Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Here is a copy of an email I just sent to Garrett:

----------------------------------------------------------
Dear [email protected]:

I have a GTI 2500. I have enjoyed coin hunting with it. Soon it will be cool again, and I am looking for the best way to optimize my GTI 2500 for gold hunting. If possible, I want to set it for gold, and gold only. I primarily prospect deep in the Arizona desert, and hit the desert areas in New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah several times a year. What settings do you recommend? What is the best GTI 2500 search coil for gold prospecting in these areas? (Or do you recommend that I purchase another detector for gold prospecting?)

Thank you,
----------------------------------------------------------

I love to hear from any TNetter's out there who have already optimized their 2500's for Gold only!

I will post Garrett's response when I receive it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am curious as to Garrett's response to your letter. Generally I don't think the GTI 2500 would be the best detector for tiny gold nuggets. You could always hunt in All Metal and check out every target. If you will look at the screen where it shows where gold shows up, it includes an area up to coins so other targets like pull tabs for example would also register where gold is on the scale.

I think they might suggest you use the Garrett Scorpion or Infinium LS.

Good Luck and let us know what Garrett says.

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Okay, it's been one week (actually, 8 days) without any response from Garrett.

(Didn't even get one of those automated responses like most other businesses send!)

I intend to re-send my original email to Garrett tomorrow, just in case they say they didn't get it.

Can you spell c-u-s-t-o-m-e-r s-e-r-v-i-c-e ?

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
SECOND REQUEST emailed to Garrett (see my first post). I'll give them a week or so to respond.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Two weeks and no response...

I guess the Garrett reps are either too scared to answer, or have been ordered not to answer my question.

This leads me to another question. (I'll start a new post.)

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Got the email from Garrett today.

The GTI 2500 can't be optimized for gold-only.

email follows:

Bob,

The GTI 2500 is great for gold prospecting, but unfortunately there is no way to set a detector to just pick up gold because there are too many targets that look the same to a metal detector. The factory recommends hunting in the all metal mode and listening for every target you hear. The best coil for this application is the 5 x 10 DD. It retails for $149.95. If you would like to order, please call the 800# below, or you can order from our distributor for your area, Jobe Wholesale at 866-838-5623.

Thanks,

Melinda Harper
Customer Service Hobby Division
Garrett Metal Detectors
1881 W. State St.
Garland, TX 75042
Phone: (972) 494-6151
Phone: (800) 527-4011
Fax: (972) 494-1881

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Arizona Bob said:
Got the email from Garrett today.

The GTI 2500 can't be optimized for gold-only.

email follows:

Bob,

The GTI 2500 is great for gold prospecting, but unfortunately there is no way to set a detector to just pick up gold because there are too many targets that look the same to a metal detector. The factory recommends hunting in the all metal mode and listening for every target you hear. The best coil for this application is the 5 x 10 DD. It retails for $149.95. If you would like to order, please call the 800# below, or you can order from our distributor for your area, Jobe Wholesale at 866-838-5623.

Thanks,

Melinda Harper
Customer Service Hobby Division
Garrett Metal Detectors
1881 W. State St.
Garland, TX 75042
Phone: (972) 494-6151
Phone: (800) 527-4011
Fax: (972) 494-1881

well better late than never i suppose. not really the response you were hoping for im sure. :'(

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Yeah, hollowpointred... not what I hoped to hear.

Melinda stated, "listening for every target you hear." but I think she mean't "digging for every target you hear".

Either way, that $4,000 gold detector is looking pretty good right now! ;D

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Willy said:
I did some testing with a GTI 2500 and found that the 5x10" DD lacked the sensitivity of the stock coil re. small gold. Maybe the smallest coil would work better. ..Willy.
Yes, for gold it works fine. But if large nuggets have been found it may work with the DD.
even with 4,000 $ detector you still have the same rules, dig everything or you might make the next hunter happy!

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yes I see your point Willy. Arizona bob won't probably get in to a river with the GTI thats what I based my post on.

Willy

I dunno, I've done some dredging down in Az a few years ago. Regardless, I was just pointing out (admittedly a bit extreme, but true) that sometimes the amount of trash, coupled with super tough digging, can make a 'dig everything' resolution something on par with the numerous failed ones from New Years past. The same thing holds true with coin/jewelery/relic hunting.. the person who digs everything will scoop all the goodies; rarely happens though. ...Willy.

OP
OP
Arizona Bob

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Yeah. I certainly hope that I haven't given the impression that I dig every signal. I usually dig every signal for about the first hour, then I slack off. :D

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Arizona Bob said:
Yeah. I certainly hope that I haven't given the impression that I dig every signal. I usually dig every signal for about the first hour, then I slack off. :D
No you did not, but rather the opposite.
If possible, I want to set it for gold, and gold only.
As you said. I mostly do the first 2-3 hours then I go home. ;D

Willy:
Yes I know what you mean I suggested so because you don't miss as much.About the rivers:
I primarily prospect deep in the Arizona desert, and hit the desert areas in New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah several times a year.
;D ;D ;D

BigTex

Jan 6, 2008
Hey AzBob, I am heading your way to do some prospecting in the Stanton area, and was curious if you ever had any luck with your GTI 2500. That's what I have, and I haven't used it for gold before. Any pointers that you could share??

Thanks in advance for any and all advice on this...

Best,

BigTex
Springtown, Tx

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Arizona Bob said:
Two weeks and no response...

I guess the Garrett reps are either too scared to answer, or have been ordered not to answer my question.

This leads me to another question. (I'll start a new post.)
...You did not get a answer from Garrett at this time for they close for 2 weeks over Xmas & New Years................................................==Jim==

bavarianminister

Dec 9, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett GTA1000, GTAX550, ACE250, Fisher 1212, Minelab X-terra, Whites DFX
I found some gold in Arizona during a three year stint at Fort Huachuca. I was using the Fisher goldbug - the original gold bug. I have found that if you try elimination of any trash metals with any sorts of discrimination - then you will miss the good stuff also. Anyway - the goldbug has no discrimination. You will find a lot of trash also.

Bavarian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread