How much do holes in coins hurt value?

insulator245

Jan 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre!
Hi, I was wondering how much value a necklace hole in a coin knocks off? I have some very good coins that I inherited from my grandfather that have holes in them. One an 1827 $.50 piece,a very high grade seated nickel from 1863, and a couple morgan and peace dollars. I can post pictures if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Chris

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I dont have an exact dollar amount but I would have to say value is hurt a lot from being holed. I would think probably as much as 90%. At the local coin store holed coins quite often sell on the auction board for next to nothing. I think the only way a holed coin would be worth much is if it was a key date. Just my two cents.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes,unfortunately unless it's a very rare key date,I would think that holed coins aren't worth too much more than melt value. JMO-good luck and H.H.-diggummup

R

Rich

i cant really remember but i think its a 3rd of the price of the coin without a hole,i still collect holed coins and alot of other people do also...

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with those who posted above. Value is pretty much shot. Coolness is never diminished though. You could probably help the value by putting the coins in a bezel and selling them as jewelry pieces. Most holed coins (even in high grades) sell as "culls" really cheaply, unless they are gold or key dates. For example, I bought an 1876-CC Seated Quarter in almost uncirculated condition for about 8 bucks ten years ago. It was a beautiful coin...except for the hole. I bought a silver bezel for the coin (which doesn't hurt it) and wear it occasionally as jewelry.

Hope this helps,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions