• Total voters

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:)Well I am one of the new ones, I was on a long time ago and have recently came back too metal detecting and found this forum again. I must say it is greatly improved! I have been metal detecting since 1954 and have had at least 1 detector of all types except these new ground penetrating radars, sure wish I could see one work and prove its self. I have the places to go but a regular detector will not do the job for several reasons.
I have lots of "Whats is its" from over the years and will be posting them to try to ID them, some of them I have had for years and no one can ID them!
I am presently doing lots of detecting in Baja Mexico and will be posting some pictures, love that silver!

OP
OP
A

ashton9

WOW, seems like a couple decades of MD lull, then this past year the hobby is taking off again.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
20 years give or take a few.... ;)

BRD

Mar 26, 2004
I have been detecting since 1968, which makes 36 years. I still enjoy it, too.
BRD

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assembled a kit from Tandy Craft for a Heathkit BFO in 1962 and man alive did the beaches sing with silver and gold!!Couldn't go near the water but sure beat our wheeled beach screen sifter!!!Now sleek LST & GB2 are killer!!Tons a au 2 u 2-John ;D

X

X5er

i started in 1990 when my neighbor gave me his 6000 di pro because the analog meter stoped working. i thought the detector worked great, i found a lot of cool stuff with that machine. :)

C

chima_ogbuji

Hello, I found this forum while browsing the net on hidden treasures and I was fascinated by the idea of seeking and discovering hidden wealth. I write from Lagos Nigeria and I must confess this is a new area of interest, at least for me and so many form my part of the world. How can one get a metal detector and what kind of metals can they be used in detecting? Besides, how does one determine the price of detected precious metals on the one hand and a market value on the other?

Murph

Jul 19, 2004
sarasota
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT
Well its been one week and my experience so far has been a positive one. I think its mostly due to where I live. Ten minutes to a half an hour away is five beaches that see upscale tourist traffic year around. I had never taken notice before but these people most definitely wear expensive jewelry items to the beach with out a thought to how easily such items could be lost after smothering themselves in oil and then jump around chasing Frisbees and playing volleyball. Even the teenagers these days seem to have expensive jewelry and don't seem to give a second thought to wearing it out to the beach.

Buying a better detector is in my future as most every hit needs to be dug with my present machine so as not miss anything of value. Once again location helps me out here as turning over six inches of white powder sand is a pretty quick and easy chore. If I had to bust through six inches of hard dirt and roots every hit to find pull tabs and quarters 90% of the time and I could see how it would get old very quickly.

As luck would have it, it also appears that I am the only one working the Beach's. I have yet to see anyone else out there with a detector. At this point Sunday mornings at the crack of dawn on Siesta Key beach will become my normal routine. All I know for sure right now is this beats the hell out of dumping 30 dollars into a round of golf every Sunday just to lose another 15 dollars worth of golf balls, and cuss like a sailor in between.

Jessy

Jun 29, 2004
Started out in the 60s with a D-Tex (Delux) Still have it and it still works.
I have some different now Fisher, Garrett,Bounty H
I recently received a Troy (Shadow) X3 (Christmas)
I wish I had this machine in the 60s. ;)
Jess Boe

L

long_gunr

I just started 2 days ago ;) It is great fun. My wife and I go out and walk the beach looking for treasure. Another way for us to get out and spend time together :)
I just got a Tesoro Silver uMax and I must say it seems to be a very nice unit. I do not know much yet
but I am sure it will last me quite some time.

Great forum

Long_Gunr

X

X5er

Tesoros are very fine machines, you and your wife will have a liftime of fun? :D

Desertdigger

Jul 15, 2004
Wickenberg , AZ
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,Tesoro Lobo ST, Gold Bug ,Minelab probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tesoro is one of the best and they will stand behind their machines, no excuses. If you ever get the chance to visit the factory in Prescot, Az drop by and bring your machine, you will be pleasantly surprised, I was. No I do not work for them but I have the Lobo Super Traq that I upgraded to from my old Lobo which I had drug everywhere. I can work the drywasher tailings and find gold enough to pay for it and it also works excellent on coins and its LIGHT. You will aways be pleased with your Tesoro. You can buy worse.

