how good is the G2/GB against discing out aluminum?

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the method of swinging the coil gradually off the target until it is just off the tip. You will hear a distinct change or iron grunt on that junk. Actually a lot of detectors can work that way to ID bottle caps and can slaw. I have grown comfortable with my GB Pro doing it that way. I still dig some just to double check myself and I still have a high confidence in the method. To test it out just bury some coins and gold jewelry along with some tabs. You should pick it up pretty quick when you find the good stuff stays pretty much locked on to the VDI and solid tones and the junk gives grunts and VDIs up and down the scale.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am going to be honest with you, I owned the GB Pro and sold it. While it is a fantastic detector in iron infested ground, if you take it to an area where there is a good deal of aluminum and similar trash this detector becomes a nightmare. It locks on to metal beautifully and finds even the tiniest bits with ease and gives you a very solid target ID. Bottlecaps are hard to knock out as they often register as a silver coin.

If you are going to use this detector, set your discrimination where you feel is right and be prepared to dig everything above that. The only targets you can avoid are the ones that jump around on the screen wildly. And I didn't get many of those.

This detector was designed to find metal and brother, it sure does! I can see why relic hunters love these machines so much.

Cleetus

Oct 24, 2011
Salt Lake City, Ut.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I admit I'm fooled sometime by foil on my GB Pro, I also use the coil edge to check a target and that works great. . If it's a solid, distinct VDI signal I can usually count on it being Coin, ring, or bottle cap. If a bottle cap I just quit digging that VDI when I get 2 or three of them. But since Gold Ring doesn't have a VDI, I'm kind of stuck digging the bottle caps to hopefully find a ring. The only time Foil really fools me is when it is mashed flat. One thing I will say, (besides I love the machine and it is so easy to use), is that when I put on the 5" coil on, I can really separate multiple targets, and the machine is pretty quiet.. Small pieces of foil? Well I have occasionally dug VERY small pieces 8" down. But that is the trade off if you want a machine sensitive to small gold and other stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread