How to sell scrap metal when you dont know how!

hyderconsulting

Apr 17, 2007
How to sell scrap metal when you don't know how!

Taking your scrap metal to the scrap yard can be pretty intimidating to just about anyone since you often don't know how to get the most out of it, how to separate it out to do so, how clean it should be and so on. The best thing to do is to simply let the scalemaster (the guy/gal grading out your metal) do the work for you. Let's take copper scrap as an example since it has the highest value and how clean it is can be quite critical. Say you have a few pounds of clean, bright 12 gauge wire, a few pounds of the same of 16 gauge and of 18 gauge, some clean, bright copper pipe and a few pounds of copper pipe corroded some with solder on it in places. Do you throw any or all of it together in a box to put on the scales? Probably not a good idea. Do this instead. Simply separate out all of this into separate boxes or buckets and then let the scalemaster decide how to lump them together. He may weigh the 16 and 18 gauge wire together, maybe even the 12 gauge and the clean, bright pipe along with it but by doing it this way you get the best price since it is easy for him to figure out the best way to separate it for the scrap yard. Every scrap yard handles the same scrap type different ways. There is no set national standard they go by. Don't be afraid to ask the scalemaster why he separated your scrap out a certain way. Also hang around a few minutes at the scales to see what they are doing with other people's scrap metal and how they are separating it out. It's a big learning process unfortunately. Contact me about my book on scrap metal recycling. I explain everything I can about the business and how to get the most for your scrap. Regards, Chris Hyder. cell phone 423-715-4828.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread