How old are these lead dice?

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found these two dice about 3 feet apart around 8" down. I had no idea what they were until I scrubbed them with a soft tooth brush. I believe they are made of lead as they are quite heavy for their size (.5" square).

I found them on a 1700s homestead. It was occupied by the same family until 1960.

Does anyone know how old these might be?

Attachments

• dice.JPG
    dice.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
T

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are smaller than modern dice. They are .5" square. The 6 and 1 are on opposite sides. I never expected to find anything like this and had no idea what they were until I cleaned them up. This site has been a real treasure trove of artifacts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an interesting point. I'll bet a lot of them had fun with these. Or maybe not if they lost money!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My longtime friend FFuries wrote:
> Cool, don't have a clue on age, but apparently they are not a one off item per se.

No offense, but I think those dice are indeed a "one off" (one-of-a-kind) item. Nobody has mentioned the clue, so I will. The indented "dots" on Trunkman's homemade lead dice were made by the tip of a square-nail/cut-nail. I've never seen THAT before, in my 40+ years as a digger and dealer of civil war relics, which has included examining soldier-made dice from Army campsites.

The dice's finder, Trunkman, wrote:
> Does anyone know how old these might be?

The fact that the indented dots in your dice were made by the small end of a square-nail/cut-nail indicates somebody home-made them for his own use anytime from the early-1800s to about 1920.... most probably in the first half of that date-range.

Upvote 0

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the unique set of dice! Great find! Thanks for sharing.

Upvote 0

FloodcityTom

Jun 25, 2020
West Va
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher gold Bug, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely made from lead. Dice are a common "Trench art" item found in Civil war camps. I would dig that area very well, you just may run into a Militia camp/Bivoac or mustering point for soldiers, anywhere from the Rev war to war of 1812 to Civil war era, If the house dates to the 1700's. I'm not sure where you are located what state but that might be a factor as to whot lost these.

Great Find

Upvote 0

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
My longtime friend FFuries wrote:
> Cool, don't have a clue on age, but apparently they are not a one off item per se.

No offense, but I think those dice are indeed a "one off" (one-of-a-kind) item. Nobody has mentioned the clue, so I will. The indented "dots" on Trunkman's homemade lead dice were made by the tip of a square-nail/cut-nail. I've never seen THAT before, in my 40+ years as a digger and dealer of civil war relics, which has included examining soldier-made dice from Army campsites.

The dice's finder, Trunkman, wrote:
> Does anyone know how old these might be?

The fact that the indented dots in your dice were made by the small end of a square-nail/cut-nail indicates somebody home-made them for his own use anytime from the early-1800s to about 1920.... most probably in the first half of that date-range.

See just proves what I always say "I know enough, to know, I don't know enough".:notworthy:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TCG. I appreciate your input. You are right, they are definitely one offs. They are not perfectly square, the dots are lined up differently on each one as well. They did not come out of a mold. I have found well over a hundred square cut nails on the property. The tips look like they would fit right into the dots.

Any idea on the value of these?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FloodcityTom - I'm in Western NY on the shore of Lake Ontario. The area I'm hunting was traveled extensively by the French and British. It was also on an Indian trade route. Lots of activity here. I've been digging deep and swinging slow. I have already found lots of buttons among other things.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're welcome, Trunkman. Sorry, I have no idea about your find's dollar-value. In the past several decades, people have paid about $20 for a single home-made lead dice found in a civil war military encampment site. It helps the value somewhat that you found a matching pair. To me personally, it's waaay cool that the guy who made them used a square-nail to create the dots. Like I said, I've never-ever seen that done before. Absolutely handcrafted, not the usual made in a casting-mold. To get the best price, you'll have to find somebody who appreciates those facts. If you intend to sell your 150-to-200 years old homemade lead dice, (and remember to mention the age of square-nails), I suggest using Ebay, with a "reserve" floor on the bidding to keep you from getting lowballed. You might be surprised at how much some collectors will pay for "literally unique" hand-made relics like your lead dice.

Upvote 0

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing you found a pair. I wonder what the last roll of the dice was before you found them.?

Upvote 0

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. Crap games in the Army go back to Ceasar's legions. Probably the same game, only the players change. lol

Upvote 0

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think those dice are a really cool piece of history, and what was remade into something to pass time-a gaming piece. Congrats on getting the pair!

I have had an untold amounts of "Had's" in life-now it's more on the side "Have's" in life-but the day will come where it be "I had" in life again.
One can always replace the little $$$ they'll get for an item-but will it replace the feeling of looking at the item-when it brings back the memories of digging it up or sharing the find when someone asks about them.

Upvote 0

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I do think that the dice were made by soldiers, since you said that they were smaller . Most of the lead bullets they had access too, would not make a pair of dice as large as modern ones. Using a cut nail [ good eye ] is a good clue, too. I have seen smaller dice recovered from from old campsites that the maker must have used the tip of a knife to make the holes. Also, look again to see if they are numbered the same as new dice, as many soldiers might not have known the correct pattern. [ 1 & 6 on opposite sides, etc.] Gambling has been an ongoing problem with soldiers, ever since the FIRST soldiers.
BANNER FIND !

Upvote 0

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I also meant to add that I suggest really searching the area where these were found, by sifting. Many small personal items were not lost, but in the pockets, pouches, of soldiers. Look for fabric, leather, etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

Trunkman

Oct 10, 2013
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for your feedback. As always it was enjoyable and informative. I've learned a lot from these forums.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread