What's new

How to read a wash in the desert to decide where to sample?

Idazona45

Greenie
Joined
Jan 28, 2026
Messages
15
Reaction score
51
Golden Thread
0
Location
Palouse, WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll be down in Yuma, AZ next month and did some online research to narrow down the areas I'll be targeting to look for gold. These will all be dry washes that received some record floods the past few months.

I've watched a couple of videos of folks looking for gold in washes and think I have the basics down as to good spots to check. Mostly it seems is common sense such as bedrock spots, where the water started to slow down, and streaks of black sand.

Any other signs or clues that folks here have found to indicate a good spot to look for color?
 
Upvote 0
I'd be looking for wash's that flowed from highly mineralized hillside's , and possibly do a video search for some promising area's to detect !
Good tip! I'll be checking out the Laguna Place area just outside of town.
 
I'll be down in Yuma, AZ next month and did some online research to narrow down the areas I'll be targeting to look for gold. These will all be dry washes that received some record floods the past few months.

I've watched a couple of videos of folks looking for gold in washes and think I have the basics down as to good spots to check. Mostly it seems is common sense such as bedrock spots, where the water started to slow down, and streaks of black sand.

Any other signs or clues that folks here have found to indicate a good spot to look for color?
Don't be afraid to test pan or detect where others are not testing, I say because of what nature could have done in the past.
 
I'd be looking for wash's that flowed from highly mineralized hillside's , and possibly do a video search for some promising area's to detect !

And then skip the wash and check the hillside starting at it's base. As far as black sands in the wash, look upflow of them. Gold drops out before there.
 
And then skip the wash and check the hillside starting at it's base. As far as black sands in the wash, look upflow of them. Gold drops out before there.
Good point in general. A few fines will make it to the wash area to be picked up by the test pan.
 
If you find a big boulder in the middle of the wash, be sure to check both
behind and in front of it, and up to several feet in both directions.

I have sat in my driftboat in a river, anchored over some big boulders, and have watched as material
settled both behind and in front of the boulder. :icon_thumright:
 
If you find a big boulder in the middle of the wash, be sure to check both
behind and in front of it, and up to several feet in both directions.

I have sat in my driftboat in a river, anchored over some big boulders, and have watched as material
settled both behind and in front of the boulder. :icon_thumright:
If one can figure out if the boulder was placed before, during or after the wash was mostly filled in would help on the digging question. Some test pans are called for.
 
If one can figure out if the boulder was placed before, during or after the wash was mostly filled in would help on the digging question. Some test pans are called for.
If the ladder happened, I would tend to say the wash is "All washed out"............:laughing7::goldpan:
I made a typo of ladder instead of later........ :cat:


The point is when the boulder and perhaps the event that made the boulder move to its resting point makes all the difference.
 
Last edited:
If the ladder happened I would tend to say the wash is "All washed out"............:laughing7::goldpan:

Ladder doesn't usually happen unless there is a big dam nearby, and that would change everything!


iu
 
Ladder doesn't usually happen unless there is a big dam nearby, and that would change everything!


iu
That is sure one large boulder / dam excuse my typo.
Do you think if the dam was quickly removed there would be some boulders moving down stream?
 
Last edited:
This is the area I'll be exploring...

20260121_011417.webp


Any specific areas that look good to more experienced eyes?

This little wash through a mineral rich outcropping got my attention...

20260121_010905 (1).webp
 
That location is close to the fork in the road for EZ access and it looks highly mineralized . It looks good so far ! NOW to check it out! Looks like you'll be busy for many hours there ! GOOD LUCK !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom