How old are these slat back chairs and their value??

Becca D

Mar 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve had these ladder back/slat back chairs for about 10 years. Iā€™d like to know more about them, exactly what they are, and their approximate value. There seems to be the number 17 carved or stamped on the right back u underneath on all 6 chairs.
E4B7D027-7E24-43E1-BD10-53693E509B07.jpeg D7A870D2-16A1-456D-8795-14FCBE487232.jpeg 1CB4846D-AF28-44BE-8098-A2434EFC97A2.jpeg

ProspectingForStone

Nov 17, 2017
North East USA Maine
Detector(s) used
Raider Gold, Old machine of my Father's
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Iā€™ve had these ladder back/slat back chairs for about 10 years. Iā€™d like to know more about them, exactly what they are, and their approximate value. There seems to be the number 17 carved or stamped on the right back u underneath on all 6 chairs.
View attachment 1567749 View attachment 1567750 View attachment 1567751

The closest example I have found are Shaker made chairs, the style of these resembles chairs made by Shakers, around 18th century.

The weave on the seat, and the slats on the back resemble chairs made by Shakers, around 18th century.

This does not mean that actually is what they are, but to my eye they do resemble some.

https://www.skinnerinc.com/auctions/3058T/lots/1264

The slat back example in the photo sold at auction for 49 dollars. That is what it sold for, looking for price range, that is an indicator that the public is willing to purchase chairs like this for 50 dollars each range.

As far as selling it, that is up to you to determine your price.

Generally the value for something is usually what people are willing to pay for it.

I would recommend trying if you can to find an appraiser if you sincerely believe they are very old.

My thoughts on this, are only my thoughts on it, and are no guarantee. They simply resemble chairs made by Shakers to my eye.

I am no expert, and that is only my humble opinion.

They are very nice chairs regardless how old.

I was not able to find what a 17 carved or stamped on the bottom may mean, perhaps 17th century, I am not 100 percent certain. That is only an idea.

Good luck.

Upvote 0

ProspectingForStone

Nov 17, 2017
North East USA Maine
Detector(s) used
Raider Gold, Old machine of my Father's
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
By the way, the link to the other thread Plug and Play gave, does have very good information in it.

Especially there was a member whom said they think the seventeen etched on the chair is an indicator of size, I am inclined here to agree as well with this, seems an indicator of the size of the chair seat.

I have found many shaker chairs, and other slat back variety chairs while online researching that suggest 17 in (I believe) to be a very common size for such chairs.

I think it is an indicator of the seat measurements, which with the square seem to be equal in many cases. 17 lngth and width.

Also a member also pointed out these you have here are different than commonly made shaker chairs. Indicated the filigree on the posts of your chairs at the back is not common in a shaker slat back style chair. Note from the photo of shaker style chairs up for auction that I gave you that the banister back style chair there has much of the carved round circle decoration on the back chair poles, while the slat back style chair has none of this, but solid wood there for the back legs of the chairs. With your particular chairs there seems a combination. There is a back slat style, with the circular wooden carved decoration there on the back leg poles, and there is a lot of decoration. To my eye the decorative carving does not exactly look hand carved. It is too symmetrical, imo, with hand carving you may see difference and more imperfections within the decorative carving.

With this in mind these do not exactly look shaker made.

They resemble them.

The silver lining is they are still nice, they simply may not be old.

As a set they may sell for 50 dollars each. If you can find out for certain they are not actually shaker made, and you did a very nice job with an upholster on the seats, tastefully done you may be able to sell them for a bit more. But then again if they are not shaker and you choose to upholster them it may end up being more work than it may be worth.

If they should actually be shaker do not re-upholster. Leave as is.

Personally, I feel they more likely simply were made to resemble shaker style like slat back chairs.

Best of luck selling if you decide to.

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here... I will "throw you a bone"...

And tell you what you have... so you can research closer...

"spindle ladder back"

Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ehhhh better yet...

"rush seat spindle ladder back"