HOW MUCH GOLD IS LEFT OUT THERE?

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for grins, how about feedback on how much gold, that's "gettable" in your areas, is left in your county, watershed, or river?

Don't be too specific, but from experience, how many ounces are laying around your area of expertise(sp)? I know that when I
quit mining on the SF Yuba in calif. I guessed I had extracted about ten percent of ONE GRAVEL BAR and there's about 30 miles
of river left. I'm gonna guess at least 20,000 ozs. left on the Yuba.

Upvote 0

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
No gold left in Shasta county, dont come looking. ;)

I dont really have a good guess but the first hole that I worked had about 1/4 ounce or something around there in it and it was about a 10x10' space.
The second hole is where I got about 1 & 3/4 ounce more and it is a drop by about 20'x60' and I have only worked a small part of it, I would guess that spot would have around 5-10 ounces alone left in it.

There are thousands of drops just like this one on the lower part of the creek that I am working.
I really dont have a good guess though because I have checked other drops that should have been great gold catchers that had nothing left in them, others before me. :)

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it interesting facts about gold production and gold reserves on the planet.
It looks as if we haven't found all the gold yet.
I found this here.
HowStuffWorks "How much gold is there in the world?"

Figuring out the total amount of gold that has been produced by man is a little harder. To get at some kind of estimate, let's figure that the world has been producing gold at 50 million ounces a year for 200 years. That number is probably a little high, but when you figure that the Aztecs and the Egyptians produced a fair amount of gold for a long time, it's probably not too far off. Fifty million ounces * 200 years = 10 billion ounces. Ten billion ounces of gold would fit into a cube roughly 25 meters (about 82 feet) on a side. Consider that the Washington Monument measures 55 feet by 55 feet at its base and is 555 feet tall (17 x 17 x 170 m). That means that if you could somehow gather every scrap of gold that man has ever mined into one place, you could only build about one-third of the Washington Monument.

It is estimated that the total amount of gold yet to be retrieved from the Earth is 100,000 tons. South Africa is the world’s largest producer of gold and is estimated to have half of these gold resources. Both the United States and Brazil have significant amounts of the world’s gold resources. Approximately one-fifth of the total resources of gold in the world is by-product from copper and silver ores.

In the United States, Alaska and Nevada are the main producers of gold. Nevada produces the majority of the gold produced in all of the United States. The remaining are from placer deposits in Alaska, and other gold deposits in western states. Most of the gold recovered in the United States is recovered by only about 30 mines. The largest gold mines in the United States today are located in northern Nevada.

It looks like there is still plenty to go around. It also looks like we're in the right place to find it.
I think that football sized nugget is still out there and I'm not going to stop looking for it.
Let's go get some.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty left but with all the insane rules,regs ,permits,restrictions,restricted land designations and plan requirements unretrieveable now--John

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know where there are billions of $$$ worth ...proven,but as John said,if anybody ever gets it they will be Chinese when They take us over,cause they dont give two hoots about the enviro!!

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
[h=2]HOW MUCH GOLD IS LEFT OUT THERE?[/h]

More than enough to outlast me .

TAKODA

Aug 19, 2008
Alabama
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I found it interesting facts about gold production and gold reserves on the planet.
I found this here.

Figuring out the total amount of gold that has been produced by man is a little harder. To get at some kind of estimate, let's figure that the world has been producing gold at 50 million ounces a year for 200 years. That number is probably a little high, but when you figure that the Aztecs and the Egyptians produced a fair amount of gold for a long time, it's probably not too far off. Fifty million ounces * 200 years = 10 billion ounces. Ten billion ounces of gold would fit into a cube roughly 25 meters (about 82 feet) on a side. Consider that the Washington Monument measures 55 feet by 55 feet at its base and is 555 feet tall (17 x 17 x 170 m). That means that if you could somehow gather every scrap of gold that man has ever mined into one place, you could only build about one-third of the Washington Monument.

It is estimated that the total amount of gold yet to be retrieved from the Earth is 100,000 tons. South Africa is the world’s largest producer of gold and is estimated to have half of these gold resources. Both the United States and Brazil have significant amounts of the world’s gold resources. Approximately one-fifth of the total resources of gold in the world is by-product from copper and silver ores.

In the United States, Alaska and Nevada are the main producers of gold. Nevada produces the majority of the gold produced in all of the United States. The remaining are from placer deposits in Alaska, and other gold deposits in western states. Most of the gold recovered in the United States is recovered by only about 30 mines. The largest gold mines in the United States today are located in northern Nevada.

It looks like there is still plenty to go around. It also looks like we're in the right place to find it.
I think that football sized nugget is still out there and I'm not going to stop looking for it.
Let's go get some.

Equational guesstimates derived from various sampling techniques ( which amounts to the needle in a haystack analogy ) born of the commercially viable deposit effort . :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

NOBODY has a clue as to how much gold is in/on the plant at present .... or how much will
be here x amount of years from now . It's fun to speculate .......... but in reality , it's just
silliness .

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fullpan, you invest in toilet paper, 'cause it's gonna be bad.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, the year is 2020, the new republican president, facing 25% unemployment, has just signed an emergency Executive Order that suspends all enviro
regulations for a period of 5 years - what do you do now?

Burn fuel, and dig dig dig.

You get a hose, and you spray mountains.

The salmon run is ruined though...not quite worth it.

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
Aurabbit79er said:
I found this here.

I recently saw the same info. That amount is roughly 5% to 10% of what the experts say is still in the ground. Gives me hope as a complete rookie prospector. Happy hunting!!! :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If environmental restrictions went away, I'm afraid i'd be on the river the next day with a Bobcat, trommel, and maybe some TNT - so, maybe:dontknow:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
may be a gram or 2 out here

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There's enough in my secret spot to keep it secret! (On unclaimable land sadly) ... Hope you find one just like it!

Mine it and recycle it!

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm part of that percentage right now. I'm into my fourth month of Unemployment.
Granted it hasn't all been bad.
I've been able to go mining three times.
If I had been working I wouldn't have been able to do all the work on my coach that I have.
Fixed my exhaust manifold, plus a few other sundry items I found along the way.
And now the Golden Rabbit Tour Coach is back on the road.:occasion14::goldpan:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread