How much time before you pay your equipment off?

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really love all the different responses.

I am going to stick with the "Never break even monetarily" group. The time I have put in behind a detector does not have a price. The gas and equipment have cost me a pretty penny. My tired old soverign that now sits in the corner tells a long tale of treasure and many more skunks.

I had a person at work ask me what is the ratio of good hunts to bad hunts. I told him that you have to give up your family if you want to have the amount of stories I have. I have been skunked after driving many miles of dirt road more times than I care to admit.

When was the last time someone asked you if you have paid for your fishing rod? Never, but for some reason people think I should find enough to pay for my detector.

There is a very good possibility that I have paid for my detectors but I never really cared to run a balance sheet.

Long story short, Have fun and don't sweat the small stuff.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
i have a whites dfx300with 12inch coil headphones and a 5.3 inch eclipse coil $1,352.00, garrett propointer pinpointer $139.00 ,leshce hand trowel $45.00,lesche 48inch landshark relic shovel$75.00, bundle of rubber palmed and fingers gloves $20.00,a garrett ace 250 $165.00 , and a bounty hunter prospector dx with head phones $300.00all purchased in the last 2 years for a grand total of $2,096.00 not looking to pay it off any time soon if she is worried about pay off rate and you are not married get rid of her buy a really good machine and the gear to go with it and then find a new woman .you should be the only one digging for gold

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Actually I'm not worried about paying off the machine or any other equipment that goes with the hobby just out to have fun get some excersise and enjoy the fresh air. To me it gives me a chance to just get away from everyday stuff and just be alone with only thoughts of what is under my detector. Just keeping a total to see how well I am doing.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
doodman said:
How long does it take you to find 250$ worth of stuff?

-Al

Who cares? It's a hobby, enjoy it!! :wink:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doodman said:

-Al

When you start worrying about how long it takes to pay off equipment, it is no longer a fun hobby, it then becomes a job, you can make a lot more money working elsewhere for mininum wage....

If you keep it as a hobby, then it becomes a fun hobby that has the potential to pay for itself.......Not counting all the great exersize, fresh air, and nice people you meet...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
how long does it take a fisherman to "pay" for his rod and reel and line ,hooks, sinkers plus his bait ---and time spent fishing ---to "break even" money wize at the price per pound of fish caught ?

no one would think "hobby fishing" in those terms --yet folks think of "hobby" metal detecting in those terms almost always it seems. :icon_scratch:

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got lucky. My first one was a D-TEX top of the line. I don't remember how much it cost now, but I paid for it and a Jeep the first month. I found a sterling silver dinner service in a collapsed dug out. The dealer took in on consignment and I got half. My check was $1,150. This is the only thing I have ever sold.

ben2go

Sep 27, 2008
Upstate,SC,USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Ace 250 cost me $250 new.I haven't found $1 worth of stuff in four years with it,but the fun makes up for it.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
ben2go said:
Ace 250 cost me $250 new.I haven't found $1 worth of stuff in four years with it,but the fun makes up for it.

You haven't found anything? Do you have batteries in it? Is it turned on? My first day out with it I found $1.91 and second time found $2.13 so something must be up with your machine

ben2go

Sep 27, 2008
Upstate,SC,USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Frank1960 said:
ben2go said:

You haven't found anything? Do you have batteries in it? Is it turned on? My first day out with it I found $1.91 and second time found $2.13 so something must be up with your machine

I live in an area that has been flattened for housing developments and business.Plus I haven't been able to get out to good spots much.Hopefully this year I will be getting out to some place that haven't been touched in decades.

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I think we all can agree that this is one hobby that no matter how much or how fast, instead of only paying to play, we make money doing it...
Cant do that with many hobbies, especially fishing...

ben2go

Sep 27, 2008
Upstate,SC,USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Agreed.I find stuff, just not valuable stuff.It's the unknown story of a found item, and trying to figure it out,that keeps me interested.I'd really be excited if I found some old relics or artifacts connected to our history.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doodman said:

Also, where do you bring your things if you want cash for them? Are pawn shops best, or maybe send your gold rings to that crazy dude that promises cash for gold on TV?

-Al

2 years ago on my 2nd hunt ever I found a gold wedding band and the melt value was enough to pay for my Ace250 but I woundup keeping the ring. :icon_pirat:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I will tell you a sad story that effects my answer! I once saved everything I found. From my first find of a $5 gold coin to my first casch find of 13 silver dollars. 11 years ago my house burned down. I got out with my skivies on and nothing else! when going thru the ashes the only thing I found were the 13 silver dollars, I still have them. That taught me a lesson. I only save highly unique, to me, items. Everything is turned into cash. I save gold wedding bands until the price of gold jumps up like around'80 or now. I sell it to a jewler. The diamond, ruby and emeral rings go to another jewler. They have their specialities! Do I do it for the money? Yes! So I can keep doing it!!! The thrill lies in all three, research,the hunt and the discovery. So far this year I have found a gold ring with a 2ct. ruby and a 200 year old ax made by a blacksmith that I have mounted in black walnut. App.$3500 total value!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread