Wow Gman... I had no idea there were areas like that! In a sense I wish mine was too...
As it is, out of over 20 banks I have been to just this summer (to keep it recent) in my state I only found a SINGLE one with a coin machine. And it is a chain that only has ONE branch on my side of the bay. Their other like 10 branches are 30+ minutes away compared to this ones 10-15minutes, so they are all useless to me. But I made an account with them ANYWAY just to use that one coin counter machine. I wish I had more of them to spread my dumps around... because sometimes I make these tellers change out like 4 bags in one of my trips. =(
But I do love my handrolls... so I can't complain too much.
Sorry that you don't have access to any.
EDIT: I just remembered about the shopping center banks. Not sure how it is over there, but we have Stop and Shops up here which is a big chain of food stores (that carry a lot more than JUST food), and every single one I have been in has a citizens bank in it. Stop and Shop is a somewhat local name, but they are owned by a much bigger company that has other stores around the country under different names. So, check your stores like that in your area if you haven't already. ALSO, most Walmarts around here have a domestic bank in them. Both of these situations do not allow for a coin machine, as the space is so minimal in their little nook of the store that it isn't feasible to have one. And like I said... most of those citizens banks in the stop and shops don't even GET fed boxes and rely totally on customer coin.
Hope this helps you!
BUT BACK TO THE NICKEL SET DISCUSSION:
I did a little experiment and tallied the nickel finds from my last $400 in hand rolls and this is what I found. I thought it might be useful to some people posting in this thread as a comparison to fed rolls or as a means to see how much in face value it takes to get near a complete set:
Out of $400 in handrolls of nickels I ended up with:
39 of the 65 nickels in the set
which includes:
3 of the 11 war nickels
and
36 of the 54 NON-war nickels
I also ended up with 19 of the 21 nickels on the third page of my book, which INCLUDED the 1955 no D (under 10 mil mintage) and the 1958 no D (under 20 mil mintage).
Not too shabby in my opinion for only $400 worth of nickels. And it isn't like I only nabbed the 60-80+ million mintage nickels to tally the 39 of 65. There were quite a few lower nickels in there... in addition to the 55 and 58 already mentioned, I also nabbed the 50 no D for another sub 10 mil mintage, and also got quite a few 20 and 30 range million mintage.
Hope that info serves SOMEBODY. =)
~Dave