T

The Rock

Been detecting for 20 years.
I was on marcs old forum about five years ago so that must make me an old new guy

OP
OP
A

ashton9

I analyst this poll as this so far: The Twenty Years group is dedicated. The One Year or Less group high numbers will result in loss of interest and not post anymore after they discover the hard work of metal detecting. It would be helpful if we can identify the veteran THer from the newbies. If you have been dedicated to TH for years, than please post a reply. Thanks! Ashton

M

mercypa

Hard work?I just started and it is the fun I have that will keep me doing it for years to come.Lets see:I found out about the history of the town I live in.Which by the way I only lived in for 6 years and lived in other places longer and never cared to know.That was interesting.I get outside with the the kids and have some fun.Every time my MD goes beep and we dig we find something that would have been lost forever if we didn't come along that's exciting no matter what's buried.Now if we find something of value well that's just a bonus.I am sure some people do this as their living and to put food on their table they have to work hard at it.My guess is they enjoy it or they would find another profession.As for me my 7:30 to 3:00 job puts food on the table and our hunting allows the family some time together.

L

long_gunr

Bravo Mercypa. I feel the exact same way you do. Even if I did give up after a while, I am having a lot of fun with my wife at the moment.
Hey ashton9, I have analyzed your most recent post and so far have come to the conclusion that you lost interest in the English language and proper grammar 20 years ago! Since when is metal detecting hard work?? I have absolutely no problem with walking around for hours and digging the occasional hole or sifting some sand. I would give you a medal for all your years of hard work but you have probably already? found one.? :D
Why not be a sport and post your criteria in the beginning. Gee can I still reply? I will be dedicated to TH for years. ::)

OP
OP
A

ashton9

Thanks! I fixed the grammer, I think,? long_gunr.? :P? I have analyzed that more new THers are trying to learn on this forum and responding to polls than older THers are reading this forum very often anymore. I was trying to implied that the hard work of MDing for twenty years are dedicate people and should be relied on. I wish I had there names so I could read all of their posts. I'm a newbie and I'm digging everything. The digging is not occasional or sifting in the sand.? :)

Gretchen

Aug 2, 2004
My husband and I started in 1966 after we were first married. Did the parks and beaches in Los Angeles County. Found a few coins and rings. Detected mostly in the evenings. Our first detectors were Detectrons built in San Gabriel, CA. Then we went to Whites. Then along came the family and not much in the last few years. Retired over a year ago and have been doing lake beaches and playgrounds with a Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Bounty Hunter). A very basic and easy to use machine. Finding plenty of coins, some silver. I find many things as the water goes down at this lake because of the drought. Today these things were found on the beach or water from just looking.
About 10 old soda bottles, a good pen knife, cigarette lighter, lip stick case, 2 nickels, 7 pennies. Just looking also I have found oar locks, marbles, silverware, some rings, bracelets, etc. About a week ago I found a 1900 Morgan silver dollar laying on a log in the water and 1906 Barber dime on the enbankment. Also found about 200 old soda pop bottles, milk bottles. This area is very trashy with all kinds of nails, screws and rusty large metal containers in the water. Other areas I have found coins and silver with the metal detector. Works perfectly in the water up to the control box. This model has an enclosed 7 inch coil which works easier and faster than my touch pads 8 inch coils of the Prizm II and Radio Shack Discovery 3000. (Bounty Hunter). P.S. The Discovery has a meter and a toggle switch that goes from all metal to discrimination. Perfect for what I do. Also for the first time today I used a long handle magnet in the water. It picks up the iron metal. Gretchen.

rico

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2004
1976 I started with a detector called a "wildcat". Are they still made and used?? I still have it packed away in the states. I am presently living in Philippines.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions