How would you rate the CZ-3D to the AT Pro?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of us that have used the CZ's know how good they are. It also seems the manufactures like to bring out new models to fuel our fears that we aren't finding enough and the new thing on the block is the one to have. The CZ's, any one of them blow the AT PRO away.

Sent by SANDMAN

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has to be a constant pushing of new is better than old to keep business turning over. You don't have to fall for it. Of the two machines I would pick most CZ's (not the CZ 7 though) unless something like weight is a factor.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There both different machines & im sure each would excell over the other in certain áreas A would be better then B then vice versa. Its a touchy subject when questions asked like this which is better u have lots on both sided being brand loyal etc. The one thing i do c alot when these questions are asked its always whats better A or the Atpro its always compared to every machine in just about every which is better question

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There has to be a constant pushing of new is better than old to keep business turning over. You don't have to fall for it.

[sarcasm]LOL that's right! So don't be fooled into buying that new car when a 20 year old one is not only cheaper, but better.[/sarcasm]

You know Brian, I respect your opinion, but we sure seem to disagree a lot.

I agree with christo000. Different machines for different needs. See what people are using in your area, for the type of hunting you plan to do, to help make your choice. Most experienced people have already gone through the trial period and are using what works best for them. Trust the majority when in doubt.

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There both different machines & im sure each would excell over the other in certain áreas A would be better then B then vice versa. Its a touchy subject when questions asked like this which is better u have lots on both sided being brand loyal etc. The one thing i do c alot when these questions are asked its always whats better A or the Atpro its always compared to every machine in just about every which is better question

So true.......hard to compare one against another. Sorta like which is the better deer rifle or car, Ford or Chevy. With cars we just want to get from A to point B in comfort.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The at pro would probably do much better in

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(Sorry I hit the send button by accident)

The at pro would do much better in trashy areas due to its DD coil and iron audio. However, the CZ 3d would truly excel in most other conditions, especially on the beach. The CZ 3d is a multi-frequency machine (it sends out two frequencies at the same time) allowing it to perform much better than single frequency machines in harsh conditions such as wet sand.
So, if you plan to do a lot of beach hunting there's no contest (just make sure that you don't get the control box wet!). Also, the CZ 3d should go slightly deeper than the at pro under normal circumstances. However, depth is only half the battle. Discrimination and target separation are equally as vital when hunting. Like I stated earlier, the AT Pro has great target separation, giving it an edge in heavy-iron areas. Also, it is waterproof, so if you plan on doing FRESHWATER hunting, the at pro would be a no brainer. All in all, it really boils down to your location and where you'll be hunting.
HH!
C4C

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
The CZ is a BEAST compared to the AT Pro in harsh conditions. But the two are as dis-similar as apples and oranges. You can hunt gold nuggets with the AT Pro, but leave it home when you hit the salt beaches or high iron soils. In an open field, the CZ will make you wonder why in heck you ever considered bringing the AT Pro to hunt there. The AT Pro is much more forgiving in discrimination though, because the CZ is more of a relic hunter. If you want to find small gold you would be better served to buy a Gold Bug Pro instead. If you want to hunt with discrimination on salt beaches, buy a CZ20, 21, CZ70, or a Sovereign, I've owned and used both types. If you want an all-around detector get a CZ70 and turn off the notch filter and listen to the tones, it will blow the doors off of a Sovereign on salt beaches by 1-2", and run smoother, quieter too. Or, as an alternative, buy an F70 and buy the DD oval coil, and it can double as a pretty fair nugget/small gold hunter/depth demon/relic hunter.:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Warshrike

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
Thanks for all of the information so far. I doubt i will be doing much water hunting. I will mostly be hunting fields andold home sites for coins and relics. I live in Indiana so I think my soil is OK

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old homesites are often really trashy though, so an AT Pro might be your best bet for that.

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
See below..

Last edited:

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No Crazy, the CZ's will do much better because they can be run in "no notch" or in true all-metal, and they do not see the smaller than a thumbtack iron junk easily either, but the CZ3D will double as a gold nugget hunter, but the other CZ's will not.. The AT pro will work better in a more (recent) park, but only because less iron is in it. Where there is a lot of iron junk, the AT Pro will drive a person nearly nuts with all its noise. Not so with a CZ or Minelab Sovereign. No notch mode (AKA all-metal) makes a CZ find (all) relics dime-sized and bigger very easily, while avoiding the small half thumbtack sized iron. They are very unique in that regard, designed that way, and that's why people don't want to sell them. Again, the AT Pro is a poor relic hunter, it wasn't intended for that use. At 15 Khz, it is mostly an all-around detector, the CZ's with two frequencies are designed specifically for searching old home sites, battlefields, and salt beaches as are their sisters the CZ20 and CZ 21. The CZ's are all made to find old brass, copper, and bronze very deep and very loud and KellyCo even says that in their Ads. Those three metals were dominant and contingent of, with, and for the Civil War era.:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking 6 khz would be your "all-around" detector. At 15 khz it would be a detector for low conductors and small targets. On paper of course, as ground conditions can make a difference. The AT Pro does very well at finding deep relics and is very sensitive to small targets. Here is some of the small stuff I find missed by other detectors.

There are 8 little metal targets on that penny

Attachments

• tinytiny.jpg
    tinytiny.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 127

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Crazy, the CZ's will do much better because they can be run in "no notch" or in true all-metal, and they do not see the smaller than a thumbtack iron junk easily either, but the CZ3D will double as a gold nugget hunter, but the other CZ's will not.. The AT pro will work better in a more (recent) park, but only because less iron is in it. Where there is a lot of iron junk, the AT Pro will drive a person nearly nuts with all its noise. Not so with a CZ or Minelab Sovereign. No notch mode (AKA all-metal) makes a CZ find (all) relics dime-sized and bigger very easily, while avoiding the small half thumbtack sized iron. They are very unique in that regard, designed that way, and that's why people don't want to sell them. Again, the AT Pro is a poor relic hunter, it wasn't intended for that use. At 15 Khz, it is mostly an all-around detector, the CZ's with two frequencies are designed specifically for searching old home sites, battlefields, and salt beaches as are their sisters the CZ20 and CZ 21. The CZ's are all made to find old brass, copper, and bronze very deep and very loud and KellyCo even says that in their Ads. Those three metals were dominant and contingent of, with, and for the Civil War era.:icon_thumleft:

Ya the Atpro does alot better then u think I mainly relic hunt & I have great luck with it

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have owned a CZ 5 for almost 20 years and it is very similar to the CZ3D and know it like the back of my hand. I have considered the AT PRO after almost jumping on the bandwagon after hearing both the pros and cons. My past experience (s) with Garrett detectors resulted with two machines that failed just after the 2 year warranty expired. As a result, I have decided to hold on to my beloved CZ5 and pass on the AT PRO. BTW, the CZ5 does have very good target separation. Only about a month ago, I recovered a silver dime 3 inches below a 2 inch bottle cap. That is GREAT target separation, if you ask me! You won't go wrong with a CZ that is for sure!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like hearing the praises on the 3D. I'm giving up my Deus to get one. This will be my first high end Fisher and am actually looking more forward to this machine than any others I've had in the past.

OP
OP
Warshrike

Warshrike

Nov 1, 2009
I asked Bart about one but he has none in stock and said they may no longer be available. Wonder if they are being discontinued??? If so then I have to either get the ATpro or an Xterra 705

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kellyco says they have a couple on there site but also says,límited quanity to

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I asked Bart about one but he has none in stock and said they may no longer be available. Wonder if they are being discontinued??? If so then I have to either get the ATpro or an Xterra 705

Actually I am considering getting a CZ3D before they are gone....Too bad they are being discontinued if that is the case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread