worth. Keep swingin' everyone and I guess I should say to use your best technique :)

Rod

V

Vingamel

I keep my coil way out in front of me, and do a side-to-side sweep instead of a swing. Like others here, I keep my coil as close to the ground as possible. Because I've recently been doing a lot of hunting in rough terrain, I do end up with my boot under my coil as I scramble up and down gulches, but I've learned to expect the ping when this happens.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have actually pickedup the metal eylets in my shoes if I get too close by accident so I try to keep the coil out front of my shoes and sometimes even a little to the side. I learned not to swing from the elbow as I developed a really sore tennis elbow type ailment the first time out. JIM

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
I try to go low and slow,my fiance sometimes seems she at a track meet,but we both find nice items so I can't critize her method we she beats me have the time!

bigrig

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread