How far would a home be from a family cemetery back in the day?

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before I start, a disclaimer for the PC Police. I do not plan on metal detecting in or next to the cemetary. That would be abhorrent.

So through research I found a small family cemeterery in Iowa. I haven't been there yet, but I'm guessing it's going to be 1880's to 1900 time frame due to the history of the area (could be earlier, doubt that it's later). The location is rather hard to get to, so I'll end up hiking to the area and pack in my equipment. Due to it's location, I'm guessing nobody's been there metal detecting before.

My question to the TN community is, back in the day, how far away from the family home would the family cemetery be? I would like to find the cellar hole and check the area out when we get some good killing frosts to knock some of the foliage (and mosquitos) down. Would the cemetery be in any typical direction from the home?

Upvote 0

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard of any specific standards for locating a family plot. That said, I would think the plot would be within sight of the residence, and would be on high ground. Then again, sunrise or sunset, east or west, may have provided a very reverent setting when seen from the residence. Just trying to apply some logic.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100 feet from a house = Family Plot

Under the house = Serial Killer

The line between loving family member and serial killer is quite thin!

Mike

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
100 feet from a house = Family Plot Under the house = Serial Killer The line between loving family member and serial killer is quite thin! Mike

That's an awesome answer :)

OP
OP
F

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard of any specific standards for locating a family plot. That said, I would think the plot would be within sight of the residence, and would be on high ground. Then again, sunrise or sunset, east or west, may have provided a very reverent setting when seen from the residence. Just trying to apply some logic.

I like the logic. Looks like the plot is on a hill overlooking a creek, but a way back. Maybe I'll try to find the cemetery and then try to find spots that could have a direct view.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would guess the average family farm size for the time period to be at or near 100 acres...? Based on that way of thinking should be a home site within that square area.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While you're at it, beep the cemetery.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions