How many days above 32 degrees to thaw? Anyone know the formula?

nevrdundetecting

Sep 26, 2005
Wayne Co., WV
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, White's Prizm III, Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
Pro-Find 15 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The ground was frozen here for about 3 days, daytime temps only in the 20's to 30, and nighttime temps around 15....I checked the ground on Saturday morning and it was frozen about 1.5-2 inches....after a couple of hours of good sunlight and a high of 42 degrees, the ground was thawed and I hunted my yard for a little bit....the formula would depend on the specific heat of the soil and rocks....etc

specific heat=The specific heat is the amount of heat per unit mass required to raise the temperature by one degree Celsius

here's the formula:?

the formula can be rearranged to find different variables, the hard part would be determining the specific heat of the soil

HH

Attachments

• specific heat.gif
    specific heat.gif
    4.4 KB · Views: 149

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
is this a test, i like to call in sick..i go by my formula if the ground frez in dec, it will be thawed by mid of april, and it always works for me, lol

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
If the ground was frozen before the snowfall it will stay frozen. If the ground was soft before the snowfall it will still be soft. Wear an extra pair of pants and keep on hunting. exanimo, ss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread