✅ SOLVED How old and used for what??

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Today was my second day out with my new Garrett Ace 350. I've found a bunch of junk but I've had a blast! I found these in Cassville, Ga behind my house. One is a large square head bolt and the other is some type of buckle. Just wondering if anyone has an idea of what these might have been used for and the time period in which they may have been used. Thanks guys!

IMG_0735.JPG

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks to me like you have part of a horse bit, probably a snaffle bit. If there are no threads, it looks to me like the other item is a large square nail spike.
looseringsnaffle.jpg This is a snaffle bit.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not a nail spike because it actually has threads and isn't tapered. It just looks tapered in the picture.

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How old and used for what?

< 88 and for the pleasure of the Ladies ( if you get my drift)

Upvote 0

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How is that new machine? I hear they are outstanding! What I think you might have is a home made hitch pin and linchpin used to pull a small trailer by dropping the hitch pin through a hole on the bumper of the pull vehicle then using the linchpin to secure it. Take a closer look at the threaded piece and see if it might have a hole drilled through it to accommodate the linchpin. Good luck with that dirt fishin' and go crazy with that 350!!!

Upvote 0

Teamroper

Nov 10, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be pretty hard to age the snaffle bit since they've been made for a lot of years. I've used them since I was a kid and I just dug up two in the last month that are probably about 40 yrs old. Sorry, I can't be of more assistance. Just something to think about.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

CMartis

Jan 3, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Texas Kid, The 350 is my first machine so I don't have anything to compare it too. Other than that I love it. Every hole I dig I find something. Mostly trash but hopefully I'll find some civil war goodies soon. These two pieces were a few hundred yards apart so I doubt they are related. I'd like to think that snaffle bit come from civil war cavalry!! LOL Thanks for your input!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread