fistfulladirt said:
diggummup said:
This is a little off topic but what about .925 (sterling) silver jewelry? I've noticed that it doesn't sell as high on a weight to weight ratio as do silver coins. I mean silver is silver right? Not to mention Sterling has a higher silver content than a 90%er does. Has anyone else noticed this? Is it because besides the coins being silver they have a slight numismatic value also? Any thoughts?
Wondered myself, maybe coin is easily indentified, and more in demand.
I can tell you why. Sterling is sent to refiners. Also, it sometimes has to be broken down because the interior of the pieces contain non silver material meant to give the item strength. So what may appear to be a solid sterling knife could have something in the handle that is non silver.
When you sell to a local coin dealer junk silver coins, they are generally resold to other coin collectors (unless they are culls), or to wholesalers who sell them as $1000 face junk bags. This can apply to 40%ers as well. Many of the big, national online dealers like Apmex, Tulving, etc, sell $1000 face junk bags of both 40% and 90% and buy them from customers as well. Their buy/sell price spread is not too bad on $1000 face bags from what I have seen looking at their websites, although I have never dealt with them nor have I ever accumulated anything near that much in junk (wish I had though). The notion that all 40%ers get melted is simply incorrect.
If all the 90% silver that was sold to coin dealers were to be sent strictly to refiners, you would be getting way less than face, because the refiner would be paying them way less than face. Refiners don't pay as much for items that are not .999 pure.
This is why I recommend people own .999 silver if they can get it cheap enough, because when the price of silver does rise super high in the future, the amount of junk silver that will be sold to coin stores by grandpa and others is gonna be huge. My view is that they are gonna unload their stash before the silver bug who bought his/her .999 silver bullion in the past couple of years.
There is virtually no numismatic premium for junk silver coins when you sell, unless you happen to have a rare year. Some coin dealers will charge a bit more for Walkers than Franklins and Kennedys, although I would rather have the later years because they usually have more weight per coin due to not being so highly circulated.
Just my 2 cents.
Jim